Rift: Planes of Telara

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Cool update, too bad it costs almost the price of a new game ($35) for what doesn't even amount to a new class

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
They should do a relaunch of this one when the Wrath relaunch fizzles out

With a more functional Hammerknell (which should be the case now), I feel like this one woulda made it

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I played this game at launch it was boring as fuck. Literally one of the only games in my life I played that I actually fell asleep plaing grinding on some mobs. I think I made it to like 40 soemthing and quit. What didnt help is you could maco the shit out of it so you basically spamed one button for combat.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Yeah I remember the warrior class having some ridiculous macro you could literally mash and own everyone making a legit effort

Kill that for sure

Otherwise, if they'd go back to their philosophy they had in beta with the invasions being brutal zone take overs requiring a true call to arms every so often when a big event triggered? they had something REALLY good, esp from classic design and the direction it started to be headed

it all just kinda fell flat with the long delay to Hammerknell and the state that launched in

If I remember correctly, they did a classic relaunch a while back

if I missed it then fuck me

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
When they nerfed the fuck out of all the interesting shit after launch it was kinda meh after that.
That and after like level 25 the zones were just not finished.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Maybe it’s me, but outside the open world events when they were hard, this game never grabbed me. At all. Just boring overall.

I remember a few dungeons and the green dragon raid but nothing else

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
The heroic dungeons on release were AWESOME. Then they nerfed the hard encounters and it was bleh.

• 2Like

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
That first snow covered mountain run was kinda amazing. I think that was Rift. Fuck that was a long ass time ago.

And the Riftstalker Thief tank idea was a blast. I loved it in the pvp battlegrounds.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed Rift a lot, but yeah, it got nerfed too hard. Liked the little class combinations (even though a lot of stuff was cookie cutter), and goddamn were those little collectible shinies addicting to find.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I loved this game back in the days, class system were great, original dungeons were great, raid encounters were great fun as well.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Loved it even it first released. The Rogue class had some of the best and unique roles in any MMO. Then they decided that was too fun and that everyone had to be exactly the same at everything.

If I missed it then fuck me

It was garbage. All the fun specs started off nerfed into the ground, exp rate was cut drastically so even after you finished all the quests in an area you'd have to grind the same dungeon 20-30 times before you'd level up enough for the next area, and it had no raids.

The raids that had already existed for 7 years for some inexplicable reason weren't in the game.

• 2Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Never played a game that had such a huge quality swing from beta to release. Legitimately good times in beta, release onwards the fun factor plunged.

• 1Solidarity

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
They went super ham on nerfing all the random specs early on, made a lot of really fun setups completely unworkable. Also the Hard versions of the dungeons were hilariously overtuned. I remember running those with some guildies who were all pretty solid bros and it just being a super gnarly slog with way too many insta-wipe mechanics. There was effectively no way to gear up appropriately pre-hardmodes without grinding rifts for a million years, so it was a lot of running and then getting lucky on drops so that subsequent runs were easier and less RNG. I will say, these bros were very much EQ folks (were active raiders at the time in OoW I think? Or Dragons of Norrath, something) so the more active mechanics were kind of... new, to them. Had I rolled with some WoW folks it would have probably been a much different situation, but yeah they nerfed those super hard like a month after release.

I was waaaay ahead of the rest of my guild on launch, and managed to not get stuck in all the bugged portals in the mid-tier zones. The shit where the same rift would open on itself several times, in like a key town area (can't remember any of the names, but it was the witch/werewolf zone) and people basically had to wait for server resets to turn in the zone quests (this was... guardian? whatever the alliance-lite side was) Like hundreds of elite mobs that would just instagib anyone trying to tank or kite away, even if you were max level.

It was pretty cool at release, but then the interest fell off hard as they kept nerfing all the shit I was into (not even broken or OP specs, just shit that was interesting/useful into only 1 good tank spec, 1 good dps spec, etc for each class)

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The raids that had already existed for 7 years for some inexplicable reason weren't in the game.
Gives me a strong feeling sometimes this game got sabotaged. Dare I ask our boy in the shaw right now...?

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
They did do a 'classic' relaunch, Rift Prime. It was packed for a few days like WoW classic, but people quickly found out they had no clue what they were doing. I think there were 10v10 battlegrounds, and if one side had more than ONE healer, people just wouldn't die, it was hilarious. Stayed that way for over a week before we gave up, who knows if it was ever fixed. Turned in to a ghost town super quick.

The original release had the typical overpowered / annoying rogue class in PvP, except it was even more imbalanced. I'm pretty sure a few devs mained a rogue, because I found a weirdly obscure warrior build using the beastmaster tree and one other(?) where I did next to no damage, but could see stealthers 50m out. They straight up removed the stealth detection in the tree that week lol.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Ok
They went super ham on nerfing all the random specs early on, made a lot of really fun setups completely unworkable. Also the Hard versions of the dungeons were hilariously overtuned. I remember running those with some guildies who were all pretty solid bros and it just being a super gnarly slog with way too many insta-wipe mechanics. There was effectively no way to gear up appropriately pre-hardmodes without grinding rifts for a million years, so it was a lot of running and then getting lucky on drops so that subsequent runs were easier and less RNG. I will say, these bros were very much EQ folks (were active raiders at the time in OoW I think? Or Dragons of Norrath, something) so the more active mechanics were kind of... new, to them. Had I rolled with some WoW folks it would have probably been a much different situation, but yeah they nerfed those super hard like a month after release.

I was waaaay ahead of the rest of my guild on launch, and managed to not get stuck in all the bugged portals in the mid-tier zones. The shit where the same rift would open on itself several times, in like a key town area (can't remember any of the names, but it was the witch/werewolf zone) and people basically had to wait for server resets to turn in the zone quests (this was... guardian? whatever the alliance-lite side was) Like hundreds of elite mobs that would just instagib anyone trying to tank or kite away, even if you were max level.

It was pretty cool at release, but then the interest fell off hard as they kept nerfing all the shit I was into (not even broken or OP specs, just shit that was interesting/useful into only 1 good tank spec, 1 good dps spec, etc for each class)
Honestly the overturned dungeons were when this game was at its best for me. Then early raiding when having 20 people who did well in the early heroic running had succeeded and had a head start began to run raid is when this game peaked.

• 2Like

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Rift was one of my favorite MMO launches that I went hardcore on. Was about 10 of us in DROW/BOTS that pretty much got 95% of all the various server firsts across the board. The unnerfed heroic's were no fucking joke and felt so refreshing to having to figure out stuff that no one had written guides for etc. Raiding was fun and challenging early on too. I even two boxed a rune healer. Really enjoyed parts of RIFT but after the heavy nerf bat to content and so many of the fun builds we came up with eventually we lost interest and left the game for another MMO.

I always played sorc/wiz nuke classes in MMO's then 2 boxed or alted healers strictly for neccassity even though I didn't enjoy. Rift is the only MMO I mained a healer, but it was a Chloromancer dps healer and I'll say its one of the 3 best classes in any MMO hands down I have enjoyed playing. It originally scaled healing completely with damage out put so played into my play style and strong suites. Was consistently #2 in the world in pushing out dps/hps (loved that they had all those stats available to track). Then they fucking nerfed chloro's to have static heal amounts that didn't scale with dps and it ruined the class for me and really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Wasn't the OMG world changer but RIFT was probably my 3rd favorite MMO behind Vanguard and EQ across the last 20+ years.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Add me to the loved it in the early days crowd. Riftstalker tanking and Chloromancer healing were pretty unique and cool at the time.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users