Rift: Planes of Telara

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Vanguard is still my favorite game that was murdered in its infancy, but RIFT holds a place in my heart for the first month of play. It was really good, and a solid contender until they decided to fuck the shit out of the fun.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Rift was one of my favorite MMO launches that I went hardcore on. Was about 10 of us in DROW/BOTS that pretty much got 95% of all the various server firsts across the board. The unnerfed heroic's were no fucking joke and felt so refreshing to having to figure out stuff that no one had written guides for etc. Raiding was fun and challenging early on too. I even two boxed a rune healer. Really enjoyed parts of RIFT but after the heavy nerf bat to content and so many of the fun builds we came up with eventually we lost interest and left the game for another MMO.

I always played sorc/wiz nuke classes in MMO's then 2 boxed or alted healers strictly for neccassity even though I didn't enjoy. Rift is the only MMO I mained a healer, but it was a Chloromancer dps healer and I'll say its one of the 3 best classes in any MMO hands down I have enjoyed playing. It originally scaled healing completely with damage out put so played into my play style and strong suites. Was consistently #2 in the world in pushing out dps/hps (loved that they had all those stats available to track). Then they fucking nerfed chloro's to have static heal amounts that didn't scale with dps and it ruined the class for me and really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Wasn't the OMG world changer but RIFT was probably my 3rd favorite MMO behind Vanguard and EQ across the last 20+ years.

Fellow chloro bro here, amen.

If I won the lottery I'd do something Curt style with this IP.

You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one.

1662651269996.png

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Chloro and Inquisicar were both fun heal specs.

Riftstalker teleporting all over the place tank, Everything about saboteur

The level of incompetence to take what's literally the greatest aspect of your game and systematically destroy it is insane

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

The level of incompetence to take what's literally the greatest aspect of your game and systematically destroy it is insane

Makes you wonder doesn't it

Who made those calls? Why?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Makes you wonder doesn't it

Who made those calls? Why?

Scott Hartsman was executive producer.

Employees always talked about how he'd be in meetings and his framed picture of Shawn Woolley would catch his eye and he'd freeze up, lip quivering, as he was fighting back the tears forming in the pit of his eye before rushing out of the room.

He'd be unreachable for the next 2-3 hours and at one point it became too much which is why he left and word is he moved to a monestary in Tibet.

Rift's been spiraling down ever since

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
All I remember was playing warrior and it being a one button macro wonder. Plus your CDs.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Rift was one of my favorite MMO launches that I went hardcore on. Was about 10 of us in DROW/BOTS that pretty much got 95% of all the various server firsts across the board. The unnerfed heroic's were no fucking joke and felt so refreshing to having to figure out stuff that no one had written guides for etc. Raiding was fun and challenging early on too. I even two boxed a rune healer. Really enjoyed parts of RIFT but after the heavy nerf bat to content and so many of the fun builds we came up with eventually we lost interest and left the game for another MMO.

I always played sorc/wiz nuke classes in MMO's then 2 boxed or alted healers strictly for neccassity even though I didn't enjoy. Rift is the only MMO I mained a healer, but it was a Chloromancer dps healer and I'll say its one of the 3 best classes in any MMO hands down I have enjoyed playing. It originally scaled healing completely with damage out put so played into my play style and strong suites. Was consistently #2 in the world in pushing out dps/hps (loved that they had all those stats available to track). Then they fucking nerfed chloro's to have static heal amounts that didn't scale with dps and it ruined the class for me and really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Wasn't the OMG world changer but RIFT was probably my 3rd favorite MMO behind Vanguard and EQ across the last 20+ years.
Chloromancer best class.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
You can kill group mob with chloro + earth element (tank) build, super slow tho

2011-05-17_174756.jpg

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I was sick of seeing so many dirty mages in the BGs, so I made an annoying warrior build that had 2 different pulls on what felt like a 10 second cooldown. I took a lot of damage but dealt pretty much 0, was more of a nuisance. Oh and I had a huge mana drain for some reason before they nerfed it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is one of those games I’d like to read a behind the scenes article about. We all know what went down with vanguard and some other games but this one is still a mystery. The entire player base feels exactly the same about this game whenever I see it discussed. Rogue tank was cool, healer mage was cool, etc. then they all got nerfed and sucked. Difficulty was fun then it got nerfed. Rift invasions were fun then they got nerfed.

Who was making these calls and why? How were they so disconnected from their game and player base?

Only Sox may know.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The answers are in the sock drawer

Edit- ah wait it was the podcast would reveal all but Riot has the answers

Last edited:

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
This is one of those games I’d like to read a behind the scenes article about. We all know what went down with vanguard and some other games but this one is still a mystery. The entire player base feels exactly the same about this game whenever I see it discussed. Rogue tank was cool, healer mage was cool, etc. then they all got nerfed and sucked. Difficulty was fun then it got nerfed. Rift invasions were fun then they got nerfed.

Who was making these calls and why? How were they so disconnected from their game and player base?

Only Sox may know.

Reeks of sabotage, it really does lol

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

Inquisicar was dope but I had to play Senticar because my guild was so bad that they needed me to have two battle rezes.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
To be fair it has some very unforgiving fights and gross raid damage on the big stuff

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I remember Scott Hartman used to post here for a while. Not sure if it was in that era of Rift or not. But then he just stopped coming here.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Vanguard is still my favorite game that was murdered in its infancy, but RIFT holds a place in my heart for the first month of play. It was really good, and a solid contender until they decided to fuck the shit out of the fun.

I consider Vanguard more disabled at birth. Like a kid with heart defects that just couldn't make it in this harsh world. They were just unable to keep a functioning game up for many players. RIFT was murdered. They had amazing classes like Chloro and Riftstalker. They had lots of options for fun, functional classes and a game that worked well overall. The Rifts started incredibly well. The beta was some of the most fun I've had in MMOs. It could have continued this way but they murdered all the classes, the rifts, the raids.....all the fun parts.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I remember Scott Hartman used to post here for a while. Not sure if it was in that era of Rift or not. But then he just stopped coming here.
Utnayan probably chewed his ass about something and ran him off

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I consider Vanguard more disabled at birth. Like a kid with heart defects that just couldn't make it in this harsh world. They were just unable to keep a functioning game up for many players. RIFT was murdered. They had amazing classes like Chloro and Riftstalker. They had lots of options for fun, functional classes and a game that worked well overall. The Rifts started incredibly well. The beta was some of the most fun I've had in MMOs. It could have continued this way but they murdered all the classes, the rifts, the raids.....all the fun parts.
Vanguard started off terrible but turned it around. It did get a murdered moment later in life, it just had a smaller audience than Rift when it happened. Rift murdered it very early comparatively.

• 1Like