Revolution

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Man, this show certainly has its moments but at least it finally got to the plot point that had been bugging the shit out of me. I was wondering how Rachel and the old band could go with the, "we must stop Monroe for all of the terrible things he's done!" with a straight face knowing the whole time that they caused the blackout. Somehow I thought the collapse of human civilization and a return to a technological dark age was a little worse than being a tyrant to establish order in the chaos.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm 2 Episodes from being caught up, I also missed one of the carry over episodes from the break (Where the kid dies)--so, I'm missing pieces, but this is for the people that were following and stopped at the break because the show was awful.

Firstly, the show has gotten better. It's still not a "good" show, but it's gone from comically bad to mediocre. The writing can still be obtuse at times, but the plots, pacing and explanations have been pretty refreshing. The characters are far, far less one dimensional and cliche--though they are still pretty shallow. It's just a lot "less" shallow than before--This is partially because the writing is better and because the actors are doing slightly better with their parts. It's also because the shows focus is far less on Dany and more on Miles, The mother, hot Hispanic lady and Gus Fring. The acting is still very, very bad compared to shows like GoT, but its better than most network TV, so take that as you will.

Now for the electricity.

The electricity went out, as posted in this thread, because they made first generation nano-bots. Tiny virus sized machines that can take simple commands. From what I can tell, these were NOT originally planned to stop the electricity, rather they were just machines meant to reproduce and accept simple orders--the intention was to have them form electrical grids without wiring. They can be controlled in a robust manner as long as they have a central computer and broadcasting equipment controlling them (It also seems like they can communicate back to this central computer). So they can always deliver and conduct the precise amount of power needed to X or Y equipment--so essentially wireless, cheap, universally deliverable electricity for all (With a super AI computer controlling it). This amount of control ALSO allowed the bots to do be controlled for other tasks, like healing, vaporizing people and also shutting down things like electrical flow.

What seems to have happened is the DARPA guy in charge of this funding built a huge tower and took control of the nanites. His command was to simply absorb and block electrical signals. They do not explain why this doesn't affect the human body. Guessing they are going to "hand wave" and say the tower can send out signals that differentiate between electrical signals produced by living tissue and inorganic matter. Which given it's been established that the computer controllers of the nanites can have them do very complex tasks like bone surgery or tumor removal, this is not out of the established realm of the show.

It's revealed that all this advanced nanite control is based off of Google-guys programing (He didn't know about it, supposedly he developed super-magic algorithms and these guys stole it to control their nanites.). With a central computer and programming these swarms of trillions of nanites can be used to do just about anything. She even called a book with code on how to control the nanites to do certain functions like a "spell book". So pretty much it's like the nanites have made our world into a giant video game, and anyone who can program a complex enough code to control billions of them with super-advanced magic algorithms can do just aboutanything.

This also explains why things work without shorting out when the lockets are around. This isn't said yet directly, but I'm inferring that the lockets aren't just a switch that shut the nanites off. Rather, much like the "control" computers which healed Dany's brother, they are little control systems which direct the nanites to power machines around them--the reason why the machines don't short is because it seems that the nanites can relay information back to the control system in order to be directed (This is the only way I could explain how the healing ect worked--the nanties are in constant communication with their control center.)...So the locket isn't shutting the nanites "off" at all, rather it's changing their programming so they are using the tiny amounts of stored power to give the equipment around them enough juice to turn on without being fried. (Which was their original intent, to be able to deliver electricity through the air and universally to all machines.)

I guess further hand waving will allow things that run off fuel to work with this, too? Maybe the nanites just push helicopter blades around and shit, I don't know. Anyway, still plenty of plot holes, but I was pleasantly surprised at them making a "tolerable" explanation--even if it is well within the "magic" territory still. At least if you can believe we had computer's advanced enough to control trillions of individual units in perfect harmony, that only occupy the size of a thumb, and a super advanced AI to direct it all, it's not out of the realm of possibility. So they've moved from "magic" to "Science Magic". Or just very very loose Sci Fi.

Anyway, TLDR. Show has gone from laughable horrible, to "mediocre" (It really has improved MASSIVELY)--which given how little Sci-Fi is on, makes it watchable for me. It would be better if they stopped doing bullshit like one guy taking down twenty but then when two "boss" characters meet neither of them can hit ect. But meh, at least it's not laughable now (Well not ALL the time, it has it's moments).

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you are saying the show has improved a lot and looks to finally be going the direction everyone had hoped it would.

This of course means it will be cancelled now....

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the last two episodes were pretty good. id say for broadcast TV its probably the best sci fi TV show since i cant remember. though they still do throw in the same old cliches lazy writers like to pull. ya know like the captured female being told to put on a pretty dress. they already did that a month or 2 ago on The Following, they did that years ago on Lost and they did that in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Lithose, you have put more thought into how it works than anyone actually associated with the show. Little bit of a spoiler, but you'll find out for sure in an episode or 2 that engines still need gas to run even with the lockets. That was very disappointing to me. Don't forget the first locket we saw came on and cranked up a generator automatically and turned on a light that was hundreds of feet up. If they're going to make this work, they're going to have to explain all of this as well as lightning and where all the fuel, lubricants and spare parts are coming from. i don't see any way jet fuel would be good 15 years later.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Judging by the previews, after next week we won't have to worry about the effects of the power being off.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Watched the latest episode and thought it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the "Power all of the sudden comes back on, what happens" plot.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if they could make little power lockets and use them without trouble, then this one in a billion chance of setting the world on fire line is moot.

TheOkapi

Molten Core Raider
if they could make little power lockets and use them without trouble, then this one in a billion chance of setting the world on fire line is moot.
I dunno, it could be something like, there are a bunch of nukes in launch-countdown, and they might fire if the power comes back.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Im going to hope that nuke control systems arent coded to fire on an unexpected reboot.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I have a feeling what they are talking about is that something could malfunction with those nanite things. I think that's why they were showing all those electrical storms.

Ganthorn

N00b
The feeling I got was they meant that if they turned it all back on at once the bazillions of nanites that are obviously EVERYWHERE going off at once could cause trouble.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The feeling I got was they meant that if they turned it all back on at once the bazillions of nanites that are obviously EVERYWHERE going off at once could cause trouble.
Agreed.

You people need to stop trying to use logic and science to make sense of tv show storylines. Wtf is wrong with you people.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Was that starbuck?

Interesting ending though the gitmo angle was a bit facepalmy.
Also not sure if that episode was a homage to stephen king or to 24. Starbuck, aaron and a "patriot" madman were from 24