Retro Gaming Thread

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
OK, how about this:
@a_skeleton_00 Vaultek Vaultek McCheese McCheese yimmien yimmien pharmakos pharmakos @Therage @OU Ariakas Noodleface Noodleface

Everybody pick 2 SNES games you'd like to play. For the sake of simplicity, we need not concern ourselves with whether or not we own the game in some format or another (I don't own 7th Saga, for example, and doubt I'd be able to find a copy at a reasonable price, but wouldn't mind playing it if it was a popular choice).

We'll put everyone's choices into a poll, where we'll then vote for the three games that interest us the most. If everyone still votes for their 2 choices (which won't necessarily be the case), the third vote will hopefully shift preferences towards a smaller number of games. If one game gets more votes than the others, done! If not, we take the games tied for first and do a second vote for the one we prefer.

(I'm clearly just winging this, the system is subject to change as we figure things out.)

I'm a big fan of quirky platformers, so my first 2 choices are:
Dino City
Earthworm Jim

My votes:

Blackthorne
Wild Guns

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I want to go with some that people maybe have not played before. These two are really underrated imo.

Soul Blazer - top down ARPG from Enix, precursor to Illusion of Gaia.
Demon's Crest - side scroller/rpg hybrid

• 1Solidarity

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Super Adventure Island 2
Soul Blazer - absolute gem of a game

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
probably only can do it if everyone is okay with playing emulators, but Seiken Densetsu 3 is great
Yoshi's Island

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
probably only can do it if everyone is okay with playing emulators, but Seiken Densetsu 3 is great
Yoshi's Island
I actually own the SFC Seiken Densetsu 3 cart, but it's too text-heavy and kanji-reliant for me to figure out what to do. I haven't tried the fan translation yet.

Szlia

Brag time: out of the 22 games mentioned yet, I own 18 and beat 14!

That being said, I'll take part if the game picked is not garbage tier like Donkey Kong Country (I thought it was crap then and still thought it was crap when I tried it again recently).

Last edited:

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Brag time: out of the 22 games mentioned yet, I own 18 and beat 14!

That being said, I'll take part if the game picked is not garbage tier like Donkey Kong Country (I thought it was crap then and still thought it was crap when I tried it again recently).
It's only crap compared to every DKC game that followed it, and that's only because those are all exceptional.

Szlia

Long story short, I was rummaging through my box of NES games looking for Tetris (don't ask...) and realized, much to my surprise, that I own Castlevania III. 'Cool!', I thought, 'Let's try that!' I am not sure just yet if it was a great idea or a terrible mistake.

As a very late NES game Castlevania III is pretty crazy looking with some surprisingly big non tile based backgrounds, some strange effects and some ambitious technical challenges (like proto Mode 7 rotating sprites). The structure of the game is also very neat. There are several branching points on the way to Dracula's castle, so it feels a bit like a world to explore, an exploration that is rewarded by new characters that can join you and your journey. It's then possible to switch at any time between the good old Belmond and your travel companion, each of them having a specific set of moves / powers / weapons. Alucard can turn into a bat, Grant can climb walls, etc...

Pretty cool... but let me tell you about something that is the opposite of cool: Castlevania III's level design! It feels like this game is the forefather of Super Mario Maker troll levels. I swear the platform structure and enemy placement is carefully designed to get you knocked back into bottomless pits at every turn. It is all kind of crazy. We are talking stuff like having the check point before a boss be next to a pit in a screen with two jerk birds. I am pretty sure you need to be a zen master to not almost instantly die a second time after dying to the boss and possibly even a third time for a glorious game over that forces you to restart the whole stage (and compels you to curse at the top of your lungs). Luckily there are infinite continues and the game uses a password system just like Castlevania IV, but.... wtf guys!??!!?

• 1Like

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I love late-generation games for consoles which are about to be scrapped. It is pretty nutty what they did with the NES/SNES/Genesis hardware towards the end of their lifespans.

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Long story short, I was rummaging through my box of NES games looking for Tetris (don't ask...) and realized, much to my surprise, that I own Castlevania III. 'Cool!', I thought, 'Let's try that!' I am not sure just yet if it was a great idea or a terrible mistake.

As a very late NES game Castlevania III is pretty crazy looking with some surprisingly big non tile based backgrounds, some strange effects and some ambitious technical challenges (like proto Mode 7 rotating sprites). The structure of the game is also very neat. There are several branching points on the way to Dracula's castle, so it feels a bit like a world to explore, an exploration that is rewarded by new characters that can join you and your journey. It's then possible to switch at any time between the good old Belmond and your travel companion, each of them having a specific set of moves / powers / weapons. Alucard can turn into a bat, Grant can climb walls, etc...

Pretty cool... but let me tell you about something that is the opposite of cool: Castlevania III's level design! It feels like this game is the forefather of Super Mario Maker troll levels. I swear the platform structure and enemy placement is carefully designed to get you knocked back into bottomless pits at every turn. It is all kind of crazy. We are talking stuff like having the check point before a boss be next to a pit in a screen with two jerk birds. I am pretty sure you need to be a zen master to not almost instantly die a second time after dying to the boss and possibly even a third time for a glorious game over that forces you to restart the whole stage (and compels you to curse at the top of your lungs). Luckily there are infinite continues and the game uses a password system just like Castlevania IV, but.... wtf guys!??!!?
I usually play until that part where you have to scale a wall being assembled by falling blocks. That part's bullshit.

Szlia

I usually play until that part where you have to scale a wall being assembled by falling blocks. That part's bullshit.
Once you get the pattern of the falling blocks, it's not hard but that's so long and boring...The only up side is that it's not an autoscroller so you can turn into a bat with Alucard and get out of there earlier (or almost skip the whole thing if you have enough hearts).

Anyway I managed to finish the game today. The cherry on top of the asshole design in this game: when you die at Dracula you get sent back to a checkpoint that is in the middle of the final level. There is some wall meat at the checkpoint, but none that I could find after that, so you usually enter the three phases final fight with like 60% to 80% hp...

With that done (though I might try to check some of the other paths), I started to play Faxanadu. Oh boy. The design in this game did not age well. I stopped for the day in a place where, after opening a door with a key you get from a NPC in a dungeon, you get jumped by a mini-boss. You fight it with magic, using UP + B, but UP is also used to go through doors, so it's very easy to get knocked back toward the door and accidentally exit the room. That would be annoying in itself, but it's even worse: the key is consumed upon entering the door the first time so you cannot reopen it without going all the way back to the NPC in the dungeon to get a new key or by hitting the reset button and enter a password for a 2 min roll back...

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Once you get the pattern of the falling blocks, it's not hard but that's so long and boring...The only up side is that it's not an autoscroller so you can turn into a bat with Alucard and get out of there earlier (or almost skip the whole thing if you have enough hearts).

Anyway I managed to finish the game today. The cherry on top of the asshole design in this game: when you die at Dracula you get sent back to a checkpoint that is in the middle of the final level. There is some wall meat at the checkpoint, but none that I could find after that, so you usually enter the three phases final fight with like 60% to 80% hp...

With that done (though I might try to check some of the other paths), I started to play Faxanadu. Oh boy. The design in this game did not age well. I stopped for the day in a place where, after opening a door with a key you get from a NPC in a dungeon, you get jumped by a mini-boss. You fight it with magic, using UP + B, but UP is also used to go through doors, so it's very easy to get knocked back toward the door and accidentally exit the room. That would be annoying in itself, but it's even worse: the key is consumed upon entering the door the first time so you cannot reopen it without going all the way back to the NPC in the dungeon to get a new key or by hitting the reset button and enter a password for a 2 min roll back...
Yeah, Faxanadu has a lot of flaws that make it difficult to play today. If I were to go back to it now I would definitely use a guide, I have nowhere near the patience it would require to figure out how to get through that game blind.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
just beat Exdeath on my replay of Final Fantasy V Advance. i super sperged the game this time and pretty early in the game did enough grinding to get just about every relevant job to master. been taking the time to get most of good rare steals too. next time i play through it (which i'm sure i will, it is by far my favorite Final Fantasy now) i am going to do some sort of straight job class challenge to make the game harder. face rolling everything up til the end was nice this time around, taking everything i learned from the first time and min/maxing the hell out of everything, but more of a challenge would be great.

still gotta do all the bonus content that was added for GBA. my first time through i didn't make it through all the bonus content... but i wasn't very prepared for the two super bosses that got added, and fizzled out when i realized the amount of grinding i still had to do. front loaded all my grinding this time, tho!

my first time around, i finished the Exdeath fight at the end of the main portion with everyone still alive. turns out, the ending changes if anyone is dead. i only saw what happens with a dead Lenna at the end, but there are unique endings for every possible combination of alive/dead. same general motif, but great attention to detail to do something like that. the game came out in 1992, i think its one of the earliest examples of multiple endings?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
just beat Exdeath on my replay of Final Fantasy V Advance. i super sperged the game this time and pretty early in the game did enough grinding to get just about every relevant job to master. been taking the time to get most of good rare steals too. next time i play through it (which i'm sure i will, it is by far my favorite Final Fantasy now) i am going to do some sort of straight job class challenge to make the game harder. face rolling everything up til the end was nice this time around, taking everything i learned from the first time and min/maxing the hell out of everything, but more of a challenge would be great.

still gotta do all the bonus content that was added for GBA. my first time through i didn't make it through all the bonus content... but i wasn't very prepared for the two super bosses that got added, and fizzled out when i realized the amount of grinding i still had to do. front loaded all my grinding this time, tho!

my first time around, i finished the Exdeath fight at the end of the main portion with everyone still alive. turns out, the ending changes if anyone is dead. i only saw what happens with a dead Lenna at the end, but there are unique endings for every possible combination of alive/dead. same general motif, but great attention to detail to do something like that. the game came out in 1992, i think its one of the earliest examples of multiple endings?

You should definitely check out the Four job fiesta next year. There are also some randomizers that serve the same function.

My Fiesta Page

• 1Like