RIP Brad McQuaid

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
For real even Vanguard, many of us spent years in VG thanks to him.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow,

That sucks. 51 is kind of young in this day and age to die.

It is hard to believe that 20 years ago I was playing a game that took a lot of my time then, and remains as one of my all time favorites now. Everquest has been the only game where I felt justified sitting for 10 hours at a time, camping one spot, killing the same mob types, while constantly finding replacement players to fill out the group. All of this for a chance at one piece of gear. It is easily the only game that took me through an entire weekend with almost no sleep because we needed help recovering our corpses in the Plane of Fear. No game has had the same level of addiction for me like Everquest had. Other games tried but there was something about the design of Everquest that made a person feel like they were part of a world. That was the idea. Many players bitched about the difficulty of the game but it was the difficulty that made the memory.

So long Brad Mcquaid and thanks for all the fish.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Hey Admin Admin can we actually use some of the funds from this forum to send an arrangement to his funeral? Nothing terribly extravagant, but something tasteful. I think that would be appropriate, and I'm happy to make it happen if need be.

• 32Like
Reactions: 31 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
From their IG. Updated Aradune.
View attachment 232265

I gave Brad as much shit behind his back as I would have given him to his face if I had ever met him.

Earth would probably be a better place to live if Brad had been given the freedom and resources to build a better virtual world, and the managment oversight needed to keep The Vision grounded in reality.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
message of the day.
EQ000045.jpg

• 10Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Hey Admin Admin can we actually use some of the funds from this forum to send an arrangement to his funeral? Nothing terribly extravagant, but something tasteful. I think that would be appropriate, and I'm happy to make it happen if need be.

I was thinking about this after @a_skeleton_02 mentioned it in the amod thread, but I've been preoccupied today.

I'm also not sure how such a gift would be received. "Hey, you remember that internet forum where people posted memes about the deceased's coke habit and unethical activity for 20 years? Here's some flowers from them, RIP."

I mean, I'd be happy to do it, but what would be the impact on the family? It just seems a little weird to me.
That said I'm willing to be swayed...

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I was thinking about this after @a_skeleton_02 mentioned it in the amod thread, but I've been preoccupied today.

I'm also not sure how such a gift would be received. "Hey, you remember that internet forum where people posted memes about the deceased's coke habit and unethical activity for 20 years? Here's some flowers from them, RIP."

I mean, I'd be happy to do it, but what would be the impact on the family? It just seems a little weird to me.
Just make it anonymous

• 2Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Just make it anonymous

A couple of responses:
1. the family likely won't know the history with this forum.
2. Don't make it anonymous.

I think a tasteful arrangement with a simple note of condolences would be well received. There will likely be many such responses from various groups. And there will be a few people there who might take the time to look at who the flowers came from, and I'm willing to bet there will be more than a few smiles when they see they came from us.

I might be wrong, but those are my thoughts.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>

The family won't know and it's a forum not a singular person they can understand that a forum is filled with many people.

Also I'd keep my ear to the ground to see if the family does a "in lieu of flowers" to a charity or something.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

some ideas

The-Wire-funeral-home.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider

Well wishes and condolences are rarely poorly received.

One reply to Utnayan's post.

His skin wasn't as thick as he showed.. He knew his failings, but they really gutted him deeply. The chatter didn't hurt so much as the self-realization of failure. And it wasn't the failure of the game that hurt him so much as the failure that let down 120+ people he truly considered family (Vanguard team). That hurt him most of all.

He wasn't perfect. He got caught up in his own press. He made mistakes. Some he repeated over and over. But deep down he was just a guy that loved making games.

Don't deify him, but respect the dead, and stop shitting on him.

Oh, and he TRULY respected the passion here for gaming, even when he got ripped apart for dumb ideas. FOH was absolutely a place he'd read a lot. Once you filter through the noise, there are a lot of people here who know what they're talking about.. He understood that.. He loved that. He loved that he wasn't alone in that passion.

I'm not trying to White Knight Brad here.. But he WAS someone i considered a good friend. And it hurts that he's gone.

• 39Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 41 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Did the person die on a dirt bike?

Flower arrangements are generally about something they love, not how they died. That does make me want to see some flower arrangements in the shape of syringes and car wrecks though.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Guess I'll ask for flowers shaped like hookers and blow. Everyone loves hookers and blow.