Rick and Morty

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's not a critique of the show. It's that I'm losing interest waiting 22 years for it to "finish". As great as Breaking Bad was, would we have watched it for 20 years? There's a reason why most of the greatest TV shows of all-time had relatively short runs. The Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc. All were over within 6 seasons.

And while Rick & Morty are only 4 seasons in, it has been on the air since 2013. 7 years to finish 4 seasons and they're contractually obligated for at least 9 more seasons of content. Even at the same rate of production(which I doubt with the whole 1 episode a month thing), that's another 14-15 YEARS before wrapping up.

The reason there have been such prolonged breaks between seasons is that Dan Harmon got fucked over on his TV show "Community," which they would only extend for one season at a time. He wanted a long term commitment from CTN for "Rick and Morty" so the show wasn't literally surviving just season to season. Once he got the 100 episode contract, they've been working at a better pace. Chris Parnell has already stated in an interview that the next season is pretty much story boarded and ready to go. I don't think we'll be seeing the 2 year hiatuses anymore between seasons.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
It's not a critique of the show. It's that I'm losing interest waiting 22 years for it to "finish". As great as Breaking Bad was, would we have watched it for 20 years? There's a reason why most of the greatest TV shows of all-time had relatively short runs. The Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc. All were over within 6 seasons.

And while Rick & Morty are only 4 seasons in, it has been on the air since 2013. 7 years to finish 4 seasons and they're contractually obligated for at least 9 more seasons of content. Even at the same rate of production(which I doubt with the whole 1 episode a month thing), that's another 14-15 YEARS before wrapping up.

This has been the issue of a lot of shows, particularly modern western shows, is that they don't know when to call it quits or leave on a high note. The keep going on like the simpsons, south park, shows like lost, heroes, until they completely lose their flavor and become hollowed out or a mess of plotlines. Or they keep going until they suddenly get told you're not getting renewed next season, and they throw in a quick wrap-up that doesn't quite work. Even the wire with it's meager 5 seasons had originally planned one more season, but got told they had to wrap it up at season 5, leaving it a quick-wrap up and the weakest season.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Difference with a show like "Rick and Morty" is that it's still fresh. Plus, with infinite Rick's, Morty's, Beth's, Jerry's, and Summer's, you can pretty much go in any direction you want. I think you'll see more of what you saw this season: some decent episodes, sprinkled in with a few really good episodes, and an occasional "classic" episode.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Difference with a show like "Rick and Morty" is that it's still fresh. Plus, with infinite Rick's, Morty's, Beth's, Jerry's, and Summer's, you can pretty much go in any direction you want. I think you'll see more of what you saw this season: some decent episodes, sprinkled in with a few really good episodes, and an occasional "classic" episode.

Yeah really they have to shit the bed pretty bad to ruin this show. I was skeptical about S3 and here we are at the end of S4 and I’m still impressed overall.

-edit- btw I posted this with the S4 finale ending song playing on repeat on Spotify. They do an amazing job of combining random nonsense with real life existential questions and deep emotional shit.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Aren't we in a universe where this Beth isn't "our Rick's" Beth? Did Rick make the clone of the Beth in the universe he inherited after he abandoned C-137? Kinda loses some of the emotional value of the ending.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think that's kind of the point, there is no "our Rick" or "our Rick's Beth". There's infinite universes, infinite Ricks, infinite Beths. Rick cloning Beth just throws another Beth on the infinite pile of Beths that he will fuck up his relationship with, it doesn't fix anything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Least favorite season

Without a doubt their weakest season to date. If the lead animator didn't ad-lib the "Vat of Acid" episode, none of the episodes would've truly stood out compared to other seasons. I think they went to the "meta" well far too often this season, and it was also the weakest season in terms of showcasing Jerry, Beth, and Summer. Still, it wasn't a total miss. "Edge of Tomorty: Rick Die Rickpeat," "Rattlestar Ricklatica," and "Never Ricking Morty" were all good episodes, and still make this show better than almost anything else on TV. At the same time, I'm hoping for more out of season 5. I think you can be a fan of the show (and I'm a huge fan of the show) and still be critical of it at the same time.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah sure, you can criticize things you like, even love. I see a few of you guys complaining and I don't really get the complaint, though. The show is amazing, beautifully animated and voiced and well written and funny. It's easy to get cynical about things, but as a kid I never in a million years would have imagined that a show like this would be made, let alone popular. If I had to pick a least favorite this season I guess it was the heist episode. But I still liked that episode a lot, it was funny.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
I thought of the last 3 episodes, there were like 2, maybe 3 that were underwhelming but to a Rick and Morty standard. They were still great and better than most episodes of comedies from shows out there now.

The highs are very high and the lows are still pretty on par.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I thought some were good and some were bad and saw that people felt differently about which episodes belonged in which categories. That's fine with me.

• 1Salty

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I imagine if you asked a group of people to name top 5 episodes of this show, they'd all be wildly different.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its not like the worst episodes were as bad as say, an episode of Westworld season 3, or True Detective season 2.

• 1Solidarity

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I think that's kind of the point, there is no "our Rick" or "our Rick's Beth". There's infinite universes, infinite Ricks, infinite Beths. Rick cloning Beth just throws another Beth on the infinite pile of Beths that he will fuck up his relationship with, it doesn't fix anything.

He pretends nothing matters because there is infinite timelines, yet he can’t seem to do right by anyone in any of them or find any connection with anyone in any of them. No frione nds no family just his own misery

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
this is the third season where they end with Rick feeling bad about himself?

iannis

Musty Nester
It's probably always going to end that way. That's central to his philosophy.

Too smart for his own good, and smart enough to know it.

They'll give you some like the timestop with his grandchildren ending. It's not all misery, either. The show will have fun out of road when they lose that delicate balance of Ricks internal conflict. It's not resolvable.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Around 4 episodes in on this season and so far it's "meh" for me. Vat of Acid was really solid though. I hope they used the train episode to get all the "meta" out of their system for the season. I also worry that maybe it's one of those things where there's little to no way of them continually topping themselves.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
th back half is better, but tbo this thread has a bit of the ole knees to sharp thing going on.

• 3Like