Rerolled Games of the Year - 2013

Sean_sl

shitlord
Just one game is really not enough to represent a year. Pick some games, as many as you want, that you think really exemplified 2013. What really represented the year for you? They don't have to be good games either. Bad games can also be quite evocative of a year.

Mine are:

Dead Space 3&Aliens Colonial Marines- Fuck these games, seriously (and I didn't even play ACM). These two games represent the really ugly and shitty side of game development and were pretty big stand outs that started 2013 off with some really huge piles of dogshit that never should have happened. Dead Space 3 wouldn't be the last of EA's massive fuck ups in 2013 either - Hi SimCity and lol BF4 bugs & crashes. Often the games industry just shits all over gamers and ruins IPs and EA & Gearbox really screwed the pooch with these franchises.

And now for some good stuff!

Ni no Kuni- My favorite RPG of the year. Sure, it has some Party AI problems, but those are just a tiny scuff on an amazingly beautiful game. It's an old school RPG with a full world map and lots of towns and something that Square said was impossible on the last generation of hardware (fuck them for that, seriously). Pretty much everything from the voice acting, visuals, sound track, story, characters, were fantastic.

Fire Emblem: Awakening- Sadly, I have not gotten to play this yet due to a backlog of games from picking up a 3DS late in the year. However, everyone who has played this has called this game nothing short of amazing. I really cannot wait to play it, as from everything that has been said it's easily one of the best games this year. Yes, I haven't even played it, but it's supposedly so good that I am listing it.

Atelier Ayesha,Time & Eternity,The Guided Fate Paradox,Disgaea D2,Ys: Memories of Celceta,Rune Factory 4,Etrian Odyssey IV,Etrian Odyssey Untold,Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate,Project X Zone,Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix,Soul Sacrifice,Pokemon X/Y,Shin Megami Tensei IV,Tales of Xillia, andDragon's Crown- these are all good/great RPGs of various sizes and cross-RPG genres that deserve some love. 2013 had a lot of releases from smaller developers on the RPG front and they really delivered for lovers of the genre.

It was a massive year for RPG fans,easilyone of the best years for the genre if not the best year for it. Amazingly enough, 2014 is also starting off with a huge bang for RPGs too. I am just immensely looking forward to the next year and February can't come soon enough.

DmC: Devil May Cry- My favorite Action Game of the year, though it's really tough to pick between this andMetal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Revegeancecompletelylived up to my expectations as an amazing Platinum Games game, though I think it's really underrated and definitely deserves mention. Go play it if you haven't. DmC, on the other hand,blew awaymy expectations and is a really fantastic reboot that deserves a lot of love. Yeah, I didn't like Dante's new look when it was first shown off, but the new character really grew on me and he deserves to be Dante.

Tomb Raider- Wow, this wasanotherhell of a reboot. The gameplay was great, the game was beautiful, the sound work was really good, and the story and new Lara were well done despite the obvious dissonance between her thoughts and your actions playing her.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag- Pirates. Ships. Huge Open World. Holy fuck, I loved sailing around in this so much. This was easily the best AC game for me so far and I didn't even care about the AC elements in it, though those were far better than AC3's. Yes Ubisoft, we do want a Pirate focused game with no AC elements. Please hurry the fuck up and make one that combines this game and the elements of Sid Meier's Pirates.

Grand Theft Auto V- I had pretty low expectations going into this and it floored me. I was astounded by the scale of what they pulled off on the X360 & PS3. The sheer size and scale of this game is impressive in its own right. It's also the only GTA besides Vice City that I really could get into. The characters were fun and the switching between 3 main characters mechanic was more than just some novel bullshit and turned out to be an incredibly well done system. The story was really fun, though I do wish there were more big heists, there really weren't enough of those. Online pretty much sucks and died and didn't live up to anyone's wishes, but that should not be a mark against an absolutely gargantuan single player experience.

Bioshock Infinite- The gameplay was theonlything that wasn't totally amazing about this game. The environment, atmosphere, story, characters, music, everything. I think anyone who says otherwise is full of shit. This did the Bioshock name proud, for the most part. Sure, the gunplay was janky and there not really being anything but "arena fights" was meh, but it was definitely not "bad." And the violence of it all was right in tune with what was going on. Bioshock Infinite is one hell of an experience.

The Last of Us- If I had to pick one game for Game of the Year, it would be this game. Bioshock Infinite is amazing as hell in every area except its gameplay and The Last of Us is amazing as hell in all of those areas *and* its gameplay. The Survival aspect of this game was just fantastic in both its story elements and its gameplay and everything fit like a perfect glove. And I'm really glad that it wasn't a "zombie game." It was definitely a story about surviving against people, who are far scarier and uglier than any zombie ever could be. Though the zombie aspect of it was done really well too. The Last of Us was definitely both the experienceandthe game of the year for me (though it was a tough pick between this and the new Zelda)

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds- This might be the best Zelda game ever made. For me, it's certainly the best Zelda game since A Link to the Past. There's no hand holding at all, not even the tiniest bit of it. The game just throws you into a Zelda world, just like LttP, and tells you to have at it. I wasn't sure I would be down with the whole "rental system" when I first heard about it, but it's actually incredibly well done when you actually play with it. The Freedom to do whatever you want in this game is great and there is so much to do. It's also definitely not just a retread of LttP, even though it looks like it on the surface. It is definitely a new game with a ton of new content and fantastic mechanics. The gameplay is perfect. If you don't have a 3DS yet - go buy oneright fucking nowand get this game.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Ni no Kuni, Fire Emblem Awakening, and A Link Between Worlds were my favorite games this year.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Great year for games but no game even touches Last of Us, if you haven't played it then you suck.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Looking at the list of "upcoming" games for 2013, I don't think much on that list would make the cut. Still some other stuff I liked this year:

Path of Exile
. Technically been playable for a while but released this year, with a new act and a new class. Real F2P, lots of depth, tons of hours to sink into the game. Does have issues in endgame but I didn't care much since I'm more about leveling chars than farming endgame shit in this type of game to begin with, so it caters to my needs. I think I have 300+hours played on this, counting closed beta and such.

Ni no Kuni. Great game, not the best, but the art was outrageously good, the story was pretty interesting and the combat, while flawed, was still very fun. Hope for more Ghibli cooperations.

Risk of Rain. Surprising indie game, not really long but very good action, lots of fun, big surprise for me since I hadn't heard about the game at all. Great music, cool art, nice take on the rogue style.

Dragon's Crown. Really cool artstyle but more importantly, very good beat em up combat, cool diablo-like features added to it for a RPG progression. Just a fuckton of fun to play, also for some reason was cheaper than normal games even though it was on PS3. Definitely underrated.

That's about it. Note that I didn't buy a 3DS yet so I haven't played the 3DS games, many of which look like they're fucking insane(Bravely Default, Fire Emblem, Zelda). I was also disapointed by some big hits, for example I found The Last of Us to be ok, but nothing crazy. Story was fairly boring, maybe it's the main character that does that but don't know, didn't feel very entertained and gameplay other than the story was very average. It's a story game but I didn't like the story too much so yeah.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Dota 2 is hands down my GOTY.

Runners up are GTA V, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, and Ni No Kuni.

I may edit this and add reasons for why later.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't have a ps3 so I couldn't play Ni No Kuni or Last of Us, but of the games I did play, Tomb Raider was definitely my favorite game of the year imo. Unfortunately it's one of those games that I probably won't touch again for a few years and then go and replay it again once I forget some of it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I didn't have many "amazing" games this year, but then again I didn't play that many of them. The one that I played (for PS3) and instantly loved was GTA5. This game was so incredibly well done. I only ever played the single player campaign, and it held my attention for a month or more. The characters were perfect, the game play was perfect, the controls were perfect. I loved this fucking game.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not even a competition. Last of Us by light years.

Dragon's Crown is definitely the most underrated game of the year, though.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
real life? its repackaged every year but someone people still have yet to purchase it.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If Lucius Vorenus was the main character of Ryse how many of you would have declared it the best game ever created? I think I would have.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Dota 2 is hands down my GOTY.

Runners up are GTA V, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, and Ni No Kuni.

I may edit this and add reasons for why later.
Well I guess Dota 2 was released this year, but it's been more or less open beta for so long I didn't mention it. I'd say it was "released" on TI2 or so, at that point you could get keys from bots and shit. But yeah otherwise it would probably game of the year.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
The Last of Us, nothing else comes close for me. Distant second would be Bioshock Infinite followed closely by Ni No Kuni.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
1. Last of Us
2. Tomb Raider
3. Metro: Last Light
4. GTA V
5. Resident Evil: Revelations

Saints Row IV got bumped by RE:R just in the last week, I still haven't played AC4 due to how painful it is to have to slog through AC:R to get to it, and while I loved the opening episode of Wolf Among Us, I'll reserve judgement for whenever Telltale finally decides to release the rest of it. DmC and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing deserve mention too, as does Deadly Premonition Director's Cut.

Wish I could share Sean's love for 2013 as the year of the RPG, but I thought Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia, and Atelier Ayesha all sucked, Dragon's Crown felt like a grind within the first few hours and never got better before I gave up on it, and I don't have a 3DS to play SMT4 and Fire Emblem.

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
1. Tha last of us is amazing, in virtually every way. That ones a no brainer.

2. Gta5, online was boring, single player was great though.

3. Ac4, best of the series, multiplayer again nothing to write home about.

4. Saints 4 just for the pure hilarity of it all.

5. killzone, shadow fall. Got a lot of grief, and not so great reviews, but i'm playing the hell out if it and enjoying it.

my top 5

colossalFISH

Silver Knight of the Realm
No surprises in my list. All 4 of these games were a fucking blast to play for me this year minus the number of shitty multiplayer experiences -

1. The Last of Us - Simply a masterpiece of a game and I even enjoyed the Multiplayer.
2. Assassins Creed 4 - PIRATES.
3. Tomb Raider - An absolutely brilliant game slightly dented by a complete abortion of a Multiplayer that never should have existed.
4. Grand Theft Auto 5 - Best GTA to date IMO minus the MP that was a huge bust after all the hype.

Ni no Kuni was a huge let down for me. A lot of it was probably down to the fact everyone was pumping it up as the best thing to happen to jrpgs since sliced bread. Just didn't do it for me. Visually it was stunning though.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Do you guys that didn't like Ni no Kuni not like Ghibli stories/themes? I agree the combat and AI wasn't top notch but visuals/story/music (basically what Ghibli was in charge of) were all A+ which was enough to drag the gameplay up for me. However if you don't like Ghibli then it was probably disappointing compared to the hype.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
Uh...Europa Universalis IV?

I feel alone all of sudden
smile.png