Rimworld

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm happy with waiting till there is new content, especially now I've embraced mods.

khorum

Murder Apologist
So is there ever a penalty for selling prisoners to slavers? I've been able to recruit like 2 of dozens of prisoners ive taken and just the time spent trying to turn then and feeding them pretty much makes taking them worthless.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Prisoner recruitment can be rough yea. Need someone with huge social + very fancy prison rooms generally. There's also big penalties if they are part of like the pirate gangs or hostile tribes etc.

Realistically unless I have someone with like a 12+ in social I usually don't try, I just harvest organs from them until they die.

And yes selling people to slavers is a pretty big morale penalty for everyone that isn't a psychopath or whatever.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Prisoner recruitment can be rough yea. Need someone with huge social + very fancy prison rooms generally. There's also big penalties if they are part of like the pirate gangs or hostile tribes etc.

Realistically unless I have someone with like a 12+ in social I usually don't try, I just harvest organs from them until they die.

And yes selling people to slavers is a pretty big morale penalty for everyone that isn't a psychopath or whatever.
So is harvesting organs from prisoners as well unless you mod it or are a Psychopath hahaha.

Having a dedicated Warden with high Social skill for your colony is very valuable in general. They double as your trader too allowing for some better prices when selling or buying goods. Setting someone to chat socially or attempt to recruit a prisoner (with a low % success) can be a way to train their Social up as long as you can afford to feed a dude who doesn't produce anything. Setting a prisoner to Release gets them out of your hair without any morale penalty and will slightly boost your relationship to the faction they belong to.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I've found that chopping people up for parts can be done if you bury the hospital deep inside a mountain or otherwise far away from your main colony.

Send the doctor out by himself while everyone is asleep to do the business and you can cheat past most of it if it's far enough away.

Now I need to find my screenshots of my creepy doctor painting giant murals of him "erotically" harvesting organs from prisoners.

Also organs are so valuable it's generally worth it to chop up prisoners even if you eat the morale penalty. If you can get like a kidney + lung + heart out of a prisoner that's a few thousand silver worth of trade right there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Finding ways to commit atrocities without it upsetting your colonists is what makes Rimworld great.

• 2Like

Gorestabb

Is anyone else having huge problems with friendly fire? In half my encounters I get worse injuries from friendly fire than I do the enemies. Has anyone found a way to avoid it or even mod it out until it's thought out properly?

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Is anyone else having huge problems with friendly fire? In half my encounters I get worse injuries from friendly fire than I do the enemies. Has anyone found a way to avoid it or even mod it out until it's thought out properly?
Keep your shooters clumped together. I think if you're within 3 tiles of another pawn when shooting your chances of hitting them are very low or even nil. The minigun is an exception to this rule though so be careful if you use one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gorestabb

Thanks I'll give that a go, my current firing squad killbox is a complete failure as at least one enemy charges my line and then my guys all shoot each other.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I've found that chopping people up for parts can be done if you bury the hospital deep inside a mountain or otherwise far away from your main colony.

Send the doctor out by himself while everyone is asleep to do the business and you can cheat past most of it if it's far enough away.

Now I need to find my screenshots of my creepy doctor painting giant murals of him "erotically" harvesting organs from prisoners.

Also organs are so valuable it's generally worth it to chop up prisoners even if you eat the morale penalty. If you can get like a kidney + lung + heart out of a prisoner that's a few thousand silver worth of trade right there.

How far away would the liver shack need to be?

So I'd have to concentrate my prison cells in a distant camp with a resident doctor experimenting on the prisoners? A Camp for Concentration if you will?

• 2Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That's the idea yea. I'm not actually sure what the cutoff on the radius is, but I don't think that's the only factor either. Having the doctor do it while everyone else was asleep seems to play an important role too.

I'm at work but I can dig around and see if I had a screenshot of it anywhere, but it was basically a small cluster of like 4 prison cells, a hospital room, and a small storage room for food paste to feed them with while they awaited butchery.

That colony was so great.

khorum

Murder Apologist
How do I avoid cave-ins while mining? Just had to abandon a decent playthrough after losing a couple key folks to a cave collapse. Just roof it or what?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Mine it like a real mineshaft; you have to leave supporting columns in place and can't just clear-cut gigantic empty caverns.

You can build artificial supports via walls as well too if you need to reshape an interior for rooms etc.

• 1Like

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
How do I avoid cave-ins while mining? Just had to abandon a decent playthrough after losing a couple key folks to a cave collapse. Just roof it or what?
Roof for caves or man-made roofs can only extend 6 tiles without a supporting wall. Mine like ronne said using shafts and you'll be safe.

This mod lets you make "stamps" using the plan tool that shows how much roof a single tile would support: [A16] Roof Support Tool (Formerly Roof Support Guides)

This mod let you build little roof support tiles that hold up a roof like walls do but don't impede movement nor provide cover: Steam Workshop :: Roof Support A16

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Just started the vanilla game, prolly wont be trying mods for a while.

I haven't even tried visitting other settlements yet. Is there a rule of thumb for doing that with caravans, etc?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm like 60 hours in the game and have never even tried to make a caravan lol.

• 1Like