Treasured Member
btw: grumboldt, not grumble.
3hSlmz4.jpg

• 10Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That's what happens when you have a highly sought out item only available for ONE FUCKING DAY. Who does that?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's what happens when you have a highly sought out item only available for ONE FUCKING DAY. Who does that?

And only 20 per store - and some stores "losing theirs" (probably in reality a "Whoops, it went home with me and ending up on Ebay to supplement my shitty pay" thing).

With how bad of a FUBAR this was and such a blackeye for McD's, I've got a feeling they'll bring it back minus the bullshit in a bit for at least a few months with plenty of stock.

• 1Like

Cybsled

It isn't a blackeye. You have customers going into a frenzy over fucking McDonalds, which was already feeling the pain from "fast casual" outlets and places like Dunkin on the Coffee front.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
They had a winner handed to them and they still fucked it up.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Im gonna guess this is a massive miscommunication between marketing and logistics. I mean it couldn't have been trivial to manufacture the packets and such for this limited run, so why not do a 'full press' of it? Hell they would have gotten more free advertising and value out of this than their 'mac sauce' mcnugget thing they launched...at least I assume that is what the signature sauce is.

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty sure this was mostly just to drive people to the restaurants, the Szechuan sauce wasn't the focus or point of this entire thing besides to R&M fans. This was also the re-launch of the chicken tenders on their menu (plus the other sauces to go with them.) Making the Szechuan sauce/posters scarce just improved the chance that there would be some news coverage about people sitting outside of restaurants waiting to try the sauce and new chicken tenders. It may have pissed off the R&M fan base but people who watch this show put far too much stock into the impact they'll actually have. McD engaging them in the first place was just good marketing on the back of a meme that'd burn out eventually.

I like this show a lot, but god damn the fan base is hard to want to associate or relate with at times.

• 1Picard

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Pretty sure this was just a straight up small batch making of the sauce. It's not like they are gonna retool their production line to make a one off.

They even admitted it was a "limited limited" deal.

• 1Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Im gonna guess this is a massive miscommunication between marketing and logistics. I mean it couldn't have been trivial to manufacture the packets and such for this limited run, so why not do a 'full press' of it? Hell they would have gotten more free advertising and value out of this than their 'mac sauce' mcnugget thing they launched...at least I assume that is what the signature sauce is.

Offtopic, but I've had both sauces and no, it's not the same thing at all. the dipping sauce for the chicken tenders is pretty good.

• 1Like

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sure this was just a straight up small batch making of the sauce. It's not like they are gonna retool their production line to make a one off.

There's limited and there's bullshit. When people are turning around a 25c sauce pack for $650 or more on EBay, you done fucked up on providing a reasonable amount to advertise.

Reach God knows how many millions of customers advertising it while providing enough to cover less than 1%.

Sensibly places should've been stocked enough to cover at least one pack per order of BCT they could prepare. Anything less is mismanagement.

If they didn't want to advertise it and/or advertised it as a door prize type thing it's different though. But FCFS as advertised implies either a good supply or rain checks being available for anything a major vendor does.

• 1Like

Cybsled

It is marketing 101. And it is free marketing for McDonalds, btw. You create a demand, increase the legend, get people who normally didn't give a fuck about R&M to wonder what is special about the sauce that is going for hundreds on Ebay. You basically generate a consumer base of people who may not normally go to McDonalds.

Then you release a wider scale release. All the pent up demand floods out and you get a massive bump in traffic. If demand is solid enough after the initial bump, you use the McRib/Shamrock Shake model: Make it a annual or whatever limited release to help drive consume demand. Same reason why Pumpkin Spice coffee usually isn't served year round: You don't want the consumer to tire of it too quickly.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

There were many of the advertised stores that didn’t get any, and most that did get them got ~20. That’s not “limited”, that’s more like advertising something to get people into the store and then not actually having the advertised item. A clear bait and switch

• 1Like