Rimworld

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Think I like watching videos of this game more than playing it. Refunded it on Steam, will have to pick it up some other time to tinker more.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I did not notice that. I will have to look at this when I get home tonight. Thanks

Also, you don't even need to make the map bigger, just pick a mountain as your landing spot. 1/3 of the map will be nothing but mountain usually.

Just wanted to say i've suck some serious hours into this game. Has a couple annoying issues (mental breaks and overall mood system) but it's fun as shit.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Gnomoria on Steam is an option as well, I am terrible at it.
yeah. while I have hundreds, and possibly even thousands of hours in Gnomoria.. I have to echo much of the recent reviews on Steam. The game is essentially abandonware as far as I can tell.
Its a decent base. but just too lite. Its ok, but I can't really recommend it over Prison architect, and probably this.

I have not played Rimworld yet. probably should..
Is this still in alpha? like in my head, I dont even register the name as Rimworld, its Rimworldalpha.

RPS had a good article on it yesterday. Talking about progressively generated narration/story.
How RimWorld Generates Great Stories

Sylvester is ex-Irrational games. didn't know that.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The Gnomoria developers did stop development on the title.

So did the Towns developers.

Caliane

A link to the imported thread, just to have it at easy access.
RimWorld_imported

As I noted in the No man's sky. I did bite on this. And have been playing quite a bit the last week. I definitely like it quite a bit. overall, I would say it is currently very comparable to Gnomoria, in terms of content. It is more advanced in some places, less advanced in others.

Been doing Cassandra, challenging, shipwreck, in generally temperate forests. Failing pretty quickly over and over. haha. This definitely has the "losing is fun" down.
Although, it does clearly need to be balanced, and worked on still. I find the cascading nature of mental breaks to be a bit overbearing. There is plenty of ways to add challenge, and complexity, without just making your colony totally collapse due to cascading loss of player control. Colonist dies to head shot, >mental break due to friend dying>starvation/exhaustion due to mental break and not eating>illness>not fighting/hunting/etc>more mental breaks from loss of workforce>collapse.
A bit too often collapse comes from your colonists just standing around in a mental break refusing to do anything, while everything goes to shit. Starving while, there is fresh meat sitting there to be cooked. Eating corpses, when there is fresh meat to be butchered, and cooked...

Challenge and rng events can be added, to compensate for a more logical/balanced mental break system. I think the author should take a look at Darkest dungeons stress.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Challenge and rng events can be added, to compensate for a more logical/balanced mental break system. I think the author should take a look at Darkest dungeons stress.

Mental breaks aren't really a big threat once you understand things better but it's a shame that there isn't a real tutorial yet to walk players through all the details. The best way to start the game is to watch some let's plays of people who have played a bit so you can figure things out, Quill18 for example. As for a quick run through of how to avoid breaks it's oddly important to build tables/chairs for dining, get people their own rooms in area's where they can't be disturbed (I modded that out because F being disturbed through granite walls), provide lighting in work areas and cook your meals. Also very important is that you need to manage Joy on work schedules, set some mandatory consecutive hour joy periods and make sure there are horse shoes around. Pay attention to their thoughts and if you have someone nearing a break take them off of mining/hauling and just let them hang out around your nicer areas. Failing all that you can always just fall back on walling them up with some food inside a room, doors won't cut it, and let them cool off. It's a very micro heavy game compared to some others.

Anyway I've played this quite a bit and I've enjoyed it but I wish people would quit with the "storyteller" nonsense, it's just a script with a small pool of events that you will run through on repeat fairly quickly. The only story to be had is your own as you deal with the tenth human wave to come your way or a horde of insects spawning in your only heated room in the winter. I hate insects.

Caliane

build 15 is in unstable atm. supposed to have a tut. haven't looked at it yet.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I just bought this over the weekend and have already put dozens of hours into it. My sleep is suffering badly :(

I played Gnomoria a lot early on, and was disappointed when I went to play it again a couple months ago and found out about the abandonware thing, so I've been resisting the urge to buy this at full price as it seemed a bit steep even though hodj hodj assured me it was a good game. But, I have to say that it is already worth the cost if you like this type of game, and if it actually gets finished to a polished extent. And though I haven't tried them, the addition of mods is a huge deal that will allow the game to be "finished" even if it gets abandoned too.

I'm still playing gimped with "Base Builder" as the option so I don't worry about raids much at all (yet anyway) just to learn the nuances, and because honestly that is the part of games like Gnomoria that I dislike the most. I don't want to have to rush to weapons/defenses before anything else just to hold off an inevitable horde. I enjoy actually building shit, which is why Evil Genius scratched my itch so much. I love that they've included the option to tone down those raids in this game.

The only thing I really miss from Gnomoria is the multiple elevations, but honestly that isn't really a big deal once you remember that building ramps and stairs was usually a buggy piece of shit and way more trouble than it was worth, and even the smallest maps on mountainous terrain (as mentioned above) has more than enough room to make the biggest underground lair. And now you can see the whole thing at once instead of having to scroll up and down through elevations.

In both games it sort of bugs me that if you don't have someone more or less dedicated to research from the moment you start, you're gimping yourself, but I suppose they have to limit you somehow. I just feel like, with the standard 3 colonists anyway, removing one of them so they do nothing at all but research most of the time is kind of shitty.

I started playing without reading anything or watching any tutorials so I missed out on a lot of stuff about mental breaks and happiness and all that, and I'm sure I'm still missing a lot, but if you've played a game like this before it is sort of fun to just learn by trial and error. I'll probably watch some videos now that I know wtf is going on with a lot of the basics and realize that I've still been fucking things up badly, but a new colony is always just a click away.

By the way, the single biggest thing that I learned much too late for my first couple of attempts was about making a room with two coolers in it to refrigerate food. I was literally doing nothing but hunting and making food to keep up with the spoilage/hunger.

EDIT: Oh, and I've had zero problems with build 15 or the tutorial, before and after the little patch I believe they had.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Get both, try both for two hours, return the one you don't like.

There is no way to choose otherwise.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
They are completely different games imo. If you love building massively complicated automatic machines in FTB Minecraft then you'll probably like Factorio. That game is focused around building massively complicated machinery to build things for you.

Rimworld has nothing like that and can't really compare. If you've played Dwarf Fortress or any of the derivatives and enjoyed them then you'll probably like Rimworld.

Caliane

Build 16 is out. huge update, imho. A globe. Caravans, raids multiple colonies, etc.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Finally broke down and bought this. Thought I was doing okay, I had electricity and shit. Then my batteries got rained on and exploded and burned down most of my colony.

There were only two survivors, and one of them is missing a leg, but they soldier on, fueled by the corpses of the fallen.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I sent some people out on a caravan not giving it too much thought. Turns out they were my only fire fighters. A boomrat got pissed and I killed him right in the middle of my settlement which was mostly made out of wood. RIP settlement.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm having a hard time really getting off the ground. Playing on the normal/default difficulty settings I usually do okay for about a single season, but once the sieges start showing up I usually crumble. I just don't have enough people to fight off groups of 5+ dudes with grenades/molotovs/mortors, much less guns to equip on them.

Ran about 5 settlements now on the default one and they seem to usually get wiped out right around the same part. I tried lowing to the base builder difficulty but that just feels boring? Events are so rare that you mostly just sit there watching your dudes farm with nothing happening.

Also any start by normal forest seems like doom? I tried a jungle start thinking farming would be great year round but my whole team died to heat stroke the first summer when a heat wave hit, not to mention everyone having muscle parasites for some reason. No idea what you even do in the arctic type starts.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Motherfucker, like 2 days in to summer and it's a flash storm directly on my base. This goddamn game man.

FF3FDBE4952CA044DD7D744C1DEDB715F704153C.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Generally "rough" difficulty is considered standard difficultly according to most. That is what I generally play on at least.

One tip that helped me was to try and not be so hyper focused on research super early on. If you start with the 3 person crew it is really hard to get your colony off the ground if one person is dedicated to just standing at a table all day. Usually I try and make sure someone is high enough in growing off the bat to plant Healrot, everyone is competent in mindless labor (hauling, cleaning), someone is double flame for Research, I have a decent social for Warden and everyone can chip in with Construction. From there what I research kind of diverts based upon what else I've got. If you have a good crafter and decent shooters going quickly for Smithing/Elec Smithing is nice to pump out some assault rilfes and kevlar so you can take on massive waves. If not I try and get Geothermal and turrets and set up a better defense than I'd require with a well armed crew. Other than that just make sure your people are relatively happy by making sure they are doing tasks they have joy associated with (flame/double flame stuff) and making sure their rooms are isolated and nice.

At the start I generally make a 9x9 room, 4 beds and a research table. I plant a large swath of rice, a smaller area of cotton, a smaller area of healrot and a medium area of corn. I then build a larger, longer room once I get myself settled which contains a refrigerator area for food, a long table, dining chairs and electricity attached to it. This is where I put my electric stove (right next to fridge) and make sure the fridge is near my planting area for easy transport once harvest comes. Once I research microelectronics I'll put the advanced research bench there and I also put most of my production stuff in here. I'm not 100% sure that is optimal or not. Once I have that structure set up and most of the tasks out of the way I then build a long/large structure for individual rooms with double beds for each resident. Make sure they're a decent size so they're happy to sleep there. Make sure some people are actively cleaning and hauling. Often times there are some abandoned areas near by you can claim to make your prison. If not just make your own and move all the single beds you no longer need in there. Recruit easy to recruit people and sell harder to recruit people.