Retro Game of the Month November 2017: Soul Blazer (SNES)

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I played another couple of hours yesterday and learned that Soul Blazer is not the best game to play after having a few beers. At my best I've never been great at spacial awareness and being able to keep track of my location in an area. Post-booze, I was backtrackin' and loopin' like a madman. Must've wasted a bunch of time, but I still made good progress. I'm at the 2nd Town Model in Dr. Leo's house now. Still haven't died yet (although I was skirting death a few times).

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Beat it a few minutes ago again; just as good as I remember, and I didn't grind at the end at all because that super bracelet that you can get from where the Queen in the Castle was standing is OP as hell hah. Beating this reminds me of FF Mystic Quest, as at the time I remember it being such an epic game, now it's a few hours and done with little/no risk.

Still, good times. Might fire up Illusion of Gaia now and see if I remember how to play that one as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ryanz

<Banned>
Not sure what the hell happened but when I booted the game up today it didn't save any progress since the second zone. I had saved multiple times as I worked my way to the 4th zone. Not sure what happened, but I might be done at this point unfortunately.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Not sure what the hell happened but when I booted the game up today it didn't save any progress since the second zone. I had saved multiple times as I worked my way to the 4th zone. Not sure what happened, but I might be done at this point unfortunately.

If you're playing on emulator, recheck all save states - you could have accidentally switched to a different save state during the game and been saving to that one since second zone.

On ZSNES I think its the F3 key

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
If you're playing on emulator, recheck all save states - you could have accidentally switched to a different save state during the game and been saving to that one since second zone.

On ZSNES I think its the F3 key
lmao bro zsnes? Is this 1997? All the real autistes use higan. The most accurate emulator ever made.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Apparently I did when I was fiddling around swapping out my items mid boss 3 fight. So I have a save right at the end of zone 3. That's good enough I guess. I was still a ways into zone 4, but I'll suck it up and keep going.

• 1Solidarity

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I bought this a few years back on SNES since I missed it growing up. Never spent much time on it. I may just boot up the Retropie since it’s so much more convenient and knock this out over thanksgiving weekend.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks awesome, I'll add it to our vote next month

Yeah, I've played it a bit, but I seem to remember there being a weird bug that wouldn't let me progress. I'll give it another swing after I beat Illusion of Gaia

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I need to give Terranigma another shot too, would vote for it. I think I remember the first few hours being really boring with like 4 long generic towers?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm halfway through the forest stage. The four-directional movement is really starting to annoy me. I was hoping I'd get used to it, but I don't think I will.

I'm really enjoying the sense of humor that the game has, at least. It's kind of quirky and random. I loled when the mole jumped out and yelled Boo! In the forest town.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Mario Odyssey has been taking up my time - both good and bad on that front. Going to bootup the retropie and crank this one out for the rest of the week.

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Man that is some hardcore snes music when you get into the area walking on the pipes. Got the metal sword and backtracked to the first 3 worlds to kill the metal stuff.

• 1Like

Szlia

The music in Leo's lab feels like it just misses some lyrics to be some killer experimental hip-hop!

• 1Like

Ryanz

<Banned>
Just ran into this. Games literally unplayable.

20171114_052458.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ryanz

<Banned>
I'm on the final boss and he can fuck right off with those bullshit attacks. Talk about rage inducing. Need some sleep and will come back and finish the game, but I'm too pissed off and tired right now.

Szlia

I'm on the final boss and he can fuck right off with those bullshit attacks. Talk about rage inducing. Need some sleep and will come back and finish the game, but I'm too pissed off and tired right now.

I am sure that with a rested head you will understand better how the fight works and win with ease. It's really just about understanding what is going on and doing the right thing. When you do you hardly take any damage.