Rift: Planes of Telara

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
Whoa, this is big news really. I think Scott is the real up and coming guy that is hot on the MMO market. I don't think you can say he has any failures on his record and where ever he lands people may want to take notice. These guys are like coaches anymore... Brad is kind of like Jim Tressel and Scott is like Urban Meyer.
Maybe back to SoE everquest 3 next is their flagship, and smokejumper couid not lead bunch of hookers let alone head new mmo.

Brad came back, dont know what other mmo studios Scott could head to atm or want to.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Maybe back to SoE everquest 3 next is their flagship, and smokejumper couid not lead bunch of hookers let alone head new mmo.

Brad came back, dont know what other mmo studios Scott could head to atm or want to.
That's about the truth... Smokejumper is just about the most irrelevant person in SoE or even MMO's. I have pretty much seen absolutely nothing happen under SJ's watch at SoE. Well nothing or any worth. Is SoE actually trying to build a dream team? (just speculation of course)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The word Next might say it all.
Many may not agree or even thinks it matters but if Scottdidjoin the EQN team, it would give me a jolt of confidence. I think who or whatever he joins it will be good. I don't think he would leave otherwise. I would make him some type of community liaison in addition to whatever title he wants. He's great with the community or player base, whatever. Has he moved from FoH to here?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If I'm not mistaken, Scott has never been the head of a project from Day 1 before. If I had to guess, I would imagine that what he would want to do next. Unless he's got a boner for EQ and just wants to be involved with it.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Scott always seemed like a cool guy, I just hope he gets on a project he's truly passionate about. Because I don't think he really thought Rift was anything special, and indeed it wasn't. He posted a lot on FoH about the game until the moment the game launched, then we never heard from him again. I was in a hardcore raiding guild from launch up until Hammerknwell and to me they took the worst aspects of WoW raiding and upped it to the nth degree. I am so done with the million variations of "don't stand in fire" strats.

Here was Rift raiding in a nutshell:

1) Zoom all the way out
2) Stare at the the ground to avoid the circles of death
3) Hop around like a retard

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I played hardcore through Hammerknell and I agree. Some of the raid designers, from what I've heard, never raided before. Some of the design was downright shit and probably killed the game for a lot of people.

Fuck 10 minute fights where one mistake made you have to do the easy first 8 minutes.

Anyway, Scott posted on FOH after release, just not as frequent. Hopefully he still Lurks.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Fuck 10 minute fights where one mistake made you have to do the easy first 8 minutes.
Yea, that didnt seem to change with SL. It was kind of neat leveling and gearing out trying to be a competitive raider, but when I actually, you know, raided it felt like work. I forget what fight finally got me to quit, some twin giants thing in SL where, after 10 minutes of EZ, there was a bullshit clicky one person in the raid had to click on and LoS, never failed we died at 10%. Over and over, because of one person. Good raid!

Finally un-subbed when I realized I was actively dreading raid time, and they gutted pvp gear completely, so you can't gear up that way anymore.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm pretty sure Trion is fucked. I don't know who is going to buy/play Defiance and the show is almost certainly going to be terrible and canned after one season.

Rift expansion was awesome but nobody bought it, and I personally lost interest pretty fast. The RTS MMO was total shit and I doubt it's going to ever see the light of day now that they closed that entire studio. The company seems to be lumped with too much failure
The problem with the expansion is they tried to reboot the game with it. It wasn't "here's more stuff to do" it was "here's more stuff to do and forget everything you ever knew about your class" That was a pretty bad decision. I played the game for a week and dropped it, even with a full year already paid up. I really liked their constant updating of the game and consistent content additions. But I was actually pretty disappointed with the expansion. I was obviously not alone.

Fuya_sl

shitlord
I was completely turned off by what they did to the warrior class. After finally making level 60 and noticing that even with raid gear my tanking would still be less than what it was pre-expansion I decided it wasn't worth it. Couple with massive rep grinding and bots everywhere this game turn to shit fast.

Travel was another reason for me to quit. I know they want to try to make travel dangerous but it was just tedious. Everquest 1999 travel was dangerous. This shit was just down right anger inducing. It was actually safer to travel off road than on the road because of Trion having a hardon to place mobs and even entire encampments in the middle of the road. None of the stuff would kill you, just slow you down to the point you would miss event bosses and not receive credit. Rift vanilla had its share of trash in the roads but nothing to this caliber. Also, don't even dare bring up flying mounts. WoW had them so therefor they are bad and will destroy the community... at least that is what the Rift forum warriors keep repeating.

I was so hyped for this expansion and barely made it two months before unsubbing.

Gorestabb

I've just started playing this again. Rather than try and figure out how things work again with my 50s I've started over with a cleric.

Loving it so far, I think it's just been a long time since I had an MMO fix. It was a bit strange how they've obviously removed 75% of the starter zone quests, not sure why that took place. Took part in a rift invasion last night, I'd forgotten how much fun they are, like a zone wide public quest.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
Got the 1 year sub with the Expansion SL deal, I had fun in the expansion but now for few weeks now not playing atm.

But i still play anytime want, to busy playing other mmo's atm.

The New State of the Game 1,2 are on the offical site, and must say their pretty fucking unspireing.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Loving it so far, I think it's just been a long time since I had an MMO fix. It was a bit strange how they've obviously removed 75% of the starter zone quests, not sure why that took place. Took part in a rift invasion last night, I'd forgotten how much fun they are, like a zone wide public quest.
Did you start as defiant? I noticed the exact same thing when I rolled a new cleric back in november. You do like 2 quests after the tutorial then the chains just break and there's nothing.

Gorestabb

Did you start as defiant?
No, Guardian, but from what you've said I presume it's the same for both. I've got 3 level 50s and a crafting minion, so I know the starter zone like the back of my hand even after 18 months. All the quest mobs, clickies, and collectables are still there, but they just don't do anything and you're whisked through to the first proper zone after a handful of quests.

I always thought the starter zone in Rift was well done, and introduced the world really well, I just don't get why they've cut it back so drastically.

ixian_sl

shitlord
It was a bit strange how they've obviously removed 75% of the starter zone quests, not sure why that took place.
The lead designer posted about this saying that based on their data, the starting area was one of the drop off points for new players so they simplified it a bit.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Scott always seemed like a cool guy, I just hope he gets on a project he's truly passionate about. Because I don't think he really thought Rift was anything special, and indeed it wasn't. He posted a lot on FoH about the game until the moment the game launched, then we never heard from him again. I was in a hardcore raiding guild from launch up until Hammerknwell and to me they took the worst aspects of WoW raiding and upped it to the nth degree. I am so done with the million variations of "don't stand in fire" strats.

Here was Rift raiding in a nutshell:

1) Zoom all the way out
2) Stare at the the ground to avoid the circles of death
3) Hop around like a retard
After going back to SL it was worse honestly. The raiding was boring / bugged as hell and the raiding pop is so watered down its 98.99999 baddies. All Rift did was play reindeer games with their Alpha and hype to release a mediocre MMO which turned for the worst.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I played Rift exensively during the first few months, but then was abruptly bored with it. Most people I played with quitted, because of raids or other reasons (usually "too much wow-like") and certainly that had something to do with me getting bored quickly.

I think Scott and the Rift team did a decent job considering the starting budget (50m IIRC): good visuals, not terrible animations, etc it just wasn't a superb game, just good I guess.
As a whole, evaluating Scott's work, I enjoyed more Echoes of Faydwer than Rift, but the following xpack, Kunark, was quite disappointing.

Anyway, best luck to him, he certainly proved he can make good games, deliver them and probably stay inside the budget (unlike somebody else *cough*).

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I had a lot of fun with it but it took a very soft (WoW) approach to PvP and it could have done huge and awesome things.