Robocop - Remake

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw it last weekend. Should have cut Samuel Jackson's part entirely. It completely destroyed the flow of the film and had WAY too much screen time.

6/10 for me.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not as good, or satirical, as the original, but fuck the haters. It was a real good movie. Early parts dragged a bit and they should have put more scenes of him crushing street crime, but that's minor pacing gripes. Oldman and Keaton stole the show. Lots of good nods to William Gibson, too.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
a remake that you yourself said is not as good as the original and your favorite parts of this action movie were the TALKING scenes? why would you say "fuck the haters" ?

a remake is supposed to be better than the original, movies like Dredd and The Thing are good examples of this, if you cant even match the original in quality, then why even bother?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
phazael, why do you support child raping movies. I mean this movie literally raped my childhood into bloody pulp.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you don't want to watch the entire thing, at least go to 41:00.
Who let Fedor make a movie?

By the way I never had a problem with the black instead of silver color for robocop until I saw a robocop display stand at movies today. That human hand makes him look like a guy in a suit not a robot with a human brain. The visor eye slit area had a tapering off into non useful points at the ends creating a more demon type of look for robocop instead of a functional robotic style. That was done just because someone clearly thought it looked cooler that way.

Going to pass on this movie simply because of that display.

Caliane

Who let Fedor make a movie?

By the way I never had a problem with the black instead of silver color for robocop until I saw a robocop display stand at movies today. That human hand makes him look like a guy in a suit not a robot with a human brain. The visor eye slit area had a tapering off into non useful points at the ends creating a more demon type of look for robocop instead of a functional robotic style. That was done just because someone clearly thought it looked cooler that way.

Going to pass on this movie simply because of that display.
That is what everyone has been saying all along.

The black design just SCREAMS terrible art direction from corporate stooges. Its the sci fi version of bubsy, poochi the dog, 20% cooler, etc. Not an original thought was given. someone just played some halo, mass effect, etc.
now. Taking that statement and really thinking about it. there is some AMAZING potential there. In the same way, the Man of Steel trailers and promo shots were so WAY off. (dark, gritty, brooding. having hope, and brightness take over during the movie would have been great) Having the Robocop design be intentionally a satire on corporate movie making would be fantastic. Right in the same vein as the original, but updated for a more modern concerns. Net neutrality, NSA spying, corporate greed all around. corporations being "people". But no. these people are not that clever. What you get is Total recall remake. Just another shitty corporate remake.

The Lego movie is more subversive.

Originally Robocop was judge dredd. Another alternative way to go would have been to push it more Syndicate or shadowrun.. Which would have been amazing too.

Szlia

Minor spoiler for the movie, but Robocop is originally silver and then changed to black because of the marketing guy of the corporation.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
First one had shitty action, if we are being honest. Were it excelled was the satire and cynicism about American culture. The new one is more about free will and corporate extremism in a Gibson like story. A good reboot doesn't just copy the same story and it changes to reflect the culture of the time, which this one does. The sole reason I put the original above this one is the first one did a better job conveying the cynical society it was portraying with the depicted TV and commercials. But if you want to hate the reboot because of some rose colored memories, be my guest. That's what the internet is for.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Minor spoiler for the movie, but Robocop is originally silver and then changed to black because of the marketing guy of the corporation.
Then he changes back to silver in the end because the black suit is beat up.

Certainly not as good as the first, changed too many things about the storyline and characters just to be different. They had a couple things that harken back to the first like dead or alive you're coming with me, but missed too many other good ones, no gun spinning, no rapist scene on street patrol. Probably better than #3, not sure I would put it better than #2, and the original is just too good. Wondering if they would make the military robot hating guy as "Kain" in the next part.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
First one had shitty action, if we are being honest. Were it excelled was the satire and cynicism about American culture. The new one is more about free will and corporate extremism in a Gibson like story. A good reboot doesn't just copy the same story and it changes to reflect the culture of the time, which this one does. The sole reason I put the original above this one is the first one did a better job conveying the cynical society it was portraying with the depicted TV and commercials. But if you want to hate the reboot because of some rose colored memories, be my guest. That's what the internet is for.
Can you fly, Bobby?

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
read the plot on the movie's wiki page and it's so clich? and cringeworthy ffs

Column_sl

shitlord
Allot of mediocre to great reviews on this. Surprised, thought this movie was going to get shit on by the internet.

Cybsled

lol @ the remake link on Vimeo (wtf at the rapist scene haha). Oddly enough, one of the bits that got a good laugh out of me was the interpretive dance portion when Murphy gets his hand blown off, if only because in 3rd grade we had to do an interpretive dance project in gym class and I decided to do Robocop (the other 2 kids on the project had never seen it, so I had to explain it lol). One of the scenes we did was when Murphy gets killed, then subsequently gets rebuilt...that whole part kinda reminded me of it. Kinda makes me wonder if one of the people on that segment was a kid in my class.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
No offence intended, but wtf kind of gym class has interpretive dance? Mine had like... sports, and then bombard or "rape the fat/slow kids with rubber balls" as I liked to think of it.

Also that remake vimeo video was hilarious, I laughed my ass off at the silly Winding Refn video. And of course, the rapist part.

Szlia

3rd grade, so it's all about coordination, psychomotricity and proprioception aka domesticating your body. Interpretive dance sounds like a good way to do it. Also an opportunity for children to discover something they might not know and to be creative. Win, win, win.