Retro Game of the Month December 2017: Phantasy Star IV (Genesis)

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Hope you're not too busy getting ready for Christmas, 'cuz we're RPGing it this month with what is commonly considered the best game in its series...

Phantasy Star IV

latest

phantasy-star-iv-virtual-console-20081222084448054-2693237_640w.jpg

gfs_45475_2_6.jpg

gfs_45475_2_3.jpg

Wikipedia blurb:
Phantasy Star IV, released in Japan as Phantasy Star: The End of the Millennium (ファンタシースター 千年紀の終りに), is a role-playing video game released for the Mega Drive/Genesis in Japan in 1993 and Europe and North America in 1995. It is the fourth and final game in the original Phantasy Star series, concluding the story of the Algol Star System. The game was also made available on the Wii Virtual Console in Japan on June 24, 2008, in the PAL regions on November 14, 2008, and in North America on December 22, 2008, for the price of 800 Wii Points.[1] Phantasy Star IV is also part of the Sega Genesis Collection on the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable and on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Phantasy Star IV kept many of the gameplay elements of the previous game, including turn-based battles, overhead exploration, and magic spells. The game met with mixed reviews upon its release, but has been subject to very positive critical retrospectives.

Have at it!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I don't have a whole lot of time to play through this again right now, but my avatar probably shows that I loved this game. Hope you all enjoy it!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I like the box art. This is going to be fun because even though I had a genesis, I never played the RPGs on it. Not sure why, I played tons on SNES and early ps1. They always just looked inferior to the square stuff. I hope this proves my childhood bias wrong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

It was a good idea to track down the japanese cover for the game, because it made me realize that there is no IV or 4 on it. So I re-checked my Megadrive collection and found out that I actually do have the game! So... to play it on original hardware on a CRT in lush RGB or to play it on the official emulator in a language I understand at 100% instead of 10%? Or play both at the same time?????

• 3Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You may have too much free time on your hands....

To play great games.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Never actually played a Phantasy Star game other than a little bit of PSOnline with a friend at their house one day.

So this should be fun - also I randomly thought of what I want to propose for next month, if we are not breaking off RPGs - Wild Arms

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Intro done:

Its hard as I am a FF grown RPGer so the names and whatever are all crazy - my intro screen didn't say IV it said the title - so maybe I dont have the USA version- but the item names and spells are harsh to understand as I am used to "potion" "cure" etc.

SEGA 3 buttons are annoying, but that's not the games fault

Buying 1 item at a time...sucks...but memories, as buying 99 potions was "my job" when I was little any my brother was playing FF1 lol - i would sit there any press B over and over and over, so a little memory there from this game :)

I like the anime cutscenes in the dialog so that is cool.

Off to the valley of birth!

• 1Solidarity

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Got some cold beers and some warm, wooly socks. About to dive into this. Really excited since I've never played a Phantasy Star game.

• 1Solidarity

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Sweet it opens just like Chrono Trigger. RPG trope of black screen with someone getting you out of bed.

• 1Solidarity

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Got the ball rolling tonight.

Overall I'm pretty impressed. When I saw a few screen shots before playing, I thought the overworld character sprites looked a bit cheesy with the black outlines and the cutesy faces, but they've grown on me. I think a lot of the background tile work looks really good, too. The comic panel cutscenes look fantastic and definitely add impact to the plot.

Speaking of which, the writing is really good. The localization is on point and the plot progresses at a nice pace. There are nice touches like varying descriptions of copy-pasted terrain elements (some people keep cleaner kitchens than others).

The most difficult thing about getting started was replacing my Final Fantasy vocabulary with an all-new set of items and spells. Monomate? That's not remotely intuitive. I also haven't figured out a better way to determine what your spells do than trying them out in battle, but I think I'm nitpicking here since there are a lot of modern commodities that weren't commonplace back then.

The music is also pretty darn good. The Genesis has a pretty limited sound card but clever and talented devs and composers can squeeze some great tunes out of it.

zyzGGXg.jpg

8M2kezH.jpg

I thought this was hilarious.

3pzo6IF.jpg

The cut scenes...

ADfr9SD.jpg

Seriously, they look great!
zyzGGXg

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
qdhiUwX.jpg

:emoji_flushed::emoji_flushed::emoji_flushed:

7lrd2I5.jpg

Yeah, you pretty much gotta start from scratch to figure out what SANER, SHIFT, and FOI do. There aren't any real clues in the names. (Also, this game features some really testicular enemies.)

hQrWOCU.jpg

Apparently the Japanese didn't have much respect for academia even back then!

AZaQaHz.jpg

The portraits look quite nice.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm enjoying it, but a couple things irking me a bit:

- When you try to move into an object, if you're near the corner it automatically makes you walk around it. I've had several instances where I want to inspect a cabinet or whatever, but I end up accidentally auto-walking past it.
- I love that you can inspect stuff and get flavor text, but I often find myself having trouble talking to moving NPCs. Instead of talking to them, I get the "You're wasting time" or whatever from my party members because I'm inspecting the air.

I think the textures look nice, but the overworld characters and NPCs are pretty bad looking. That said, I love the graphics during battles, and I think the monster design is really creative.

I'm definitely looking forward to working my way through this as the month progresses.

• 1Solidarity

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
If anyone is playing a Phantasy Star game for the first time, and you want to hit the ground running full speed, RPGClassics.com - Phantasy Star IV is a great source for the details about which spells and items do what (and also pretty much everything else there is to know about the game too). I'd like to specifically point out the page called Combination Spells. Finding those combos on your own by accident was pretty awesome back in 1995, but ain't nobody got time for that in 2017.

Edit: My favorite memory of this game was the first time I beat it, the finishing blow on the final boss was Grand Cross. The sprites and animation lined up so perfectly that the devs had to have done it on purpose.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Siliconemelons

Pros: "Talk" command, I am not far in (basement/store room) however as I play here and there during work I know I am going to forget a specific small objective sometime and this "what am I to do now" button is great, FF needs these lol

Battle system visuals growing on me (btw does anyone bother with a shield vs 2 weapons?)

The anime-ness is hilarious at time lol esp the tropes like her age is ?? And the dude that's like "her measurements are ... BAM!" Lol

Con: the place I am at now had a big enemy curve - may need to grind some...

Spell names, as said - they are odd and no "hint" at least you can inspect items to see what they do - when I got a new dude in my party and was like "maybe this is his heal spell..." and ended up being teleported back to the start of the game...fuuuuu. Lol

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Goddammit guys, it sounds awesome but I don't think I'll have time to play it.

• 1Solidarity

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There any way to see stats of equipment in stores before you buy? Kinda annoying just buying shit blind =\

Combo attacks + macro are perfect for grinding if you need levels. Just set up outside a town, set the first macro to triblaster or whatever to clear all the enemies and grind until TP is gone, then hit the inn real quick.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
It was a good idea to track down the japanese cover for the game, because it made me realize that there is no IV or 4 on it. So I re-checked my Megadrive collection and found out that I actually do have the game! So... to play it on original hardware on a CRT in lush RGB or to play it on the official emulator in a language I understand at 100% instead of 10%? Or play both at the same time?????
What did you end up deciding on?

I found some fan service in school book shelves:

cA0ldIq.jpg

J7EZjDj.jpg

mBJLaCt.jpg

...And was wondering if they did something similar in the Japanese version.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll get started on this soon, maybe tonight.

I agree that you should look at the reference guide for spell effects, items and stats, and combos.

They stuck with a lot of the same names throughout the series, but I can't imagine trying to figure that out now.

The funny thing about this game. Because it was so big for a Genesis game it actually cost me $100 at release which I think was absurd