Riddick (2013)

Goatface

what i gather $38 million budget from One Race Films (Vin's) and Media Rights Capital (Ted, Adjustment Bureau) and Universal will be the distributor.
i loved the movies, but would has been happier if Chronicles had less of a grand scale. do idea how if got such a big budget.
"i'll kill you with my tea cup"

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
I remember reading that too and thinking he was going to go the way of Kevin Costner. Never put your own money into your own films. The plot sounds really good. I have high hopes as long as they stick with the suspense like the prison scenes/sun fiery thingy stuff, and less with the courtly/stately manner with shitty actors (not Judi Dench, obviously) doing even shittier accents.

I'm a sucker for this stuff either way. And the video games, and anime don't get nearly enough credit. Great series.
I thought he ended up buying the rights to the riddick character, which is why this movie ended up happening.
I might be off, but Vin was a big driving force for the 3rd movie happening and he has put alot behind it.
Just from what he has posted on facebook, he thinks it should be good, so there is hope.

I met him at the fangoria convention when they were schilling for pitch black, and when you saw him talk, or talked to him, you could see he stood behind the character and the movie.
If this has half the conviction, I'm sold.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is awesome news, pitch black is one of my favorite movies and I also enjoyed Chronicles. The video game was great too. I am really looking forward to some more Space Conan.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Funny, as soon as I saw the throne pic all I could think of is "He Made King Conan in space"

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Funny, as soon as I saw the throne pic all I could think of is "He Made King Conan in space"
yea thats pmuch it. Instead of the gods sending valkyries to help him hes got some space future powers. They aren't fancy movies, but they are definitely worth a watch. Its the sort of movie that can't go too wrong if they include a good amount of action and bewbs.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Pitch Black is fuckin amazing.
Chronicles is a total different style.still prefer PB.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Chronicles the theatrical release is missing some key stuff that sort of brings everything together and makes the entire movie make more sense. It wasn't even that much that they cut, but it was enough to throw a bit of confusion into the mix. Mainly the Furyan stuff. Director's cut made a lot more sense.

Looking forward to this one immensely.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I love me some sci fi stuff, and I loved both the movies. Looking forward to the next.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
There was some animated version of Riddick that had Toombs chasing him, wasn't it sort of a prequel story to Chronicles?
Yeah, I mentioned it in my post. It's also another Furyan tie-in, called Dark Fury. Had all the surviving characters from Pitch Black on their way to the Imam's homeworld caotured by some crazy fuck with a museum ship.

Caliane

its very different.

Pitch black is alot like Alien as mentioned earlier. its very much a tight survival horror.

Chronicles is... Moebius, 2000 AD, Dune etc.
Its a bit flawed. not really going one directly enough. It wants to be this mind blowing, Sci fi epic, but get dragged down in some typical action sequences. And Vin, not really doing a great job fitting the role of this chosen one.

Its hard to shoehorn the two into the same universe, nevermind a direct sequel.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Toombs and the prison planet could have been its own movie without all the necromonger stuff.

Caliane

Toombs and the prison planet could have been its own movie without all the necromonger stuff.
yeah, that part is really disjointed.

you have the parts that connect the two. and you have the glorious space opera.

Its like if Dune was a direct sequel to Alien. A huge conflict is created just by your mind trying to make these two pieces fit.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I loved Pitch Black, enjoyed Riddick and have been waiting for the next iteration to come or get announced for a while now. Glad its finally coming. I really enjoy the the Riddick universe and story. Between this news and the Jurassic park 4 news, I'm very happy for the next 2 years.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
I hated the Necromongers, they basically win every single war, have no challengers and at the end Riddick gets control of this unstoppable army. Not sure how they can even make another movie without retconning some of that or doing something that makes all these dead zombies just drop dead and die in peace.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I hated the Necromongers, they basically win every single war, have no challengers and at the end Riddick gets control of this unstoppable army. Not sure how they can even make another movie without retconning some of that or doing something that makes all these dead zombies just drop dead and die in peace.
Because there was far worse shit waiting for them in the Underverse. The setup was that they were unstoppable here, but once they transitioned over they'd be on equal footing with the "enemy". I think Wiki has an article on what they originally planned before Chronicles didn't make the money.