Roguelite Enemy Hell/Bullet Heaven/Survivor catch-all

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Little more in-depth on Spirit Hunters: Infinite Horde

Impressively deep meta progression so far. Multiple in game currencies and some nodes are gated by killing a certain number of a certain monster type so you have to play all the maps on every difficulty rather than just exclusively farming some optimal spot. Lack of second stick aiming remains my biggest pet peeve (contrary to what Brikker said the two best/most reliable abilities are front fired), but you get used to it. Biggest problem the game has at the moment is hero balance, one of the two starter heroes has multiple healing abilities and they make him far and away the best character, and also the only one that can reliably tackle the highest difficulty. There's a hero with a huge defense bonus that can sort of manage it by being tough enough to stay alive on just the healing the stages give you but stage healing is very unpredictable.

Lot of potential though.

I've found bone shot + spears, then mines/whatever 4th (tornadoes are good) to be the strongest prior to putting points into Brutal Damage. Agree on characters, no reason to use anyone but the starter with the heal. Also find most special abilities not worthwhile.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've found bone shot + spears, then mines/whatever 4th (tornadoes are good) to be the strongest prior to putting points into Brutal Damage. Agree on characters, no reason to use anyone but the starter with the heal. Also find most special abilities not worthwhile.
except the starter's special gives you temporary invulnerability and a bit of healing. sorta ridiculous.

The fact that you didn't answer cleave makes you wrong though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
A new challenger approaches:

haven't tried it yet

I’ve been playing during some downtime today and yesterday. The guy who does Soulstone Survivor videos also does this game so thought I’d try it.

Pretty fun so far. Can’t speak to the development pace or anything since it has only been two days and I know zero about the history.

Each character plays different and so far I have just the first 3. Was easy to clear the 1st world on each one 1st try. Characters have different skill trees with passives and actives to unlock during the match with skill points from levels. Starting weapon, some %atk, duration, cooldown, stuff like that. An ult ability to unlock, and then two different weapons at either end of the skill tree. I believe only sub-items are useable, so not a lot of clicking to do.

Probably going to play it pretty much in between Soulstone patches. Not a lot left for me to farm there. I will add that after doing 7 minute runs in Soulstone, Nordic Ashes feels very slow. I think 20 minutes was my typical run. Maybe a bit more. But then again 13m was probably my start in Soulstone before unlocks.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The general trend of 15 minutes or less is easily the best improvement to the genre post-VS.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
These games are for autists.

So why do I own most all of them?

• 1Solidarity

Brikker

Trump's Staff
except the starter's special gives you temporary invulnerability and a bit of healing. sorta ridiculous.

The fact that you didn't answer cleave makes you wrong though.

I like cleave, and the Evo with damage pumped hits like a truck, but I still prefer spears/bone shot/mines. Bone shot as a starter is especially OP with the healer since you have a 0.2s cool down to proc the heals (assuming your web is upgraded). My brutal maps have my spears doing 3mill+ damage easy (avoid spear cage evo, it sucks)

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Missing one

That's a different kind of game, twin stick shooter.

I've been playing a lot of Heroes of Hammerwatch lately. I missed it at release for some reason, but there's quite a lot of game there if you like twin stick stuff.

As you get better the runs are way longer than 15 minutes though...

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally beat all the challenges for Rogue Genesia. A lot of them were actually pretty fun/interesting and some certainly pretty tough. The final corruption challenge Descent into Hell, was tough as hell and pretty RNG'y since you had to get some good early rolls to stand a chance. My winning run I got the Artificer Katana in the first world which is the only way I see of beating it.

20230115223628_1.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I feel dirty playing it but that weeb Mystic Survivors game is a solid VS clone.

The Norse one mentioned is...ok? I need more time with it. Has some variations on upgrading/weapons via a skill tree that could be interesting.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I feel dirty playing it but that weeb Mystic Survivors game is a solid VS clone.
Yeah clone right down to still being based on the old 30 minute per run plan, and the internet is full of better hentai if that's what you're after.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

The Norse one mentioned is...ok? I need more time with it. Has some variations on upgrading/weapons via a skill tree that could be interesting.

I’ve put a lot more time in to Nordic Ashes and am still enjoying it. The harder difficulties make you really think about your upgrades and how many skill points to spend rerolling so you get the most beneficial stat increases. The Ascension shrine tree upgrade really helps too in getting that early weapon ascension and then a second one at the end of the 1st round. And most relics have ascension upgrades 1 or 2.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Which game is that? I’ve kind of paused Soulstone and Nordic until release or major content patches and picked back up Rogue Genesis to do the new stuff there.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've tried this a couple times but it's very stubborn with what it offers me on Demon. I ran a plank Loud last night hoping for either thunder sword or nuke launcher and instead this happened.

View attachment 455345

You have to get a decent amount of luck to reliably get potato guns around wave 8-11. Helps to also start out with primitive weapons so you can abuse their +HP set bonus to buy more stuff early. I've since perfected it, behold. Almost 1500 Hp's, 555 damage with 100% crit at 0.15 APS. Both bosses died in 4 seconds.

20230122140202_1.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You have to get a decent amount of luck to reliably get potato guns around wave 8-11. Helps to also start out with primitive weapons so you can abuse their +HP set bonus to buy more stuff early. I've since perfected it, behold. Almost 1500 Hp's, 555 damage with 100% crit at 0.15 APS. Both bosses died in 4 seconds.

View attachment 455363
jesus lmao

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

View attachment 455363
so what do you build in the early rounds to get this monstrosity started? i see no armor or dodge, so is it just really good twitch reflexes making this work?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
so what do you build in the early rounds to get this monstrosity started? i see no armor or dodge, so is it just really good twitch reflexes making this work?

Buy up all +HP items, harvest/luck, and your primitive weapons. Burn all your money on rerolls. You're able to get strong enough weapons that you barely get hit. I'll sometimes burn down to 1 HP. Don't buy too many damage items. This pic is only after round 2 and look at all the items I have. Get a couple good rounds like this and it quickly snowballs. Around wave 5~ you'll want to slow down on how much money you burn on rerolling the shop

20230126221936_1.jpg