Riot Games MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

Obviously nothing official, and probably just shitposting. Interestingly though, I watched a show with Marc Merrill recently and he spoke about being an EverQuest PvPer (his name Tryndamere actually comes from his Barbarian he played in EverQuest). It's hard for me to imagine an oldschool EverQuest player in his position not try to make their own MMO. It's also hard to imagine that Riot Games has 2500 employees and aren't working on some other huge projects.

They've also been doing a HUGE push to expand the League of Legends lore in the last year or two. You can see in his tweet that today they launched a pretty detailed map of the world (Map of Runeterra - Universe - League of Legends). Not that people don't care about LoL's lore at all, but it's obviously not a genre where lore really matters all that much. But, it definitely becomes more important if they're planning on using it to springboard into future games. Maybe the huge push for lore is to help lead into a new title? Maybe an MMO?

Last year Merrill and Beck announced they were stepping back from League of Legends to focus on "finally put[ting] the 'S' in Riot Games".

For anyone that wants, here's the podcast (he talks about EverQuest about 4 minutes in):

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I imagine the resident spectral crustacean would have some profound insights into MMO development.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
On the plus side, at least WoW's been changed to the point where no one would notice only having 4-6 buttons. So it'd be a pretty smooth transition.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That map thing is cool. I am all about that Zaun. Haven't played League in years.

But boy do I love steampunk.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I feel it'd be more like Diablo 4. As in, ARPG, pseudo mmo(large mmo towns but instanced content for virtually everything, maybe raids like marvel). The Diablo style would mesh well with LoL fanbase I think, top down view, can keep the low amount of skills(add some more), itemization more complex but similar to the actual game.

Riot has been more or less thinking about mmos for 10years though, so don't expect much until they actually announce something. Especially since if they've not done it yet, it's cause they don't think it's profitable. But I guess with the drought of mmos these past years and going for the next few years, there's some room to make money probably. Lots of people play their own mmos already(wow, GW2, FFXIV, Black Desert and such) but if a new big mmo was released, people would be willing to try it out.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The map is so laggy on my PC and Tablet, no sure why. Figured PC would be smooth as butter but was slow as hell.

But yea, a League MMO would be amazing and they've been re-tuning all of the lore, streamlining it, I imagine an MMO is more likely to happen than not at this point.

In terms of style, the League Style is less cartoony than WoW imo, I love the League art - my avatar image has been Diana from League for years now.

A League MMO would be a hit for sure. Very popular IP turned into MMO, similar to how WoW was born. League has 9 years of being THE top video game (revenue) and streamed. It would be insanely popular.

Question is would it be mostly PvE, would it have PvP (Marc Merrill played on a PvP server).
I would hope it would be more open world MMO and not an ARPG.

We can already play as the heroes in League... the MMO should put the heroes as AI and bosses
an ARPG would probably allow you to play as the heroes again, just like LoL, which would be boring imo... the characters would be compared too much to League and lots of complaining if not all 120+ are in at release.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Obviously nothing official, and probably just shitposting. Interestingly though, I watched a show with Marc Merrill recently and he spoke about being an EverQuest PvPer (his name Tryndamere actually comes from his Barbarian he played in EverQuest). It's hard for me to imagine an oldschool EverQuest player in his position not try to make their own MMO. It's also hard to imagine that Riot Games has 2500 employees and aren't working on some other huge projects.

They've also been doing a HUGE push to expand the League of Legends lore in the last year or two. You can see in his tweet that today they launched a pretty detailed map of the world (Map of Runeterra - Universe - League of Legends). Not that people don't care about LoL's lore at all, but it's obviously not a genre where lore really matters all that much. But, it definitely becomes more important if they're planning on using it to springboard into future games. Maybe the huge push for lore is to help lead into a new title? Maybe an MMO?

Last year Merrill and Beck announced they were stepping back from League of Legends to focus on "finally put[ting] the 'S' in Riot Games".

For anyone that wants, here's the podcast (he talks about EverQuest about 4 minutes in):

Been listening to the interview and he starts talking about EQ again at 1:05:
Sounds like he loves the PvP / Territorial Combat, etc. Could be a hint if a League MMO comes what we might expect. Maybe a Guildwars or DAOC style MMO?

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I am on the fence on this. Need more information on what their MMO would be. Is it going to be a WoW clone or something new that takes some risks?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Just got toward the tail end of the interview and he starts talking about MMO philosophy stuff. You can tell he's holding stuff back:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Tryndamere used to post on FoH, played EQ, etc. He told his story on the Discord server, the gimmick one-month open PvP perma death server from a few years past. His strategy was to log on, kill a couple people (you earned points that were tracked as part of a competition), and log off. Fairly shitlordly (and effective).

The kind of MMO that he might like to see get made may very well be something we also really like. Having an excellent license to start with a la Warcraft to World of Warcraft is a big help. League of Legends is also competing for eyes and players with super popular shooters and hero shooters as well as card games and the rest of vidya so there's definitely incentive to expand the franchise while it's hot. There's some talk that League is in decline in terms of Twitch views and its playerbase. Making a new game is really the best option.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
League of Legends MMO: If you say the people in your dungeon/raid group suck you get banned for being a meanie.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That dude denied that Riot is making an MMO now.

Which guarantees that they are making an MMO amirite?

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I think a League MMO could work honestly. It could actually be a pretty compelling world.

• 1WTF
  • 1Seriously?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"You've fought with Legends, but Legends don't start on the rift..."