Rick and Morty

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I feel like the beginning of the season and the end of the season were great, but the middle got a little boring/unfunny.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Is Vat of Acid middle or late?
It is already from the later part, which is does seem to imply that Haus maybe started in the middle?
Vat of Acitd Episode is season 4 episode 8.
The break in seasons 4 was between episode 5 aired on december 15th, 2019 and episode 6 aired on May 3rd, 2020.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Woah, I was going by what was on my DVR, which it would seem screwed up and missed some episodes.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I imagine if you asked a group of people to name top 5 episodes of this show, they'd all be wildly different.

Decided to take you up on this and rank my top 5 Rick and Morty episodes. This was a freaking difficult list to put together, as I edited it seven times before writing down my final ranking. So, here it goes:

5. Vat of Acid- As season 4 was winding down, I was afraid there weren't going to be any truly memorable episodes this season, then WHAM! "Vat of Acid Episode" comes out, and it's one of my all time favorite episodes. The fact that the entire episode comes down to Rick being pissed off at Morty for hating on his acid idea is pure genius. Throw in the fact that the most memorable part of the episode was 5 minutes of "filler" by the lead animator, and it becomes an instant classic.

4. Ricklantis Mix-Up- How good is the writing for this show? Well, they did an entire episode without the actual Rick and Morty even in it, and it still stands out at one of the series' best episodes. Evil genius Morty makes his triumphant return, and we also get "Simple Rick" wafers, and for once Rick is Morty's sidekick "Aw, geez!" All around great episode. "Mermaid puss!"

3. Total Rickall- From beginning to end, one of my favorite episodes. All the flashbacks, all the zany characters, the whole family is in the entire episode, and even Rick can't decide what's real and what isn't! Morty actually winds up saving the day, and the cherry on top, we find out that Mr. Poopy Butthole is actually real when Beth shoots him at the end!

2. Meeseeks and Destroy- Morty gets to choose their adventure, and the way it unravels is absolutely classic. Not only is that main story hilarious, but Jerry thinking he is choosing something easy when he wants to take two strokes off of his golf game, only to discover it's next to impossible and leads to a Meeseeks revolt is just awesome. Throw in a guest appearance by Tom Kenny as king Jellybean, and you have one of the most memorable episodes of the series.

1. Auto Erotic Assimilation- While you could probably take my other top 4 and rearrange them in any order, or even remove some of them altogether and replace them with other episodes, I don't think there's any doubt that this episode was their magnum opus. From beginning to end, the writing is tight. From Rick getting Unity to relax and have fun, to Summer and Morty going from being afraid of becoming part of the collective, to taking Unity's side against their grandfather, it's just funny, beautiful, and soul crushing all at the same time. Patton Oswalt guest starring as Beta 7 only adds to the episode's brilliance. The ending of the episode is both powerful and haunting, and cemented in my mind that this show is more than just a cartoon.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This is what I would consider S Tier episodes. Note that I can rarely remember the actual episode title.

Anatomy Park
Devil episode
Rick dating hive mind
Fake memories aliens
Rick's car battery
Rick destroys the citadel
Pickle Rick
Ricklantis Mixup
Morty death crystal
Vat of acid episode

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well at least we found where the DVR hid the other episodes, now to see the ACTUAL start of the season.. heh

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
This is what I would consider S Tier episodes. Note that I can rarely remember the actual episode title.

Anatomy Park
Devil episode
Rick dating hive mind
Fake memories aliens
Rick's car battery
Rick destroys the citadel
Pickle Rick
Ricklantis Mixup
Morty death crystal
Vat of acid episode

giphy.gif

Best episode for me.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Watching multiple episodes tonight... Including Vat of Acid.. How crazy how well that animator nailed everything that we love about R&M? No script, just how they loved the show that guided them. And it's like quintessential rick and morty. Insanely wonderful. Fucking Jerry resetting time, LOL.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That was interesting. Were Harmon & Roiland involved at all?

I assume they were somewhat involved like with the last one. I don't think they are canon to the show or anything, just guest animators from Japan doing stuff.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Okay-- I'm being a rebel... But I'm watching "Pinky and the Brain" on Hulu. Just saw "A Meticulous Analysis of History." Brilliant!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Finally catching up on these after stopping in the middle of S2.

Just watched the Ricklantis Mixup and it was fucking dark, in a good way, on a level that is shocking even for this show. Extremely clever writing and good musical score, just like the Unity episode.

The writing definitely varies in quality and some episodes have a lot more depth and complexity than others, but I think that's normal. Just like the classic sci-fi shows this borrows so heavily from, like Star Trek TNG and Dr. Who, some episodes just carry a lot more weight than others, and that's probably by design, not every episode can be super heavy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I think because they have so much tome
Between seasons people expect so much. But it’s hard to have every episode be classics. You can pick the 5 best episodes of this show and put it against any other series on TV and I think it wins. It’s so good when it’s on that when it’s not people give it shot.