Revival - Lovecraftian Horror Roleplaying Sandbox MMORPG

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I get your points. I don't necessarily disagree either. I know someone who is prepared to drop thousands for one of the Mansions that is due to be released soon. It's like Shroud of the Avatar in that respect, without the nostalgia driving the willingness to spend incredible amounts of cash. You are definitely correct that people will spend a ton of money in this game. I'm just not so sure it's necessarily a bad thing. Boats are a good example. Like you I think they will be pretty pricey. But I know that someone in the guild I plan to run with will buy one, so I don't care. Worse case scenario you buy passage on someone's boat. Kinda cool I think.

I guess my point is, we don't have enough concrete information to make a judgement either way on whether or not real world money is going to negatively affect Revival. If the game is PvP territory centric, then obviously the guilds with the largest whales will have a huge advantage due to resources they have bought (boats for trading, farms, personal crafting stations in homes, etc). If the game is more 'contend with The Old Gods' PvE driven, maybe not so much. Remains to be seen. I suspect the "Have's" versus "Have nots" will be a big factor as well. If you are strutting around being a dick with your cash shop opulence, that's painting a huge target on your back. From what I've read, if 200 players decide to burn your $3k Mansion to the ground, it's doable. And no you won't lose the real estate, but supposedly the cost to rebuild will be considerable. And if you can't pay real world money to do so, that's significant.

The game is really a bunch of ideas more than anything right now. The themes and design that have been talked about are so compelling I kind of just want to see it in action. Whales or not.
All of that sounds really gay. if you're going to spend thousands of dollars to play a game, why not just hire a bunch of Mexicans to play the game for you? Then you don't have to do anything at all except connect your bank account number to the company.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
That 200 player group better need a fuck of a lot more than that to destroy a castle worth $3000. Fuck man, there would just be roving groups of destruction trolls wrecking shit for lulz if that were the case.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's dead though.
Nah, spend some time in the Founder's channel... it's just dead with Illfonic (and maybe not even that.)

Edit: Full disclaimer: It certainly could be dead! But they aren't stopping
smile.png

Maric

N00b
Really a sad day for the genre. We needed a game like this. Hope somehow some way this game gets made.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shocked. Completely shocked.

Also lulz at Lethality blowing up all over the comments on the massivelyop linked post as well.

There wasn't a game yet, just a lot of ideas and some assets. Even Copernicus was further along than that.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm sure to many of the posters here selling digital housing/land/items for money before a game even exists sends off warning bells. I suspect there will be discussion if and when there is an actual game to discuss.

Wow, I just had a look. They are selling some houses for $400. I hope a bunch of nerds don't get fleeced on this one.
Yep.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
No, you heard Lethality. It's totally alive and not a lifeless husk soon to vanish into the ether when housing money fails to pay next month's internet bill.
It's in the exact state it's been in for 10 years; the lead developers are working on it with varying amounts of production support. The current support Illfonic was giving them has been cut off, as Illfonic needs to keep afloat.

Simple as that. It's definitely not dead.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's in the exact state it's been in for 10 years; the lead developers are working on it with varying amounts of production support. The current support Illfonic was giving them has been cut off, as Illfonic needs to keep afloat.

Simple as that. It's definitely not dead.
You still believe that Christ is coming back too, don't you?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just going to toss this out there, but if their innovative design decisions and encompassing story aspects aren't enough for a company I haven't heard two shits about to keep afloat, how are they planning to move forward besides as a hobby? And a hobby that has literally cost people hundreds of dollars with 0 to show for it (the decision to purchase land within a game isn't dependent upon the land. It's dependent upon the game. There is no game, so the virtual land that has been purchased currently means nothing. Pretty sure more than a handful of the people who spent money on this "game" are a bit upset in that their purchased assets don't actually have a game attached, as was probably implied in their purchase receipt.)

I'm sure there's a spin for this, but I can't see it being positive.