RIP Telltale Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
No shock really, their game quality really deteriorated to the point I don't think most people cared about buying anything of theirs at launch, at best wait till the game is actually done (episodic is NOT a good idea I think end of day from a $$ perspective) and for reviews.

They also must have paid out insane $$ for the licenses and seem super poorly managed, they had 310 employees or so before these layoffs and reached over 400 employees earlier this year. Thats a shit load of people to make games that should have been done with a studio 1/4th the size.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
400 employees? WHAT? Those "games" could have been made with 2 programmers, 2 graphic artists, and 1 writer.

200.gif

• 11Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 11 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They probably had 3 bluehair Commissars supervising each person doing actual work.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Not terribly surprising that they bit the big one, they were putting out more and more games that people were caring less and less about, with the increasingly dated engine and narrative formula that was becoming increasingly obvious. That being said, wow, they went from 60 to 0 in record time with this one, didn't they? No public hints of financial problems to precede this, just an immediate death knell.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
The 1st walking dead was great. The 2nd one was ok, but didn't bother with the series after the end of that one.

The game of thrones one got ultra retarded. I got to the point where I wanted that whole family to die.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just to be clear, they're doing more Stranger Things (TV Series), it's just their shitty "game" adaptation that gets cut?

• 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Worf

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Hopefully Purcell gets to retain Sam and Max, lot of good memories of the original Lucasarts game and would love to see another attempt at it. The Telltale version was enjoyable but sort of fell flat.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Seems as good a time as any to start eulogizing Telltale, so in that vein, here's a weird fucking bit of Telltale trivia I've got for you guys, that I think at least a few of you may appreciate. Some of you may recall that--in defiance of any common sense--Telltale made a narrative-driven game for Minecraft a ways back. What you probably don't recall is that one of the writers credited on that game is Michael Kirkbride.

For those of you for whom the name doesn't ring a bell, Michael Kirkbride used to work at Bethesda, up until some time after the release of Morrowind, and still does little bits of contract work for them now and then. You know all that really weird metaphysical Deep Lore that the Elder Scrolls games have? Kirkbride is pretty much responsible for all of it. CHIM and Zero-Summing, the Towers, the Godhead, Vivec being married to the Daedric Prince of Rape (and everything else from the 36 Lessons of Vivec), the dwarves turning themselves into the golden skin of a semi-divine golem, the Divine Crusader from the Oblivion DLC being a time-traveling robot from the future--all Kirkbride.

For some reason, the fact that the two things I know him for are writing that, and writing the "Patton Oswalt needs to win the building contest" arc in Minecraft, just tickles me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

one of the guys still there said the company isn't shutting down and 25 employees will continue work on something they will announce soon. But TWD is dead, episode 2 will be the last one of the game (i wonder if they will refund ppl?) and they are finishing some minecraft story game for netflix (da fuq)

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

one of the guys still there said the company isn't shutting down and 25 employees will continue work on something they will announce soon. But TWD is dead, episode 2 will be the last one of the game (i wonder if they will refund ppl?) and they are finishing some minecraft story game for netflix (da fuq)
This has gotta be the nail in the coffin for any episodic style games, especially if they stiff people.

• 1Like

flashr66

Blackwing Lair Raider
This has gotta be the nail in the coffin for any episodic style games, especially if they stiff people.

My kids love the walking dead stories of this. So I preordered the last season for them on psn. If this is canceled well they be refunding everyone? Or will be sony steam ECT be left to fix this mess.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They didn't diversify their games catalogue with anything remotely different or new, they had too many employees, and they made way too fucking many of the same types of games.

Better off dead. Put a bullet in its head so it doesn't get back up.

• 3Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
My kids love the walking dead stories of this. So I preordered the last season for them on psn. If this is canceled well they be refunding everyone? Or will be sony steam ECT be left to fix this mess.
Info's floating around that the people who got axed aren't getting severance. Based on that, I'm assuming that Telltale's not going to be letting go of any money they've currently got their hands on without a fight.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Well, that sucks. I ordered the last season of TWD. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

I mean, the entire series was going to shit. AJ shooting somebody in the head after a brief argument and then saying, "What? I aimed for the head?!?" Had me cringing like a motherfucker.

But, ya know, if you start a series, you might as well end it right?

That sucks.