RIP George HW Bush @94

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Desert Storm happened the last year I lived in Waco, TX, and after 10 years of not having a television, my grandmother had given us one with a minimum subscription to cable. I remember sitting at home, glued to CNN just to see more videos of F-15's. They had the same 2 hour broadcast airing on repeat, and I watched through is several times. That same year they had the Super Mario TV show that I'd wake up at 6am on Saturday to watch.... it was a pretty good year.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
RIP to a great mass murderer.

The Highway of Death | Amusing Planet

bush.png

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm sure when the Iraqi army invaded Kuwait they weren't going to hurt anyone.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Bush took a lot of heat for the highway of death. Not for killing too many but at the time I remember reading and hearing at the time that it was him that stepped in from backlash on TV (CNN at the time) and ordered it stopped. I think they gave them X number of hours to get out if I remember correctly. He took some heat for backing off and letting some escape when they started the entire thing.

Yes I'm old. He fought the wimp factor in the election and afterwards and now he gets kickback for killing too many. Pick one. I think it might have been Brent Scowcroft's book that I read that mentioned it. Been a while. He was the national security advisor under Bush and he wrote a book.

Highway of Death - Wikipedia
The scenes of devastation on the road are some of the most recognizable images of the war, and it has been suggested that they were a factor in President George H. W. Bush's decision to declare a cessation of hostilities the next day.

I remember going to the college world series and they had a little plaque commemerating that Bush played in the first college world series. They play in a new stadium in Omaha now so it's probably gone.

He gave a talk to the Sons of the Republic of TX I attended, but I did not meet him personally.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Flight

Molten Core Raider
You're not supposed to kill the enemy during war?

I was there at the front, saw it with my own eyes. What you read about it and the pictures you see are misleading.

The devastation went on for mile after mile. What I saw wasn't mostly military vehicles - there were many thousands of civilians including women and children. Kuwait wasn't this enlightened society, like most of the Middle East it was a messed up place where large numbers of the population were oppressed. They didn't want things back the way they were so they were heading to Iraq.

It was a slaughter of tens of thousands of people in direct contravention of the Geneva Convention. There was only one road going north into Iraq - first they bombed the far end then they bombed the tail. Then they sent in wave after wave after wave of Apaches and Cobras.

Shit goes down in war and people die. You have to accept that. But this was different. It made Bush a war criminal on a massive scale. It is why the war was cut short and we didn't push into Iraq the first time around.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
It was a slaughter of tens of thousands of people in direct contravention of the Geneva Convention.
A 2003 study by the Project on Defense Alternatives (PDA) estimated fewer than 10,000 people rode in the cut-off main caravan; and when the bombing started most simply left their vehicles to escape through the desert or into the nearby swamps where some died from their wounds and some were later taken prisoner. According to PDA, the often repeated low estimate of the numbers killed in the attack is 200–300 reported by journalist Michael Kelly (who personally counted 37 bodies), but a minimum death toll of at least 500–600 seems more plausible.[8]

iannis

Musty Nester
I was there at the front, saw it with my own eyes. What you read about it and the pictures you see are misleading.

The devastation went on for mile after mile. What I saw wasn't mostly military vehicles - there were many thousands of civilians including women and children. Kuwait wasn't this enlightened society, like most of the Middle East it was a messed up place where large numbers of the population were oppressed. They didn't want things back the way they were so they were heading to Iraq.

It was a slaughter of tens of thousands of people in direct contravention of the Geneva Convention. There was only one road going north into Iraq - first they bombed the far end then they bombed the tail. Then they sent in wave after wave after wave of Apaches and Cobras.

Shit goes down in war and people die. You have to accept that. But this was different. It made Bush a war criminal on a massive scale. It is why the war was cut short and we didn't push into Iraq the first time around.

I wasn't there. The official line is that the social tension of having a million of the US Military stationed within their country was becoming intolerable for the Saudi's, and so we were politely asked/sternly told to leave.

If there's truth in that, and I believe that there is, it would tend to shed a different light on getting in one final massacre before it happened. Because I doubt either one of us thinks that being asked to leave was an abrubt or unexpected decision. Bush, his staff, the King and his would have all known weeks beforehand that a breaking point was approaching politically.

What I don't know is the timeline. I wonder if that breaking point came about because of this bombing, or if this bombing was in reaction to it.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
You know it's because of the fake news cnn reporting of Desert Storm, that they are so prevalent today.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The special painted locomotive they've had for a while apparently that will haul the casket from Houston to the library in College station where he will be buried.

up4141schmollinger.jpg

Guess he used it at one time.

25gq5is.jpg