Roguelike... City Builder (Against the Storm)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Found an interesting upcoming game: Against the Storm

The idea is that the early game is usually the fun part of city builders, then once your economy is stable, it turns into a slog. So they dropped the latter part, and turned it into a 1-2h mini game with lots of random (and strategy). Once you've won, you move to the next city with a different start, mix of resources, different buildings available, special challenges (like playing with pause disabled). Looks like loads of fun for a strategy/builder type like me.

It's on early access on Epic (I don't do EGS), but apparently, it releases simultaneously on both EGS and Steam on Oct 18.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Was this made in the Warcraft 3 engine?

Other than that, the concept seems pretty cool. I do love me some city builders.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I'm interested.

1658248601790.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

bolok

Molten Core Raider
There's a demo out on steam. Absolutely just lost 7 hours playing it, lol. It seems quite good. Bit rogue-ish with the random tech tree unlocks, but definitely seems to be even more layers of pain you can inflict on yourself just poking around the in game menus.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's surprisingly deep.
Yeah there’s a billion fuckin buildings and resources. Been looking at this for a while, looks cool. I like city builders but I only like building them to a point then I want to start over. This games model looks like it would work well for me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Yeah there’s a billion fuckin buildings and resources. Been looking at this for a while, looks cool. I like city builders but I only like building them to a point then I want to start over. This games model looks like it would work well for me.
Yeah, me too. Looks like there is enough yo keep me busy and entertained. Really looking forward to release.

bolok

Molten Core Raider
Seems like one of those games where i'd love a physical manual to flip through and try to figure out how the fuck everything interacts.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played it for a bit, pretty cool. I like that you just get a place going then move the hell on.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
this seems very promising, will probably grab it when EA starts.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Early Access is already ongoing, but only on Epic Store. The release is scheduled for Oct 18th, and that's when it lands on Steam as well.

(assuming no delays)

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There’s a demo in steam if you haven’t tried it yet. Played for 90 minutes and didn’t finish the demo portion.

• 1Like

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
This game is excellent. I only played the Demo on Steam, as I refuse to use EGS. According to the devs on the Steam forums, the October release date is still undetermined for Steam, and it will just be the same Early Access that is on Epic. They say it will stay in Early Access for at least 6 more months.

So, no full release just yet.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I love this game, at least what I've played of the demo so far. Like most I'm waiting for the Steam release, but I've played the shit out of the demo. I actually had to stop because I don't want to get burnt out before the real release, particularly if the accumulated xp/progress doesn't carry over (it probably doesn't). I will be playing the Steam release a lot when it goes live.

As stated, this is fucking perfect because you don't have to keep playing through the boring late game shit, you just start another town and get to deal with the new problems. I'm looking forward to all of the different terrain, as the only one that we can play right now makes chopping wood way too easy.

• 1Like

bolok

Molten Core Raider
I love this game, at least what I've played of the demo so far. Like most I'm waiting for the Steam release, but I've played the shit out of the demo. I actually had to stop because I don't want to get burnt out before the real release, particularly if the accumulated xp/progress doesn't carry over (it probably doesn't). I will be playing the Steam release a lot when it goes live.

As stated, this is fucking perfect because you don't have to keep playing through the boring late game shit, you just start another town and get to deal with the new problems. I'm looking forward to all of the different terrain, as the only one that we can play right now makes chopping wood way too easy.
Apparently the demo progress will carry over from what I saw on the Steam forum.

• 3Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
well, lets come up with a better term, and popularize it.

The issue: firstly, theres Roguelike, and Rogue-lite. roguelike originally meant games like rogue. so, specifically rng perma-death proc gen dungeon crawls.
I'd be more ok with "roguelike" if it kept to that more specifically. Dredmore, etc.

Rogue-lite was originally a term to describe the atypical ones. slay the spire, rogue legacy, etc. especially the addition of meta progression.

Tactical rogue-lite townbuilder?

A part of the issue is buzzwords and qualifiers. In theory, shouldn't that be good?
the unicorn game I'm looking for, A Survival, Autonomy colony building sim with proc gen gated progression.
or... I want a conan-like survival game, with rimworld-like colony building, and Terraria-like world gen/boss/itemization progression.

The "like" method actually does a better job of giving the spirit of the concept more then the buzzword often. and just throwing in a bunch of buzzwords to describe your game also annoys people.

I tried this yesterday for a while. I actually couldn't get into it. I was pretty bored for most of it, hoping it would open up more as I played.

• 1Like