Retro Gaming Thread

Szlia

Tried using my PS3 but [FFIX] looked like ass.

PS1 emulation on PS3 is craptacular. Using an actual PS1 or PS2 on a CRT is the way to go or using expensive RGB to HDMI devices made for video games such as a framemeister... I want to buy one but everytime I see the price I am like... well... I have a CRT after all and I am not a streamer....

Anyway, on the retro front I played The Little Mermaid on NES (emulator), just because I saw some speedrunning of it. VERY easy game of little interest really. Also played through the PS3 HD editions of Zone of the Enders 1 and 2. The first game is super repetitive, flows oddly and is super short (we are talking 5ish hours), the second game is a big improvement with impressive visuals, streamlined progression, more dynamic combats and a lot of variety. At some point it feels like each section has its own gameplay idea that is here to spice things up. Some are not so good (like navigating a mine field based on your co-pilot's commands - to the right, a little more to the right, ok go straight, stop! To the left....), but some are just awesome (like a battle that is suddenly of Dynasty Warriors proportion!). The game is also significantly longer (12ish hours) and significantly harder. In a kind of proto Dark Souls way, some boss fights are seemingly impossible before you get to understand their attacks and the tactic you need to employ to counter them and even when you do, patience and quality execution are paramount. Cool game even if it test your nerves at time.

Obviously both game suffer from narrations infected with kojima-itis, in that they are silly and barely intelligible, but heh. The cut scenes in the first game are also made in extremely dated CGI. The anime style of the 2nd game aged much better.

Siliconemelons

Yeah super dodge ball was like the only game I could beat when I was a little kid lol. I still love it, and playing it on the emulator was just as fun!

And ZOE deff 2 are awesome games- 2 especially - the anime is awesome, and the anime ova movie and series are actually good imo and I enjoy.

And 2 having Spike be the voice of your character helps... right? Or someone very similar lol

joz123

Potato del Grande
Can't wait for FF12 remaster on the 11th. I have it on PS2 but man do the games look like shit on HDTV's.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Having finished BotW, I've done an about face and left my WoW and D3 addictions slightly. Still being a filthy casual on my DK off and on, but not marathoning 5 characters.

So I've gone back to my 30 year backlog. I have owned Final Fantasy IX in disc form since maybe 2002. Never touched it. Tried using my PS3 but it looked like ass. So I've loaded the ISO on my Raspberry Pi. Plays well so far. Only about 6 hours in. Sometimes in intrigued. Sometimes the combat bores me. I have done 1, 4, 6, and 7. I think 9 may be my last FF game. I do want to give 6 a replay since I haven't touched it since the late 90's.

Up next is finishing up Arkham City and maybe doing that Wii Metroid Prime collection.

Final Fantasy 5 is worth a shot if you liked 4 and 6. weaker story but way better combat.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I remember 5 being hella long too. Gilgamesh was the best part of it.

• 1Solidarity

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've dumped 15 hours or so into ff5 a few times on GBA. Need to do it I guess. It'll be awhile. I'm on vacation so I've been playing Axiom Verge on Wii U in my non-beach time. Bring the Wii U with me was a stroke of genius.

As to AV, it's kinda retro right? I've learned my years of MMO's and plodding RPGs have weakened my platforming skill. And I forget to glitch random stuff then find out it's infinitely easier if you do. Still died a lot so far. Probably near the end at 85% explored.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
OK, so the NeoGaf shenanigans reminded me of one of the things I really liked about the forum (before I was banned) and I thought I would see if we could pull off something similar here.

The idea is to have an "NES Game of the Month" thread, where interested parties could decide on one specific game every month that everyone involved would play. We would post our impressions and experiences with regard to how well the game holds up, what its strengths and weaknesses are... Basically like a book club for NES games.

If you're interested in participating give this post a like. If I can get just 4 other people I'll make up the new thread and we can figure out all the details.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I just started replaying Final Fantasy 5 *shrugs*

But I've got the Gameboy Advance version so I'm not even talking SNES I guess.

• 1Like

Therage

Vyemm Raider
I'd be down for something like this. Always looking to play good old games.

• 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Everyone must be forced to play 7th Saga. We'll call it the SNES game of the year club to give everyone enough time to beat it.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think "retro game of the month" is probably better than just NES, but count me in. I'd stream my playthrough too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
OK, how about this:
@a_skeleton_00 @Vaultek @McCheese @yimmien pharmakos pharmakos T Therage OU Ariakas OU Ariakas Noodleface Noodleface

Everybody pick 2 SNES games you'd like to play. For the sake of simplicity, we need not concern ourselves with whether or not we own the game in some format or another (I don't own 7th Saga, for example, and doubt I'd be able to find a copy at a reasonable price, but wouldn't mind playing it if it was a popular choice).

We'll put everyone's choices into a poll, where we'll then vote for the three games that interest us the most. If everyone still votes for their 2 choices (which won't necessarily be the case), the third vote will hopefully shift preferences towards a smaller number of games. If one game gets more votes than the others, done! If not, we take the games tied for first and do a second vote for the one we prefer.

(I'm clearly just winging this, the system is subject to change as we figure things out.)

I'm a big fan of quirky platformers, so my first 2 choices are:
Dino City
Earthworm Jim

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
OK, how about this:
@a_skeleton_00 @Vaultek @McCheese @yimmien pharmakos pharmakos T Therage OU Ariakas OU Ariakas Noodleface Noodleface

Everybody pick 2 SNES games you'd like to play. For the sake of simplicity, we need not concern ourselves with whether or not we own the game in some format or another (I don't own 7th Saga, for example, and doubt I'd be able to find a copy at a reasonable price, but wouldn't mind playing it if it was a popular choice).

We'll put everyone's choices into a poll, where we'll then vote for the three games that interest us the most. If everyone still votes for their 2 choices (which won't necessarily be the case), the third vote will hopefully shift preferences towards a smaller number of games. If one game gets more votes than the others, done! If not, we take the games tied for first and do a second vote for the one we prefer.

(I'm clearly just winging this, the system is subject to change as we figure things out.)

I'm a big fan of quirky platformers, so my first 2 choices are:
Dino City
Earthworm Jim
I'd just emulate whatever I don't physically own

My choices:
Actraiser II
Zelda: LTTP (to see how well it holds up)

• 1Like

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Super Mario rpg (available on Wii game shop if emulator doesn't work)

Donkey Kong country

Would be my choices for snes.

• 1Like