Retro Game of the Month November 2017: Soul Blazer (SNES)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
How much difference does your level make? Is it worth grinding out a few levels to increase my power if I find a spot with a lot of respawning mobs?

Szlia

You gain about 1 atk/def per level and some hp. But unless you skipped a lot of nests and/or did not went back to kill the nests of monsters you could not kill at first, no grinding is needed really.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I beat this earlier. It was much easier killing the final boss having been rested and not intoxicated.

All in all this was a fun little game. I didn't complete the side quest to collect all those runes so you can cast spells for free basically. I'm not sure why you would even want that. You essentially complete the game with just using your sword with your magic abilities only really being required in a few small situations where mobs are not reachable by sword.

The combat is simple. Your sword has only 2 attacks (3 if you count the final boss), swiping and holding your sword outright. Although the combat was very basic, it still held my interest for the entirety of the game. I really wish they had some more attack types though to spice things up a little bit. Maybe a charge up attack, or a ranged type attack when you're full HP ala Zelda. You also get a variety of magic abilities throughout the game, all of which are trumped by your sword so it was kind of pointless. Perhaps include puzzles that required using your magic spells to unlock certain areas or treasure to switch things up a bit.

You get a decent variety of armor, swords, and misc items throughout the game. One big pet peeve of mine is that when you upgrade to a new item, that your character on screen reflects that change. For this game you have one character model and even when you change between your 8-10 different swords and armors your character always looks the same. That was a shame, because some of the items had some pretty cool pixel art on the inventory screen. That being said, the different items have certain characteristics that despite not visually changing how your character looks, change their behavior to affect the game in certain ways which gives them a bit more of intrigue other than +better.

The different towns/areas were full of life, and had likable NPC's that inhabited the different areas. Each zone had its own visual distinction, running the gamut of different environments and not making every zone seem exactly like the last. You go from being in a forest, to underwater, to on a volcano, on an icey mountain, all the way to being inside another dimension. So it keeps the gaming experience interesting as you make your way through to the end.

I liked the game and had fun. There were even a lot of nice life lessons being taught as you played through. One which stuck out to me was to live a fulfilling life. There was a lot of thoughtful stuff like that sprinkled throughout the game. I even found it pretty endearing that anytime you saved the game it would encourage you to keep going, and when you died it would tell you to not try and rush and to keep on trying. Although kind of corny, I found it to be a pleasant little touch.

I look forward to next months retro game of the month (if Path of Exile hasn't completely consumed my soul). Great idea Tanoomba! ;)

TheEnd.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

McCheese

I beat this earlier. It was much easier killing the final boss having been rested and not intoxicated.

The combat is simple. Your sword has only 2 attacks (3 if you count the final boss), swiping and holding your sword outright. Although the combat was very basic, it still held my interest for the entirety of the game. I really wish they had some more attack types though to spice things up a little bit. Maybe a charge up attack, or a ranged type attack when you're full HP ala Zelda. You also get a variety of magic abilities throughout the game, all of which are trumped by your sword so it was kind of pointless. Perhaps include puzzles that required using your magic spells to unlock certain areas or treasure to switch things up a bit.

I agree about the combat. I think this is the biggest thing that keeps this "good" game from being a "great" game. While I wouldn't say combat is boring either, it certainly isn't exciting or requiring any skill. For 99% of the fights, you just find the best place to stand in relation to how the enemies are moving, and then spam your attack button until the nest is empty. Rinse, repeat.

Compare that to "great" games like A Link to the Past or Secret of Mana, where the action combat is much more skill based, requiring different attack types and lots of movement.

The different towns/areas were full of life, and had likable NPC's that inhabited the different areas. Each zone had its own visual distinction, running the gamut of different environments and not making every zone seem exactly like the last. You go from being in a forest, to underwater, to on a volcano, on an icey mountain, all the way to being inside another dimension. So it keeps the gaming experience interesting as you make your way through to the end.

This is my favorite thing about the game. I'm nearing the end of the water town, and the variety in towns, levels, and characters has been great. Even in the water area, the fact that you have a mix of the palace, the seabed, a few tropical islands, and a volcano keeps things fresh. It easily could have just been a typical, 100% underwater area that would have become boring quickly.

I commented before about how nice the animations are, and I noticed another little touch in the water area. Instead of having a generic "wading in water" animation when you walk through the water palace, the water actually gets pushed in the direction you walk. So if you walk up, the water is pushed upwards on the screen. If you walk left, it gets pushed left. It even animates if you strafe and walk backwards or sideways; the water gets pushed in the appropriate direction. I think that's such a nice little touch, because they easily could have just animated a simple wading animation around your character that was the same no matter how you moved.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

Can we do Illusions of Gia next? Isn't it SoulBlazer 2? I love Illusions of Gia.

or if we are taking suggesions, no idea... I am parachuting into this thread... Faxanadu

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

Illusion of Gaia is certainly similar to Soul Blazer. It had a fantastic setting and really nice visuals, but the gameplay was super bland.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah, i once forced myself to play Illusion of Gaia through to the end, despite getting bored with it several times prior. "bland" is definitely the right word for it. couldn't bring myself to get all of the hidden gems.

now that i think about it, my experience with that game might be why i've been putting off playing Soul Blazer. pretty sure i'll get around to it before next month tho.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Can we do Illusions of Gia next? Isn't it SoulBlazer 2? I love Illusions of Gia.

or if we are taking suggesions, no idea... I am parachuting into this thread... Faxanadu

I loved Faxanadu as a kid and tried to replay it. It has not aged well.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

I don't know why, but I loved the story of IoGia very much so - I never did grind all the red gem things, because you can skip the first one SO DAM EASY and then its done - you aint getting it ever. The gameplay was fun, its like any other sword top down type game- and I loved the mythology and settings - it did get a little eastern and xenu-ish with the religious tones but was enjoyable story in the characters, I felt it was a great coming of age story.

EAT THE DAMN PIG YO! harsh

Faxanadu imo has aged well for a NES game, but again- I love playing through Zelda 2 many times a year :-D lol - I should do Faxanadu but its not on my wiiu like zelda2

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I remember loving that game. Still have some songs stuck in my head.

Zelda II is the first game I ever finished. I was obsessed by that game. Learned to draw drawing the art of that game.

• 1Solidarity

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Ending was pretty nice. I would vote for illusion of gaia soon but maybe not next month. Gotta swap around genres to keep it fresh.

They really did well on the details. The icicles in the foreground in the ice cave, backgrounds changing as you climb the mountain, etc.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Compare that to "great" games like A Link to the Past or Secret of Mana, where the action combat is much more skill based, requiring different attack types and lots of movement.
I loved Secret of Mana, but the combat is pretty awful. The only "skill" is trying to time your strikes around enemy invincibility frames, but you'll still regularly miss with no indication why. There are several reasons why I'd consider SOM a better game overall, but give me Soul Blazer's combat any day.

• 1Salty

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>

We'll do another nomination/voting round during the last week of November. I'll probably restrict it to one nomination per person and cut off nominations at 10, though, so we don't have too big a list to choose from.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
They really did well on the details. The icicles in the foreground in the ice cave, backgrounds changing as you climb the mountain, etc.
The sunlight on the snowy mountains in the background of the mountain stage is gorgeous.

soulblazer_06.png

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Found this while looking for images:

tumblr_nl3xdrZBbZ1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

McCheese

I'm so bad at video games. I tried and failed to kill the ghost ship boss last night 7 times before I rage quit.

I'm not using save states, so each time I use up a medical herb I either have to go back to the palace, get a new one, and return to the ghost ship, or I have to reset the game, sit through the intro screen, and load my save with a medical herb.

• 1Worf

Siliconemelons

I'm so bad at video games. I tried and failed to kill the ghost ship boss last night 7 times before I rage quit.

I'm not using save states, so each time I use up a medical herb I either have to go back to the palace, get a new one, and return to the ghost ship, or I have to reset the game, sit through the intro screen, and load my save with a medical herb.

use save states... maybe not in a crazy way where you erase every mistake, but in a reasonable way... playing on the WiiU they have 1 save state and it takes a "long time" to use the UI for it - compared to f6 or whatever on emulators - so it stemms my use... I generally use save states to counteract WTFBBQ old games + me sucking and being old difficulty ;-)

McCheese

I'm playing on a retropie, so I could use save states super easily if I wanted. However, I really want to get as close to the old school feel as I can (and all the frustration that comes with it I guess), so no save states for me.

• 1Solidarity