RIP Brad McQuaid

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I found this...

Visionary Realms director of communications Benjamin Dean paid tribute in a post on Pantheon MMO’s official forum. Dean described McQuaid as “a visionary, a mentor, an artist, a trailblazer, a friend, a husband, a father.” Dean added that McQuaid had sadly passed away at his home. Dean also said that McQuaid had “changed the landscape of video games forever.”

Here ... Brad McQuaid Dies: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know (second to the last paragraph)

Not sure how accurate it is though.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I downloaded EQ again today for the sole purpose of seeing Brad’s memorial. He created something that truly changed my youth and has influenced a lot of my adult life. People can never believe how fast I touch type, they have no idea how quickly you learn that shit when tanks are dropping like flies and the CH chain has to adapt!

I’ve not felt the desire to log in for years so it felt fitting to camp out for the last time next to the creator. I hope his bind spot wasn’t too far away!

View attachment 236841

I'm not crying. You are fucking crying.

RIP, Aradune. Logging into EQ for the first time remains the best memory of video games in my life. And that game is in my top 3 of all time. And definitely most hours spent!

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sudden death while sorting magic cards, in order of likelihood, for a 51 y/o male -
1. Overdose
2. Overdose
3. Overdose
4. Massive heart attack
5. Cardiac arrhythmia assuming some pre existing condition (or could be related to OD)
6. Brain hemorrhage (such as from ruptured aneurysm, which also could be OD related esp cocaine)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
That's weird. I had not seen that..
I remember seeing this years ago. I don't think its recent. I want to say it was there during the Combine launch but I'm pulling that from memory (last time I did a Q start on TLP?)

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Graphical changes to zones slipped in would be most likely to have come in with por, which incidentally does coincide with combine server for timing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Well, at least he went doing something he was interested in. Many people die in terrible ways. Old folks homes, car wrecks, drowning. Going while sorting some Magic cards isn't a bad way to go.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Well, at least he went doing something he was interested in. Many people die in terrible ways. Old folks homes, car wrecks, drowning. Going while sorting some Magic cards isn't a bad way to go.
giphy.gif

Magic cards. Either way, you're probably right.

• 1Worf

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can't find anything online. Kind of weird that you couldn't find an official report isn't it?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Can't find anything online. Kind of weird that you couldn't find an official report isn't it?

Not really? I don’t think causes of death are announced to the public very often. I can’t find causes of death on any of my family members and I have direct links to their death announcements or whatever they are called.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Only people I've seen they announce COD for are famous, probably hear something eventually I'm sure things will be talked about at that memorial they have planned, wait and see I guess.

• 1Like

Goatface

you can get the death certificate which is public record, but has limited CoD info. if they were rich/famous the hospital will go into more detail. For most people that will be the limit of public info, unless they suspect something criminal

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
How he died is really kind of immaterial at this point.

Regardless of his personal demons (we all have them), he was a good guy. A friend. Brad gave me my shot in the industry, and for better than a decade, I got the chance to be doing something I truly loved. I'll ALWAYS be grateful for that. I'm sad that my friend is gone. I'm sad that I can't be home to attend the service today. I'm sad I can't be there for Brad's family, whom are under a burden I'd never wish upon anyone.

• 19Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 20 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Only people I've seen they announce COD for are famous, probably hear something eventually I'm sure things will be talked about at that memorial they have planned, wait and see I guess.

Then god damn it, we need to get out there! Start saying that Brad was a gaming god. In other words, start lying to everybody in order for them to release his cause of death.

• 2Worf

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
How he died is really kind of immaterial at this point.

Regardless of his personal demons (we all have them), he was a good guy. A friend. Brad gave me my shot in the industry, and for better than a decade, I got the chance to be doing something I truly loved. I'll ALWAYS be grateful for that. I'm sad that my friend is gone. I'm sad that I can't be home to attend the service today. I'm sad I can't be there for Brad's family, whom are under a burden I'd never wish upon anyone.

It’s not.

It may be easy to think of it as rubbernecking and maybe it is for some people.

For other people it’s closure. For other people it’s understanding. Hiding suicide/depression/abuse (and I’m NOT saying it is) only furthers the stigma.

Bringing it to light normalizes the fact that, like you said, everyone has demons. If a game geek can have them, maybe it’s not weird that I have them too.

Sorry for your loss, I think as much as people joke, I’d love to have made the impact Brad made on that many people.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shit I just want some finality so we can get to makin spicy memes.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Not really? I don’t think causes of death are announced to the public very often. I can’t find causes of death on any of my family members and I have direct links to their death announcements or whatever they are called.

Obituaries? Obits are created by the family usually, so they have full control over what goes into it, so you very rarely see them give an indication of what caused the death beyond general terms like "illness" or whatever.

you can get the death certificate which is public record, but has limited CoD info. if they were rich/famous the hospital will go into more detail. For most people that will be the limit of public info, unless they suspect something criminal

Depends on the state. Who can request a death cert (or any vital record for that matter), and what level of detail in a death certificate, is typically defined on a state by state basis. Certain classifications of family member or governmental/legal entities are usually the most common allowable classifications of approved individuals to request a person's DC. Brad lived in Cali, right? Pretty sure in memory serves the authorized copies are limited to family/funeral homes for the most part. In your celeb example, hospitals won't release shit because they are usually governed by HIPAA, since that is still protected health information.

If the death was unattended, then typically a coroner is going to have to take the case by law in the state. Depending on the county/state, there can sometimes be a backlog due to toxicology testing if the coroner/ME is requesting that to be done (in a lot of cases, they defer finalizing the cause/manner of death until they get tox results back). Alcohol testing is easy to conduct, the drug testing is usually what holds everything up since they have to test for a whole laundry list of substances, both legal and illegal (especially if they have to use a state lab or some company like NMS Labs that handles requests across the country).

Causes of death are also "tiered" on some death certs. Sometimes the family will just disclose the first tier, which might be something super generic like "cardiac arrest" or "respiratory arrest". All that means is the heart stopped or breathing stopped...which is technically how all people die. It's the other causes tiered under that which usually give you more information on what actually contributed to the death. If a death certificate literally only had cardiac arrest or respiratory arrest as the only cause of death, that basically means the coroner/medical examiner has no clue how/why the person died, but if they can list a manner of death (natural, accident, suicide, homicide, undetermined), they've been able to at least rule out certain things. Except undetermined obviously lol

• 1Like

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Man, I have not been here in quite awhile so this is the first I have heard of this. RIP Brad, I had so many years of fun in your game and will never forget my first time logging in and amazed by all the people running around. EQ was an experience that was never matched by any other game I had played.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Jesus fucking Christ! I take a brief hiatus from the message boards, and Aradune is dead? This is awful news (I know I'm late to the party). EQ impacted my life in just a profound and meaningful way, I can't even describe it. I guess it was kinda like Woodstock: you were either there to experience it, or you weren't. For me, being in Norrath since day 1 was an integral part of my life, and the fondest of memories that I will cherish always. RIP, brother.

• 7Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users