Retro Game of the Month November 2017: Soul Blazer (SNES)

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
You will notice that a lot of the sound effects are identical in Actraiser, Actraiser 2 and Soul Blader/Soul Blazer (and possibly in other Quintet games). The 'ow' the character makes when getting hurt, the metallic sound of invulnerable enemies, etc... the score is not made by the same composer though.

As well as the statuses up top like player health, the text font, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ryanz

<Banned>
Here's my janky ass setup for trying out SoulBlazer.

SoulBlazer.jpg

I've only played for a few minutes but I'd rather my character not move so freaking fast and instead have an an option to run/walk by maybe pressing and holding a button. I can't kite shit with the usual run away turn around real quick swing, rinse repeat method without running right into the mob. I'm sure I'll get use to the speed after a while but just an initial gripe.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
So I put about 3 1/2 hours in today. I beat the mermaid level, so I already got further than I did the last time I played.

It's kind of reminding me of Zelda 3 with how nice it feels to swing that sword around. Unlike Zelda, though, there's no knockback. Instead, enemies are briefly stunned so most battles consist of trying to position yourself relative to the spawning enemies in the way that maximizes damage while minimizing risk. You quickly learn that hitting enemies on the end of your swing can chain hits quicker and keep them at bay longer. It's obviously not super-deep, but it's a mechanic that kind of forces you to pay attention for every battle. Because of that, it didn't really get boring for me despite the game's grindy nature.

In fact, the sword mechanic might work too well. I haven't really had to use magic for any significant reason at any point. You unlock a series of offensive spells, but none of them seem better than your basic sword swing. You can't even use magic on bosses. I don't really mind that much (I do like the swordplay), but the magic system is undercooked, at least at this point in the game.

The game's got charm up the wazoo, though. The town areas eventually become populated with the beings you've been freeing through combat. It seems like much time and effort was put into making these characters somewhat interesting, which is nice. A side quest involving resolving a love story/ghost story seems all the more interesting to me for featuring chubby blue moles. Paying attention to what silly NPCs have to say leads to more treasure! Sometimes that treasure is a useless medical herb (you can't carry more than 1 at a time and I've only used one up to this point, and there are multiple points where you can get one for free at any time... Have I mentioned this game is pretty easy?), but sometimes it's something cool like a medallion that doubles your defense. Probably the best thing I can say about the game is that they really tried to use the writing to propel your motivation as a player, and I think they succeeded for the most part. The simple societies you build piece by piece feature an overarching theme of hope versus failure, of persistence even after death. The tree stumps have dreams about flying as birds. There's some poignant and/or funny stuff in there. It even features toilet humor that got me to LOL.

There's some great sprite work, too. I'm a personal fan of the forest animals. There's a nice looking cloud or water surface overlay on some scenes. The colors are great, with lots of vibrant hues and detailed surfaces. The music generally ranges from "good" to "very good", but I do admit I got annoyed by some of the guitar samples in the underwater bubble segment.

I'm definitely having fun with it so far.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
You will notice that a lot of the sound effects are identical in Actraiser, Actraiser 2 and Soul Blader/Soul Blazer (and possibly in other Quintet games). The 'ow' the character makes when getting hurt, the metallic sound of invulnerable enemies, etc... the score is not made by the same composer though.
I definitely picked up on the same damage grunt, but I can't believe I missed the metallic clang!

Ryanz

<Banned>
Okay just figured out you can hold L or R to hold out your sword and do rapid damage. This seems OP.

Szlia

Let me tell you what's OP: the double damage bracelet that melts bosses and that lame looking ring dropping magic. You can actually charge that magic and I have yet to find something that does not get one shot by it (providing it's not immune to magic).

That game is indeed not very hard and not super exciting, but it's difficult to drop because you always have a clearly identified short time goal. Let's just kill one more nest... let's just clean this screen, why not clean the next? Let's go on to the next statue... or maybe the next warp to the shrine... well that second warp is always near the boss so might as well kill the boss... let's check that next area... etc, etc. I played twice and cleared 5 areas!

• 1Like

Szlia

Deathtoll status: slain!

I did not time myself, but it took three sessions to beat the game so probably less than 10 hours. Things flowed pretty smoothly throughout. The only two hiccups were finding a key item in the castle area and gaining access to the lair of the final boss. For the first I assume there is a textual hint given by a character that is much too verbose for my patience and my poor japanese skills (I played on a SFC cartridge). I really wonder how I got the item back in the days (though it's possible to get it accidentally I guess). For the second (access to the lair of the final boss), it was just a matter of lack of patience (and memory/understanding), I started checking with some key characters and would have reached the right one eventually.

For shit and giggles I checked a FAQ for these optional emblems and I see why I did not find them all then nor did I find them all now! Luckily the reward for them is neat but not essential.

I recommend checking Soul Blazer - The Cutting Room Floor for some of the differences between the JP and US versions. Especially the water area boss and the ending screen! There is also a link that points to translation notes and it's interesting to see how many elements related to souls and reincarnation got altered in the US version and how hints became a little more vague.

About that ending screen, it's really reminds us how it is a bit of a shame that we never got a decent CD-Rom drive for the SFC/SNES with a good chunk of memory. When you see what the Turbo Duo / Super CD-RomRom managed to achieve with far weaker hardware, it seems we really missed a generation of awesome games. Bah.

PS: For those using ROMs it seems there are several versions of the game floating around with different english translations.

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
My friend @Mire used to own this game and beat it several times. I asked him today about the lettered emblems because I didn't want to later find myself in a position where it might be too late to get a specific one. He assured me that you can always backtrack to get the ones you haven't found.

I also suspected that the squirrel that follows you around in the forest town might be the key to finding one of these emblems, but Mire insisted he had no memory of that squirrel being important. I even caved and checked gamefaqs but found no reference to that particular squirrel. Is it possible this squirrel only exists to teach you the "NPC following you" mechanic that you later use to resolve the mole side quest?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Flavor.

I beat this in the 90s when I rented it from 1st Run Video for the weekend and decided sleep was for pussies.

Beat it again like a decade ago because hey emulation is awesome.

On the 4th chapter now, and will probably beat it again this weekend. It, and the Illusion of Gaia that borrows heavily from it (including one special boss!) are two of my favorite action "rpg" games from that era.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I played this for a couple hours tonight. First time playing it, no clue about it at all going in. I really enjoyed it, and I look forward to playing it.

The animations are really good, like how there is even a side step animation for when you strafe let or right. The world looks nice, and I like how big and colorful everything is.

I got to The first boss in the painting and promptly got killed.

• 1Like

Ryanz

<Banned>
Killed first boss. First few attempts I swiped at him like a newb with my sword and than promptly remembered holding L or R. Fight was swift after that.

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I played this for a couple hours tonight. First time playing it, no clue about it at all going in. I really enjoyed it, and I look forward to playing it.

The animations are really good, like how there is even a side step animation for when you strafe let or right. The world looks nice, and I like how big and colorful everything is.

I got to The first boss in the painting and promptly got killed.
Yeah, even as a teen I was impressed with the strafing animation. Nice attention to detail.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Just beat the second boss. Was a little more annoying than the first one. The movement seemed so random that even if you tried to skillfully kill it, you would also need a little bit of luck as well to defeat him. I just tried to position myself on one of the four corners of each statue to the best of my ability. Fucker liked to move around a lot. On to the mermaids.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Flavor.

I beat this in the 90s when I rented it from 1st Run Video for the weekend and decided sleep was for pussies.

Beat it again like a decade ago because hey emulation is awesome.

On the 4th chapter now, and will probably beat it again this weekend. It, and the Illusion of Gaia that borrows heavily from it (including one special boss!) are two of my favorite action "rpg" games from that era.

You should check out Terranigma. It was the final entry to the Quintet/Enix "Creation" trilogy (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma) and was widely considered to be the best game out of the 3.

It was never released in US, only Japan so very few people heard of it. But the ROM is freely available online with an English translation. It has the best gameplay out of the 3 (very Secret of Mana-ish) and keeps a really good storyline.

7 Reasons Terranigma is the Best SNES RPG Most Gamers Never Played

• 2Like

Ryanz

<Banned>
Beat the mermaid level. Boss was a pain in the ass. Had to swap between the Shield Bracelet and than the medical herb when I was close to dieing so I could gain full life again. Got the Power Bracelet now, time to smash.

*edit* Wow these snowballs in this next level are really fucking annoying.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You should check out Terranigma. It was the final entry to the Quintet/Enix "Creation" trilogy (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma) and was widely considered to be the best game out of the 3.

It was never released in US, only Japan so very few people heard of it. But the ROM is freely available online with an English translation. It has the best gameplay out of the 3 (very Secret of Mana-ish) and keeps a really good storyline.

7 Reasons Terranigma is the Best SNES RPG Most Gamers Never Played
Looks awesome, I'll add it to our vote next month

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
If you played Illusion of Gaia or remember parts of it, you'll see some similarities in Soul Blazer, since IoG is the 2nd of the trilogy and borrowed stuff from it.

Soul Blazer is definitely a good game though, and I remember Terranigma being good but I can't recall why. I think I played it while sick lol.