Riot Games MMO

Nate

Molten Core Raider
You'd have to be utterly out of touch with the history of MMOs and its lineage of successively shittier games over the past two decades to think this won't be anything but more derivative garbage to pile atop the trash heap of the genre.
Ok boomer

• 2Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I only familiar with Riot through Legends of Runeterra which I consider to be the best Card Game right now with wonderful support.

I expect a fairly generic MMO with solid design and quality content if I go by their other games.

As someone mentioned, at worse it will be worth a playthrough I think.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
An MMO would be a much different experience than all their other games as you won't be piloting any of their Champions. So really depends how watered down the experience is.

I would check it out since the LoL universe is pretty cool, but I think I'm past my MMO days, and playing as an avg joe doesn't appeal to me.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
What kind of mmo do the Chinese play? Because they will probably be the target demographic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think China actually has pretty strict "anti gambling p2w" laws. I remember hearing that even the weekly loot boxes in WoW were different in China because of those laws.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think China actually has pretty strict "anti gambling p2w" laws. I remember hearing that even the weekly loot boxes in WoW were different in China because of those laws.
I'm sure they do. However the Asians as a people are like the most compulsive gamblers in humanity. There's always ways to gamble without gambling. It's why Japan invented Pachinko.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is great news.

Riot have found themselves with the same scrooge mcduck levels of microtransactions money Blizzard got. Where Blizzard rested on their laurels and paid out to shareholders, Riot have invested in their IP and game catalouge.

League of Legends is a simple esport title but they put a lot of effort into free to play microtransations with the character design, lore and costumes. The mobile version just released is extremely polished.

Legends of Runeterra is just better than Hearthstone and Magic: The Gathering.

Teamfight Tactics I didn't like because of the UI and the use of futuristic alt costumes which didn't really make it clear which class each unit belonged to.

So I'm excited about their MMO, however Ghostcrawler being invovled is a worry.

• 1Like

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
None of their other recent games have been designed for the Asian market specifically, so I don't know why people have that expectation for the MMO.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I think it's got some interesting protentional going for the idea. Seems like they've made a career out of taking game-types and putting a sort of improvement/original take on it. Moba, TCG, Autochess, FPS, and at some point a fighting game and a/rpg? I quit LoL years ago(top laner overhaul), but iirc they were also doing a story overhaul at some point and Marvel comics got involved to help flesh it out with supposed comics in the works.

I just know there are quite a few factions in the lore, some obviously intertwine with each other and others more than likely unplayable but my guess is they're gonna rip Warhammer Online's original concept before it released. I'm just wondering if they'll keep to the trend of f2p and market the mtx or mix up with some sort of optional sub with perks. They'll be playing ball with MTG, and presumably wow/ffxiv are not dying anytime soon.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think it's got some interesting protentional going for the idea. Seems like they've made a career out of taking game-types and putting a sort of improvement/original take on it. Moba, TCG, Autochess, FPS, and at some point a fighting game and a/rpg? I quit LoL years ago(top laner overhaul), but iirc they were also doing a story overhaul at some point and Marvel comics got involved to help flesh it out with supposed comics in the works.

I just know there are quite a few factions in the lore, some obviously intertwine with each other and others more than likely unplayable but my guess is they're gonna rip Warhammer Online's original concept before it released. I'm just wondering if they'll keep to the trend of f2p and market the mtx or mix up with some sort of optional sub with perks. They'll be playing ball with MTG, and presumably wow/ffxiv are not dying anytime soon.
All the factions now seem fleshed now out as it's a game mechanic in Legends of Runeterra that your deck can only have cards from two factions.

Don't know if they fit into two larger alliances like in WoW though, they don't seem to. Would be cool if you could get rep with each faction individually, some always being open and some being closed until they like you and some being mutually exclusive.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
I'm interested since I assume based on all their other games this would have a heavy emphasis on PvP and they have Riot money.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
It's no coincidence that all MMOs with a design focus on PvP have been shit MMOs, and I say this as someone with no interest in PvE-only games.

• 1Solidarity

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
It's no coincidence that all MMOs with a design focus on PvP have been shit MMOs, and I say this as someone with no interest in PvE-only games.

For the love of fuck, just separate the rule sets between PvP and PvE. They all try to balance around both and end up with a miserable failure of a game.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Well that's just a cop-out. They can't segregate these concepts and still have an MMO with a consistent shared world.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well that's just a cop-out. They can't segregate these concepts and still have an MMO with a consistent shared world.

I think he means do it the way EQ did it and have separate servers with different rulesets

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think it's got some interesting protentional going for the idea. Seems like they've made a career out of taking game-types and putting a sort of improvement/original take on it. Moba, TCG, Autochess, FPS, and at some point a fighting game and a/rpg?
Another company used to do this, Hrmm...

• 1Like