Retro Gaming Thread

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Have you ever played the Flintstones game? The first (I think) one with the basketball. That was a pretty damn fun game along the same lines of many of these. I definitely remember that Bugs Bunny game. Rented that more than a couple times as a kid. Really enjoyed that one. Little Nemo and Rescue Rangers were a big part of my NES childhood. Many fond memories. :)

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Have you ever played the Flintstones game? The first (I think) one with the basketball. That was a pretty damn fun game along the same lines of many of these. I definitely remember that Bugs Bunny game. Rented that more than a couple times as a kid. Really enjoyed that one. Little Nemo and Rescue Rangers were a big part of my NES childhood. Many fond memories. :)
Yes, I have. I remember playing that at my cousin's house in my early teens. I remembered quite enjoying it, so I went back to play it again to see how it held up.

Maybe it's because it's Friday night and I'm enjoying some beer, but that was tough!

Unlike most of the other games I've been playing, this one is not one of the more polished NES titles. The graphics are a bit rough around the edges, with odd palette choices (lots of instances with Fred's black hair over a black background, for example) and a very simplistic art style. Some of the music is just awful, with the ice level and castle level in particular suffering from extremely repetitive, extremely grating tracks. The Japanesque level had a much more pleasant theme that didn't loop as quickly, making me wonder if they were rushed or just lazy with some other tracks. The last level features a pretty good rendition of the Jetson's theme (spoiler alert) along with a lengthy and awesome intro.

Which is most of what this game is. Some spots of greatness mixed with some really nasty shit. Now, to the game's credit, it wasn't until I reached the last boss that I even realized I could summon Gazoo to grant me powers (I had been super-confused by some terrain layouts that included unreachable platforms or unmakeable jumps). Knowing that earlier would have made some parts MUCH easier, such as the battle against the vampire where he starts in a position that is virtually unreachable by regular means. After trying (and failing) many times to beat him using skill and reflexes, I gave up and stockpiled on exploding dinosaur eggs (by grinding the giant Frankenstein's Monster), making him a cakewalk. It was frustrating as shit, but it also felt good to finally overcome.

I also liked the climb mechanic. The section where you have to climb up ledges faster than the lava rising under you (in the already annoying castle level) absolutely forces you to have gotten used to how it works and understanding both how to minimize climb time by jumping from directly under a ledge and how to jump onto a ledge instead of grabbing onto it by taking a running jump. It gets brutal, man.

The basketball levels are actually pretty fun, too. I like the overworld map, with you getting more and more of the Flintstones gang following you. The sprites, although a little rough, do actually look like characters out of the Flintstones universe. I love that you get infinite continues. I HATE that you lose part of your life bar and strength bar every time you die.

Thanks for the suggestion, Woefully. I enjoyed that, even though I cursed loudly a few times.

55536-Flintstones,_The_-_The_Rescue_of_Dino_&_Hoppy_(USA)-3.jpg

55536-Flintstones,_The_-_The_Rescue_of_Dino_&_Hoppy_(USA)-1.jpg

55536-Flintstones,_The_-_The_Rescue_of_Dino_&_Hoppy_(USA)-5.jpg

flintstonesRescueScreen.jpg

Also, this end scene was really fucking weird:
the-worst-nes-endings-and-why-we-deserved-better-20090813014454096.gif

Last edited:
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I caught your stream for a little bit earlier. I definitely remember it being a challenging game but man it's just a FUN game to play.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
BBBB and Cool Spot. Nice thread!

Here's my contribution.. anyone ever play this?

220px-Desert_Commander.jpg
I must admit I've never played this one. I even checked my collection to see if it had been hiding there but it wasn't. It is from Kemco Seika, though, who brought us Shadowgate, Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle, and Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular!, so I give it the benefit of the doubt. What type of game is it?

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
My brother and I were never able to complete that game but goddamn we put sooooo many hours into it.

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I remember liking Clash at Demonhead a lot and spending much time playing it in my youth, even though I've never beaten it. I put a couple of hours into it today for old time's sake.

This game's got charm in spades. Every speaking character has his own portrait for the cut scenes, often with multiple expressions. The character and enemy sprites range from cute and generic to oddly bizarre. The story is legitimately interesting, with a standard video game setup of "collect seven medallions from seven governors" that quickly subverts itself and plays with your expectations. There is very little I appreciate more than game developers taking advantage of the unlimited potential of telling a story through gameplay.

...It's still pretty confusing, though, and you're pretty much forced to take notes if you want to be able to make progress. And the music gets repetitive, although I tend to enjoy the tracks so I don't mind too much. The Flintstone's castle theme was much, much worse than any track here. Anyway, it's a really unique and enjoyable game. It's ambitious and accomplishes much of what it sets out to do. It's that wonderful kind of quirky you stumble upon once in a while with these old games (Monster Party being another example).

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
I must admit I've never played this one. I even checked my collection to see if it had been hiding there but it wasn't. It is from Kemco Seika, though, who brought us Shadowgate, Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle, and Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular!, so I give it the benefit of the doubt. What type of game is it?

It's a turn-based combat strategy game... basically a combination of Risk, Stratego and Battleship, all set in a beautiful 8-bit Saharan wonderland!

It's been ages since I played it, but it was always one of my favorite games to rent as a kid.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I do have a Twisted Metal 2 / Twisted Metal: Black hankering

Mr Grimm? Spectre? Probs Mr Grimm. Naw, gotta go Thumper.

Still remember my one buddy saying all the light armor cars were worthless till he learned up on fast cars just turbo'ing away till they had full specials and wombo'd someone in a freeze (you could bubble the freeze and counter wombo heh heh heh).

TW2 had the thing where anyone could minion special, then you'd Thumper special them and it was gg. Mr Slam was fucking epic too. I saw the new one they came out with but it felt like this total departure from the whole varied characters with their entirely own feel thing that I liked in the previous games. I'm not real interested in general reviews on that game though, only feels from true Twisted Metal heads. Kind of regret not getting that one but I also don't want a "next gen" console.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Twisted Metal: Black was the tits. The creepy and disturbing atmosphere that permeated the game was very well done, with great use of "Paint it Black" as a licensed track.

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I really enjoyed Twisted Metal 2. Because it used the hardware it was on so well. Throwing out the freeze code then missle spamming with ...spectre? the sports car. That was super fun.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Played some Axelay tonight.

A very underwhelming performance from me, to be fair, but I did have fun. It's just a gorgeous game throughout. The second level with the city in the background is still stunning. The fourth level in the half-submerged cave is even better, with one of the most hauntingly beautiful tracks I've ever heard come from a SNES. On the other hand, Konami's eyes were bigger than their stomachs when they forced the SNES to a flickery crawl during the Lava Man boss. Sill worth it IMO.

Although I played pretty terribly and used up all my continues, the game did end with a really nice "last life, no continues left" climax that gave me a bit of a rush. Skip to about an hour in for the second-last form of the last boss.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

spot_g10-axelay.gif

nVYPef9.gif

giphy.gif

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I just built a RetroPie and I'm currently going through Metroid Fusion. What are some other good Metroidvania games on the retro consoles?

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
So I just built a RetroPie and I'm currently going through Metroid Fusion. What are some other good Metroidvania games on the retro consoles?
- Demon's Crest (SNES)
- Super Adventure Island 2 (SNES)
- Faxanadu (NES)
- The Goonies 2 (NES)
- Rygar (NES)
- Blaster Master (NES)
- Gargoyle's Quest (GameBoy)
- Gargoyle's Quest 2 (NES)
- Wario Land 3 (Gameboy Color)
- Shantae (GameBoy Color)
- Clash at Demonhead (NES)

Those are some personal favorites, but there's lots more here.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Played some Axelay tonight.

A very underwhelming performance from me, to be fair, but I did have fun. It's just a gorgeous game throughout. The second level with the city in the background is still stunning. The fourth level in the half-submerged cave is even better, with one of the most hauntingly beautiful tracks I've ever heard come from a SNES. On the other hand, Konami's eyes were bigger than their stomachs when they forced the SNES to a flickery crawl during the Lava Man boss. Sill worth it IMO.

Although I played pretty terribly and used up all my continues, the game did end with a really nice "last life, no continues left" climax that gave me a bit of a rush. Skip to about an hour in for the second-last form of the last boss.
[/spoiler]

Really good game. My brother and I used to rent every scrolling shooter we found, but this one was missed until a friend traded F1 RoC for it.

Speaking of retro racing games:

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Act Raiser's platform style levels were real epic if you "have the right stuff" for it

Joe and Mac caveman game was fun too

I wish the Sega CD Eternal Champions was on Xbox live. That and I think Weaponlord (it is said this game inspired the parry system in Soul Caliber and games going forward) on SNES are my favorite cult hit fighters. Weaponlord, even fighting the AI was apparently not for casuals. Eternal Champs took stage fatalities (a lost art) to a whole new level.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
So a few days back I decided to play Demon's Crest, a great SNES gem that for whatever reason went under the radar for a lot of people.

It was a good game but a lot of people beat it way too quick and returned it just as fast to get their money back.

You have to find more items and bosses. One of the zones if I remember was damn hard to notice, and there might've been some alternate paths in the zones themselves. Regardless, you acquire more items and it changes the Phalanx fight, and the game doesn't end after him (he's not the real final boss). You gain an ultra form that gives you all the abilities in one, and you can fight a super boss.

• 1Like