RIFT

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last patch before everyone chooses whether to renew their subs or not and this is what they give.

RIFT 4.4: Hotfix #5 4/4/2018

== LIVE SERVER NOTES ==

DUNGEONS & RAIDS

REALM OF THE FAE: EXPERT
* Grand Apiarist Orban: Fixed an issue where players could force Orban into a broken state.

FOUL CASCADE: EXPERT
* Countess Surin Skenobar: Reduced the damage dealt.

RIP. Progression server is dead before it ever got anywhere.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah I burnt out before even hitting 50. Made it to 46, but fuck running 50-60 more dungeons

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
lol I just /q'd out of a dungeon at lvl 49. I think I'm done too. Sub runs out anywho. It was...interesting. Shiat, I need to stop wasting my time on these ;\

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
Any prime Mage non MA leveling builds?

People getting kicked out of dungeons for not running MA, kind of obnoxious. On the other hand I've been stuck in a group where people were playing sub-optimal builds and I was doing more damage than everyone combined. So yeah my time is valuable too dammit! /kick!

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
People getting kicked out of dungeons for not running MA, kind of obnoxious. On the other hand I've been stuck in a group where people were playing sub-optimal builds and I was doing more damage than everyone combined. So yeah my time is valuable too dammit! /kick!

Nothing else is even competitive? How is that not a design flaw?

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
Normally when people cry about balance in an MMO, they shriek "The devs have no idea what they're doing". Not the case for normal MMOs like WoW, even EQ and EQ2 are relatively balanced.

Rift? They literally have no idea what they're doing. It's not hyperbole. I got to 50 on Prime, and my Sab rogue build was best AE damage AND single target damage, and beat every other soul/build by a good 50-80%, and keep in mind this is ranged DPS. So yes, melee dps, who have to fight with mechanics and uptime, was worse by a large factor even with 100% uptime. Those 40 other souls? Useless. The entire warrior class is sub-par (they have a nice pvp heal build though? lol)

You like PvP? Enjoy one healer surviving 5-6 DPS on him. Oops, your warfront has 2 healers now! 10 minute warfronts ended with 0 deaths. (This was 40+, the earlier warfronts were more balanced).

I havent played since my 30 days were up, but for some reason it's entertaining watching the train wreck =)

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Normally when people cry about balance in an MMO, they shriek "The devs have no idea what they're doing". Not the case for normal MMOs like WoW, even EQ and EQ2 are relatively balanced.

Rift? They literally have no idea what they're doing. It's not hyperbole. I got to 50 on Prime, and my Sab rogue build was best AE damage AND single target damage, and beat every other soul/build by a good 50-80%, and keep in mind this is ranged DPS. So yes, melee dps, who have to fight with mechanics and uptime, was worse by a large factor even with 100% uptime. Those 40 other souls? Useless. The entire warrior class is sub-par (they have a nice pvp heal build though? lol)

You like PvP? Enjoy one healer surviving 5-6 DPS on him. Oops, your warfront has 2 healers now! 10 minute warfronts ended with 0 deaths. (This was 40+, the earlier warfronts were more balanced).

I havent played since my 30 days were up, but for some reason it's entertaining watching the train wreck =)

I am done here also... RIFT was a cool idea with pretty lame implementation. I honestly think they purposely leave souls useless so they don't have to fix problems with them. Trion has always been about recycling content and less work for Trion.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Scott... if you're reading this.. run and buy the EQ franchise. I trust you far more than I did with the IP in Ponytail's hands. The dude just about made EQ2 into something. (Not to give him all the credit but you know what I mean). I enjoyed the heck out of EQ2 while he was at the helm.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
TBH, I am not a fan of Scott after he joined Trion, RIFT turned from an above average MMO to a below average P2W crap, regardless what Scott position was within Trion.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I had thought things were going well for Trion after the whole Trove business. Was the success on consoles short lived?

Unfortunate that nearly everyone was laid off in the process.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
TBH, I am not a fan of Scott after he joined Trion, RIFT turned from an above average MMO to a below average P2W crap, regardless what Scott position was within Trion.

Not entirely Scott's fault.

The higher-ups at Trion decided that it was a good idea to make Defiance, End of Nations, and acquire publishing rights from Crytek for Warface all on the back of Rift and its success.

Defiance had an extremely underwhelming life and could probably be considered an economic loss, even if it wasn't technically a commercial failure.

End of Nations got stuck in development hell for years, eating up cash and time before it finally got canned.

Warface... not many details are known about this blunder. I'm not sure if Trion wasn't progressing on it fast enough for Crytek so they canceled the contract or if they never secured a deal in the first place.

The fact is that Trion was in a very bad place when Hartsman came in to bail out the company. And he did. He turned Rift into a cash cow, and the release of Trove and ArcheAge also saw large increases in short-term profits. The investors saw these numbers and were like, "Oh yeah, keep doing this" not realizing that you can only milk your playerbase for so long before they get pissed and leave.

I think Hartsman does bear some of the responsibility. But I think that given a position that isn't doomed to turn him into a villain, he could still produce good games.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
At the end of the day, the only reason any business exists is to make money. Whether it chases the quick, short term dollar or has the vision and tenacity to reap the long term dollar is what separates the Blizzards from the Trions. Ultimately, though, the almighty dollar is king and you either die a hero (Blizzard North) or live long enough to become the villain (Activision-Blizzard).

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i started at launch and burned out like 3 months in. cant believe it went on for 8 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
i started at launch and burned out like 3 months in. cant believe it went on for 8 years.
Same. The invasions were a hell of a lot of fun when there was a significant player population, though. But after that started dwindling away the game just became a grind. I don't think I made it past level 40.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Rift had some serious potential, along with other games such as WAR that came out roughly in that timeframe, but this again is one of those games that suffered from changes that hurt the game rather than spending development addressing either unfinished or broken stuff.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Rift had some serious potential, along with other games such as WAR that came out roughly in that timeframe, but this again is one of those games that suffered from changes that hurt the game rather than spending development addressing either unfinished or broken stuff.

Pretty much this. Game was fantastic the 1st couple months. Content was challenging. Rift were pretty cool. Then they started changing shit that didn't need to be changed.