Retro Gaming Thread

Rude

Potato del Grande
Really good game. My brother and I used to rent every scrolling shooter we found, but this one was missed until a friend traded F1 RoC for it.

Speaking of retro racing games:

I could never find a working rom for Top Gear 3000

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Played some Axelay tonight.

A very underwhelming performance from me, to be fair, but I did have fun. It's just a gorgeous game throughout. The second level with the city in the background is still stunning. The fourth level in the half-submerged cave is even better, with one of the most hauntingly beautiful tracks I've ever heard come from a SNES. On the other hand, Konami's eyes were bigger than their stomachs when they forced the SNES to a flickery crawl during the Lava Man boss. Sill worth it IMO.

Although I played pretty terribly and used up all my continues, the game did end with a really nice "last life, no continues left" climax that gave me a bit of a rush. Skip to about an hour in for the second-last form of the last boss.

I love shooters, and Axelay was always a fun one. UN Squadron, Super EDF, Super R-Type, etc.

But the best one? R-Type III: The Third Lightning. Awesome action, amazing rock soundtrack.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Played some Axelay tonight.

A very underwhelming performance from me, to be fair, but I did have fun. It's just a gorgeous game throughout. The second level with the city in the background is still stunning. The fourth level in the half-submerged cave is even better, with one of the most hauntingly beautiful tracks I've ever heard come from a SNES. On the other hand, Konami's eyes were bigger than their stomachs when they forced the SNES to a flickery crawl during the Lava Man boss. Sill worth it IMO.

Although I played pretty terribly and used up all my continues, the game did end with a really nice "last life, no continues left" climax that gave me a bit of a rush. Skip to about an hour in for the second-last form of the last boss.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

spot_g10-axelay.gif

nVYPef9.gif

giphy.gif
One of my favorite shooters of all time.

• 1Like

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
I love shooters, and Axelay was always a fun one. UN Squadron, Super EDF, Super R-Type, etc.

But the best one? R-Type III: The Third Lightning. Awesome action, amazing rock soundtrack.

My favs in the series were R-Type Delta and R-Type Final. Great soundtracks in those too. I never played R-Type 3 but you just inspired me. Looks great. Gonna give a run.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Let's not forget the great Gradius 5 by Treasure. Love this one.

• 1Like

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Might as well add these ones too. Love the music in Delta and Final.

• 2Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I've been into SNES a lot lately. The wife and I have been playing a lot of Tetris Attacks and Rock and Roll Racing while I've been piddling with Super Castlevania, Ff3(6), and Zelda.

I want to build a retropie I think. Can these do 2 players or is it one player only? Fuck carts being so goddamn expensive.

I have also considered just building a dirt cheap desktop and putting in an S video capable card that I can hook up to my CRT that I got specifically for retro stuff.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I unlocked an old Nintendo Wii (super easy to do, just need an SD card) and loaded it with emulators/Roms, now I do all my retro gaming on there.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I did that with an Xbox at one point but so help you God if you jostled it, it would shut off. Don't exactly remember the chip/folded piece of paper holding it in scheme that made it work.

I'm plenty happy with SuperReto16 on Android tho (renamed from Super GSnes or something). Looking for a good compatible SNES to Android controller though. Its just my last priority on earth but maybe I should get around to it. Most games are fine but fighting games not so much.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm looking for that "friends around a TV" experience. We did a ton of Mario Kart Double Dash last weekend with some friends. Reminded me how much I missed that.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Gotta admit the oldies do look good on a big screen. One of the arcades by me had some like 50 inch screen before there were ever really 50 inch screens and they'd cycle the hottest new game onto it. The Primal Rage display looked real nice on it with the big put put castle and fountains in the back drop. Probably what I will see when I walk through them pearly gates.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I did that with an Xbox at one point but so help you God if you jostled it, it would shut off. Don't exactly remember the chip/folded piece of paper holding it in scheme that made it work.

I'm plenty happy with SuperReto16 on Android tho (renamed from Super GSnes or something). Looking for a good compatible SNES to Android controller though. Its just my last priority on earth but maybe I should get around to it. Most games are fine but fighting games not so much.
I've been using the 8bitdo Gamepad, which is virtually identical to a SNES pad but is Android and Bluetooth compatible (although I've only ever used it connected to my PC via USB). I found mine at EB Games, although I don't think I've seen any there for a while.

snes30-1.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Says it can work for 2 players on the page. Now I'm real interested.

• 1Like

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
I've been using the 8bitdo Gamepad, which is virtually identical to a SNES pad but is Android and Bluetooth compatible (although I've only ever used it connected to my PC via USB). I found mine at EB Games, although I don't think I've seen any there for a while.

snes30-1.jpg
Saw some of these at EB Games just last week. They are super expensive. Was like 50$. Ridiculous!

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Saw some of these at EB Games just last week. They are super expensive. Was like 50$. Ridiculous!
If I want an authentic retro experience on PC, it's the best way to go!

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like