Retro Game of the Month December 2017: Phantasy Star IV (Genesis)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I dunno about save state scumming, but the turbo mode in emulators is a life saver for these old RPGs. Any kind of overworld travel/grinding/finding that last chest in a dungeon you better bet your sweet ass I'm running that shit at triple speed.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
As much as I've loved a lot of great RPGs, I have to admit I've usually avoided using magic in battle to the greatest extent possible, mostly because I just felt like I was consuming a precious resource (MP). I usually spam attacks and reserve magic for curing allies and fighting bosses, and so far I've been playing PSIV the same way.

However, now that I want to grind for money so I can get ceramic armor for my crew, I figured I'd make use of the combination spell grinding in order to save time (the Steam version of PSIV doesn't let you speed up the game as far as I know), but I still don't get quite how it works. Even with a simple ZAN-WAT combo, sometimes it triggers and sometimes the two spells are cast separately. Any ideas why that's the case?

I really like to take my time with RPGs and play them as thoroughly as I can, speaking to all NPCs and trying to find all the chests in dungeons. However, since it just took a nice chunk of time just to catch up with what was going on in Nalya and Aiedo, I'm starting to think I may not be able to finish this game by the end of the month!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
As much as I've loved a lot of great RPGs, I have to admit I've usually avoided using magic in battle to the greatest extent possible, mostly because I just felt like I was consuming a precious resource (MP). I usually spam attacks and reserve magic for curing allies and fighting bosses, and so far I've been playing PSIV the same way.

However, now that I want to grind for money so I can get ceramic armor for my crew, I figured I'd make use of the combination spell grinding in order to save time (the Steam version of PSIV doesn't let you speed up the game as far as I know), but I still don't get quite how it works. Even with a simple ZAN-WAT combo, sometimes it triggers and sometimes the two spells are cast separately. Any ideas why that's the case?

I really like to take my time with RPGs and play them as thoroughly as I can, speaking to all NPCs and trying to find all the chests in dungeons. However, since it just took a nice chunk of time just to catch up with what was going on in Nalya and Aiedo, I'm starting to think I may not be able to finish this game by the end of the month!

Even the basic combos that don't require a specific order like blizzard (wat+zan) still require that the actions happen directly after one another. So if Han casts wat, then Chaz attacks, then Rune casts Zan, it won't work. If you're just farming have everyone but the two performing the combo on defense for the first 3 actions, then the combo pair as the last two actions. That will work 100% of the time, but can be slow and the other 3 party members aren't really doing anything. Otherwise you need to try and order the casts by who tends to act first to get it in to proper sequence.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There are skill combos but they don't work very well outside of macros since they only trigger if the characters in the combo are next to each other in the turn order.

gL8GnSN.jpg

Siliconemelons

Tanoomba Tanoomba I am the same, even with sword skills etc. The odd spell names have amplified this practice.

However where I am now, doing the same, to farm ceramics and levels... I will take this time to learn the skills and spells... just wish this was not near such a rip off Inn! No wonder those girls jumped out the window!

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Tanoomba Tanoomba I am the same, even with sword skills etc. The odd spell names have amplified this practice.

However where I am now, doing the same, to farm ceramics and levels... I will take this time to learn the skills and spells... just wish this was not near such a rip off Inn! No wonder those girls jumped out the window!
You can stay at Alys's house for free!

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
So there's no easy item to rez dead party members? I had 3 of my 4 people die last night, and barely made it back to town with my last guy alive. I looked at a few different towns/shops for some kind of rez item, but didn't find anything. So I googled and it looks like you only get a spell and some very rare items later. Not sure how I feel about that.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
More fan service:

kN6tADP.jpg

Weird thing is every dresser in this inn has one.

QDStkhY.jpg

These ladies dance to the theme from Fantasy Zone, which is cute.

kqoRLBi.jpg

Some of the writing is just bizarre.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

while farming for ceramic armor and weapons I decided now that I got spells and skills a little more under my belt I attempted the sand worm mission - killed em with 1 death - reloaded and managed to get through - 5k exp got all my people in the 12s - and 6kish money (5 from reward) got me almost all the ceramic armor - sans everyone's "chest armor" so - off to zios castle tomorrow!! [\spoiler]

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So there's no easy item to rez dead party members? I had 3 of my 4 people die last night, and barely made it back to town with my last guy alive. I looked at a few different towns/shops for some kind of rez item, but didn't find anything. So I googled and it looks like you only get a spell and some very rare items later. Not sure how I feel about that.
Correct.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Well there's no way I'm going to be completing this game, or even coming close this month. Any chance this game can extend another month? Kinda bad timing with the holidays and having a longer RPG type game.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Well there's no way I'm going to be completing this game, or even coming close this month. Any chance this game can extend another month? Kinda bad timing with the holidays and having a longer RPG type game.
I hear ya.

Here's my suggestion:
Continue nominating/voting for games a usual, BUT focus on platformers or other reasonably short games for January so we can keep discussing PSIV while offering a couple of hours and some lighthearted discussion about Earthworm Jim or Dino City or something.

As for PSIV,
I'm pretty impressed at the word building, and that's without having any previous (lasting) knowledge of the Phantasy Star universe. Exploring the remains of a crashed ship that was once filled with survivors from a destroyed planet was actually pretty cool, even though it seems to be entirely optional.

• 1Solidarity

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

Always carry an escapepipe and a telepipe in case your rezzer(s) get wiped out so you can teleport back to town to use an inn. I'm pretty near endgame right now and I have I think only like 3 rez items?

Szlia

What did you end up deciding on?

I found some fan service in school book shelves:

cA0ldIq.jpg

J7EZjDj.jpg

mBJLaCt.jpg

...And was wondering if they did something similar in the Japanese version.
The Golden Axe vol 3 is there (Kin no ono - dai 3 kan) as is Run! Hedgehog, Run! (Hashire! Harinezumi!!), but between them are The Ceramic Soldier (Seramikku no heitai), The Naked Queen (Hadaka no Jyoousama), Motavian... something? (Motabian shikkaku) and Great Men Biographies : Dr. Ruben (Ijin no denki - Ruben hakase).

Motavian are a space race in Phantasy Star apparently, but I am not sure what the other references are.

• 1Solidarity