RIP Brad McQuaid

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Do not let me down.

Here rests Secrets. The person who killed EQmac.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
  • 10Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Only thing I've heard is he was sitting on the couch sorting new Magic cards and collapsed. I'm sure more information will be made available at some point.

• 9Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 9 users

Vinen

God is dead
Only thing I've heard is he was sitting on the couch sorting new Magic cards and collapsed. I'm sure more information will be made available at some point.

Read this as snorting new Magic Cards. I cracked a 20+ year old box and boy did the ink smell good.

//attempted joke off

Still depresses me that he is gone. My son is getting to the age that I don't need to watch him 24/7 so I was looking forward to a new MMO. I can only hope someone will pickup after him.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>

That’s crazy.

MI, Stroke, Pulmonary Embolism, Aortic Aneurysm at the top of my list but hard to say.

I don’t know his history of drug abuse or if it was a factor, but some drugs do contribute to blood clots and he was awfully young. Not trying to throw shade, but I’d be suspicious of anyone dying suddenly at rest without some other contributing factor, which could also just be an unknown genetic condition.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That’s crazy.

MI, Stroke, Pulmonary Embolism, Aortic Aneurysm at the top of my list but hard to say.

I don’t know his history of drug abuse or if it was a factor, but some drugs do contribute to blood clots and he was awfully young. Not trying to throw shade, but I’d be suspicious of anyone dying suddenly at rest without some other contributing factor, which could also just be an unknown genetic condition.

Syncope event preceded by cardiac arrhythmia, V-Fib in this case. V-Fib resulting in cardiac arrest. I'd need more info on the resuscitation attempt though, the house and then the hospital. Details of that would rule a lot of things out without needing the autopsy.

Would jive with prior history of substance use. But anything you listed is possible without knowing more.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Anecdotally Luke Perry and John Singleton both died from stroke and are around the same age. I am only a few months older than Brad and have liver disease. RIP Gen X :(

• 3Solidarity

Oldbased

> Than U
That’s crazy.

When I had my PEs it was actually the 3rd time in 2 months. I just had no idea it was PEs the morning I woke up fine and rolled over and started to feel faint I stuck a pulse oximeter on my finger and it read 82. Took me a hour to sit up and get clothing on. I still had no idea why or what was wrong as I had never had it happen. When I got to the hospital finally and they did the chemical injection and stuck me in front of a scanner machine they said my lungs lit up like a starmap of tiny clots. 13 bigger pieces of one major clot that had broken up in my leg and traveled into both lungs. Now I know what to look for, I didn't then. They didn't think I would survive the night. It kills most people outright. Happen at 42. My brother fell over dead while talking on a cell phone at 41 years earlier. Both of us were VERY active in construction and had no history. From my perspective 40's/50s is a very dangerous time for men. Those that survive get treatment and go on to live longer, the unlucky ones never get a chance.

In my case, the clot happened because my heart had weakened on the right side and I was not aware.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
In my case, the clot happened because my heart had weakened on the right side and I was not aware.

In my 30's with every male in my family having a heart attack in their 40's. Shit is terrifying, hope you're doing better man.

Oldbased

> Than U
In my 30's with every male in my family having a heart attack in their 40's. Shit is terrifying, hope you're doing better man.
Doing good in some ways, horrible in others. I think now my heart is probably my best condition. Sadly many others have developed due to the health stuff but I am alive and thankful for that everyday even the bad ones.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Syncope event preceded by cardiac arrhythmia, V-Fib in this case. V-Fib resulting in cardiac arrest. I'd need more info on the resuscitation attempt though, the house and then the hospital. Details of that would rule a lot of things out without needing the autopsy.

Would jive with prior history of substance use. But anything you listed is possible without knowing more.

It's not a syncope if he never regains conciousness.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
E Elidroth Have you seen that the old Aradune is Stinky grafiti was marked over on the official EQ servers? Now it says Elidroth is Stinky.

1575833399108.png

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
I downloaded EQ again today for the sole purpose of seeing Brad’s memorial. He created something that truly changed my youth and has influenced a lot of my adult life. People can never believe how fast I touch type, they have no idea how quickly you learn that shit when tanks are dropping like flies and the CH chain has to adapt!

I’ve not felt the desire to log in for years so it felt fitting to camp out for the last time next to the creator. I hope his bind spot wasn’t too far away!

BBCE9F33-E3F1-4305-9AF5-EDB9DD1904A7.jpeg

• 27Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 27 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The guy had a vision for the world that he wanted to build and he lived to see that vision become a reality. In that way, he was a very lucky man. Moreover, the realization of his vision became an enduring legacy that has provided joy and entertainment for hundreds of thousands of people over a span of more than 20 years. How many of us can say we brought something that positive into the world?

I only worked with Brad briefly, but my recollection of him had far less to do with his genius and far more to do with his warmth and generosity. He was open and receptive, and he was willing to give anyone the time of day. I never got the arrogant vibes from him that I got from a lot of others in that industry. He was a good guy, and the world- not just the gaming world- is a poorer place without him.

• 10Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Heart attack while sorting Magic cards is how I expect about a third of my EQ friends to go, so makes sense.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Brad actually bought Magic cards from my friends shop before he passed, it was a play set of Foil Flings.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm

V-fib is cardiac arrest.

That's all speculation. It's not a syncopal episode if he didn't wake up. He died, lol.

With no info I suspect
1) Overdose
2) MI

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm sticking with V-fib from gross cocaine and general narcotic abuse/ detoxification/ withdrawal.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Man if you OD or whatever while pouring over some Magic cards... I guess that's a pretty good way to go for a lifelong nerd of the highest order?

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf