Routers & Other Networking Stuff

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
That's the one. Warning : it can't handle more than ~300mbps in case you have faster internet.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why not go with a AC router, since you are looking to upgrade anyway?

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Access Points | Aruba Networks

Got a few of these out in production right now and they are fantastic. I dropped one in an electrical closet in our Recreation center and it lit up the entire building with ~12% dropoff on the other side of the bricks in the freaking parking lot.

I'll put 2 in there for safety's sake and drop a 275 in the pool area and i doubt anyone would ever lose a packet. You don't HAVE to buy a controller for these but it makes meshing dynamic, and we will be throwing outdoors out left and right. It seems much better than any Cisco solution I have been around. But that might just be the AC standard.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I can't find what those costs which probably means they are way too expensive(for average household consumers).

Crone: not entirely sold on AC. I'd probably buy an AC router from Mikrotik if they made one. But my phone(nexus 5), my boxee, my wife Tab 4, none of them have AC antennae. I think the standard is too new and the benefits of increased bandwidth are rarely realized. I'll probably wait for it to stabilize to buy into that standard.

radditsu

I can't find what those costs which probably means they are way too expensive(for average household consumers).

Crone: not entirely sold on AC. I'd probably buy an AC router from Mikrotik if they made one. But my phone(nexus 5), my boxee, my wife Tab 4, none of them have AC antennae. I think the standard is too new and the benefits of increased bandwidth are rarely realized. I'll probably wait for it to stabilize to buy into that standard.
If you do a ton of local streaming or have a FIOS connection in your house I could see the benefit of AC, otherwise I wouldn't really bother.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Access Points | Aruba Networks

Got a few of these out in production right now and they are fantastic. I dropped one in an electrical closet in our Recreation center and it lit up the entire building with ~12% dropoff on the other side of the bricks in the freaking parking lot.

I'll put 2 in there for safety's sake and drop a 275 in the pool area and i doubt anyone would ever lose a packet. You don't HAVE to buy a controller for these but it makes meshing dynamic, and we will be throwing outdoors out left and right. It seems much better than any Cisco solution I have been around. But that might just be the AC standard.
Those are great, but for price/performance, I dont know why you would ever go with anything other than Unifi.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I loved my DIR-655. Rock solid router.. until I got into torrents. Had the same experience as you, to be honest.

When my Fiber connection came in, I finally upgraded to this:
Cisco Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Dual-Band Wireless-N Router review - CNET

It is pretty old now and I really only use wired connections (except ipad and phone). I torrent hundreds of files and can max my entire 100MB fiber line and this thing never skips a beat. I don't even know when the last time was that I rebooted it. I have zero complaints.

radditsu

Those are great, but for price/performance, I dont know why you would ever go with anything other than Unifi.
What scale are you using Unifi? We are looking to monetize it in the future via Increased bandwith user control, to keep our out of pocket costs down. We are thinking giving a user x amount of speed/data for free and if they want to give us 5 bucks we give them some extra gigabickles. The aruba has a platform for that that meshes with the controller and is really slick. We have a 3rd party doing this stuff right now and they really drop the ball, they use our fiber plant, and we get a big fat zero on the monies for it. Go go previous IT admins and albatross contracts.

Remit_sl

shitlord
What scale are you using Unifi? We are looking to monetize it in the future via Increased bandwith user control, to keep our out of pocket costs down. We are thinking giving a user x amount of speed/data for free and if they want to give us 5 bucks we give them some extra gigabickles. The aruba has a platform for that that meshes with the controller and is really slick. We have a 3rd party doing this stuff right now and they really drop the ball, they use our fiber plant, and we get a big fat zero on the monies for it. Go go previous IT admins and albatross contracts.
I'm primarily a WISP, but have a couple unifi deployments in hotels and hospitals, usually 20-70 APs. I honestly can say I havent a clue for pay for hotspot. I guess if it is generating revenue that makes it a little more reasonable, but who still pays for wifi? I have 4g hotspot on my phone, and another in my chevy truck.

radditsu

I'm primarily a WISP, but have a couple unifi deployments in hotels and hospitals, usually 20-70 APs. I honestly can say I havent a clue for pay for hotspot. I guess if it is generating revenue that makes it a little more reasonable, but who still pays for wifi? I have 4g hotspot on my phone, and another in my chevy truck.
Wasn't saying paying for wifi, Paying for an increased speed. It's not really the point of the system, just a bell /whistle we want. Our 4g is almost non-existent in the city... We control the only 3 spots to run Cell towers due to tree cover, and we are pretty adamant about cutting trees down. It's an act of congress to cut a branch.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Wasn't saying paying for wifi, Paying for an increased speed. It's not really the point of the system, just a bell /whistle we want. Our 4g is almost non-existent in the city... We control the only 3 spots to run Cell towers due to tree cover, and we are pretty adamant about cutting trees down. It's an act of congress to cut a branch.
So what type of a deployment is this? Hotspot? Municiple? Or enterprise wireless?

radditsu

So what type of a deployment is this? Hotspot? Municiple? Or enterprise wireless?
It's staged. We are doing public areas and some needed coverage in our office spaces first. Then we are replacing the wifi over the entirety of the downtown. We have 4 evenly ish spaced out locations that have our fiber in the ground as it is. Also we are loading up the football stadium, all the baseball fields, the tennis centers etc. Then we are going to drop some directional antenna on our water towers to get rid of the DNP SCADA connections we use over 800mhz radio. So we can get rid of another albatross we have. We have to get rid of this to be able to upgrade the Police communication systems to something that isnt awful. The aruba has all packets encrypted to the controller. If we can keep our costs reasonable we will keep dropping outdoors and improving. We run all our own utilities and we have a ton of stockpiled fiber leftover for when they wanted to make their own ISP, so our costs are pretty much nil on infrastructure.

Remit_sl

shitlord
It's staged. We are doing public areas and some needed coverage in our office spaces first. Then we are replacing the wifi over the entirety of the downtown. We have 4 evenly ish spaced out locations that have our fiber in the ground as it is. Also we are loading up the football stadium, all the baseball fields, the tennis centers etc. Then we are going to drop some directional antenna on our water towers to get rid of the DNP SCADA connections we use over 800mhz radio. So we can get rid of another albatross we have. We have to get rid of this to be able to upgrade the Police communication systems to something that isnt awful. The aruba has all packets encrypted to the controller. If we can keep our costs reasonable we will keep dropping outdoors and improving. We run all our own utilities and we have a ton of stockpiled fiber leftover for when they wanted to make their own ISP, so our costs are pretty much nil on infrastructure.
So is this municipal or hundreds of back alley colo agreements? Why not use 4.9 for the po po? I would not piggy back on a muni or hotspot for public safety circuits. Lots of WISPs have tried the AP on a lightpost, but once you see any increase in the noise floor you end up needing CPE devices on the buildings you want to service. Maybe I a missing something, but this seems sketchy as shit.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I'm not an expert but what about Ubiquiti? Seem to be well rated, and the fact that they appear as only one AP/Mac address that manages the switching itself seems cool.
Amazon.com: ubiquiti: Electronics
Unifi is ubiquiti's enterprise wireless line
smile.png
. I've been 100% ubiquiti for radios for about 7 years. Cheap Chinese crap, but amazing once you learn their quirks. I have stayed with mikrotik for routing as they do everything I want.