Rise of the Tomb Raider

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I'm not having that issue, but I was continuing to have video card problems. One day I'll learn not to update to the latest drivers for new releases. I did a clean install for the previous driver (Dec 2015) and my crashes stopped happening (I have a 970).

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Very high textures apparently use more than 4GB of VRAM sometimes, so avoid for now unless you have a 6GB card. Can't believe that was intended so hopefully they have a patch for it soon.

YxxAn_sl

shitlord
Roll back the driver and do a clean install. Fixed all my crashing.
I tried that, but I am still getting the same crashes. Went from silky smooth the first four hours to pretty much unplayable with all the crashes once the game really opens up. Looks to be some Nvidia card and or driver issue. What card are you running?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Very high textures apparently use more than 4GB of VRAM sometimes, so avoid for now unless you have a 6GB card. Can't believe that was intended so hopefully they have a patch for it soon.
I haven't had a problem (yet) with very high textures on my 4gb card.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I tried that, but I am still getting the same crashes. Went from silky smooth the first four hours to pretty much unplayable with all the crashes once the game really opens up. Looks to be some Nvidia card and or driver issue. What card are you running?
Nvidia GTX 970

Vorph

I haven't had a problem (yet) with very high textures on my 4gb card.
You almost certainly will, since very high uses up to 5GB of VRAM while playing. From what I've read elsewhere, they intended very high to only be used by people running the game at 4K. It seems to be true, as I can rarely see any difference between high and very high at 1080p.

For anyone else who is having the stuttering problem, I started the game over because I wanted to play on Survival difficulty instead, get the one thing I missed in Syria, and actually watch the cutscenes that played so badly that I couldn't even see what was happening. Dropped textures to high and SMAA to FXAA and am now getting 60 fps with no drops at all when cutscenes start. A few cutscenes play at 30 fps, but given that it drops instantly and is still smooth I think that's by design (I believe it's the cutscenes that use Houdini to merge Bink video with in-engine rendering).

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
You almost certainly will, since very high uses up to 5GB of VRAM while playing.
Seems to be pretty stable for me at 3.5gb though I'm just wandering around the Siberian wilderness right now. I also turned off DOF, both Blurs and HBAO+. Everything else is at max.

Vorph

Do you also have a 970? It can only actually use 3.5GB out of its 4GB, so you'll never see it go above that. And if so, it's odd that you aren't already seeing stuttering happen since you're at the limit of what the card can address.

YxxAn_sl

shitlord
After playing with the graphic settings it looks like turning off AA helped. No crashes after that. My 780ti feels old :|

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
After playing with the graphic settings it looks like turning off AA helped. No crashes after that. My 780ti feels old :|
I tried turning off AA and Vsync and no crashes for me either. I turned AA back on but kept Vsync off and still no crashes so I guess it's a Vsync problem for me. Dota2 will rarely crash on me in the same way Tomb Raider does so I'd say it's my hardware and not the engine.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I've got a gtx970 and a 4590 and it is running great at 1080p 60fps. Everything is maxxed except Purehair is On instead of Very High, and texture quality is High and using FXAA. Once in a while dips in the 50's but it is very solid.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Game puts a hurt on my SLI 780s at 1440p but...
Just finished, everything was on point about this one. More of the same plus a lot more tombs and gorgeous settings. Made a hotkey for screenshots early on.
Really enjoyed the moments where stealth was effective.
'Survivor' difficulty is a must, enemies are a joke otherwise.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Played through the Baba Yaga DLC, enjoyed it.. interesting effects used, had some nice atmosphere.

Vorph

All the reviews of it say pretty much the same thing: good content, but way too short and the fact that a sizeable chunk of it is a fetch quest that takes place back in Russia comes across as cheap/lazy development. I'm probably going to pick up the season pass, since I want to play Baba Yaga despite all that, and I've also read very good things about the endurance mode.

'Survivor' difficulty is a must, enemies are a joke otherwise.
Survivor is a joke too really, but yeah, there's no reason to play on any other difficulty. Endurance mode sounds like what I expected a difficulty called "Survivor" to be, but I guess having cold actually matter would be a problem with the ridiculous amount of swimming Lara does in fucking Siberia during the main story.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I got probably 2 hours of play out of Baba Yaga.... I consider it worth $10 but it was short.

YxxAn_sl

shitlord
Baba Yaga felt really, really short. Like get 5 bear asses and a boss fight short. Last fight was fun, I would not call the DLC amazing, but eh... it's entertainment until XCOM2
smile.png