Retro Game of the Month Nomination Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Siliconemelons

God vagrant story, if they distilled anime convolutedness and made it not only a games plot, but mechanics and battle system.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
God vagrant story, if they distilled anime convolutedness and made it not only a games plot, but mechanics and battle system.

I wanted to like it so much, but the combat system reeeeally didn't do it for me.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Last nomination so we can get the poll going:

Battletoads (NES)

Vote for the game you'd like to play in February here.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Now accepting nominations for March's Retro Game of the Month.

1 nomination per person, first 10 will become part of the poll.

Szlia

I look at my shelf and realize how many Saturn games I have yet to play. I'll not submit one though because I doubt many of us have a Saturn and apparently there is no good emulator for it, so... yeah.

As a PS1 game was mentioned I'll add another to the list: Valkyrie Profile.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I look at my shelf and realize how many Saturn games I have yet to play. I'll not submit one though because I doubt many of us have a Saturn and apparently there is no good emulator for it, so... yeah.

As a PS1 game was mentioned I'll add another to the list: Valkyrie Profile.
Although I'm not sure if they hold up well, I quite enjoyed Clockwork Knight 1 & 2. Played them a lot at a friend's house back in the day. I'm disappointed that I've never gotten my hands on a copy of Sonic Jam, although I can't complain too much since I do have Panzer Dragoon Saga (which, incidentally, I've never played...).

speaking of, did we ever decide where our line is? PS1 games are "retro" but PS2 aren't maybe? how far back do we go here?
I primarily had the 8 & 16-bit generations in mind, partly because there's a lot of shared nostalgia there but also because it's ridiculously easy for anyone to get access to pretty much any games from that era. I didn't set any rules, though, as I figured we could see how this evolved organically and accommodate the tastes of the majority. If you want to nominate a PS2 game I'll allow it. So far all the winners have been NES, SNES or Genesis games so far, though.

Szlia

[...], although I can't complain too much since I do have Panzer Dragoon Saga (which, incidentally, I've never played...).
Heh... that was the game I was about to submit, though I have the significantly cheaper japanese version (bought $20 - I think you need to add at least one zero for a US version and maybe at least three for a EU version?).

EDIT: Now that I think of it, playing a Saturn game might prove tricky because I probably need to change the battery in my Saturn... on top of that I have a EU Saturn with an adapter, but I think some japanese games worked oddly on it and I have never tested the JP Saturn that I have (and I am not sure if I can use the EU video cables with it)!

EDIT2: After a quick trip on eBay it seems Panzer Dragoon Saga is about the same price for the US and EU version: around $600 with variations depending on the state it is in). Around $40 for the JP version!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I primarily had the 8 & 16-bit generations in mind, partly because there's a lot of shared nostalgia there but also because it's ridiculously easy for anyone to get access to pretty much any games from that era. I didn't set any rules, though, as I figured we could see how this evolved organically and accommodate the tastes of the majority. If you want to nominate a PS2 game I'll allow it. So far all the winners have been NES, SNES or Genesis games so far, though.

i think we should draw a line and say that, in order to be nominable, a game must be old enough to legally buy a beer in its country of origin.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Heh... that was the game I was about to submit, though I have the significantly cheaper japanese version (bought $20 - I think you need to add at least one zero for a US version and maybe at least three for a EU version?).

EDIT: Now that I think of it, playing a Saturn game might prove tricky because I probably need to change the battery in my Saturn... on top of that I have a EU Saturn with an adapter, but I think some japanese games worked oddly on it and I have never tested the JP Saturn that I have (and I am not sure if I can use the EU video cables with it)!
Oh the Saturn would prove plenty tricky for me, too. I know the battery is dead (my brother put a good half day's effort into Panzer Dragoon Saga, only to lose all his progress the moment the console shut down, and that was ages ago) and I'd have to go wire fishing to find the right setup.

Here's my humble Saturn collection, anyway:
td13F8v.jpg

The one without a title on the side (for some reason) is Astal.

Szlia

I have exactly one US Saturn game: Enemy Zero :) I tried to play it back in the days without much success!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gens Emulator, at least some version, was definitely able to run Sega Saturn and Sega CD games. I played through Shining Force 3 and Dark Wizard probably a little over a decade ago on it. However, I'm not sure how easy it is to get set up anymore, or how easy it would be to find the obviously illegal bios files.

My nomination is for Arcana for the SNES.

Pro tip if this wins: it might not look like it, but when you buy gear? There's actually more pages with more shit to buy, like armor. When I played it on a rental from First Run Video back in the early 90s, I didn't notice that fact and ended up basically at the end of the game through the power of grinding and wearing the first set of armor in the game. Don't do that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user