Routers & Other Networking Stuff

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I wouldn't ever bet on 802.11 ac to hit 1.3Gbps. Even with a ton less interference right now I would only count on about 500 Mbps for the first hop

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm trying to trouble shoot some issues I'm having with Comcast. I've dealt with the first call/level of customer service and they were, of course, useless.

I have a question. If I have one computer connected directly to the modem(no router involved), the IP is my modem itself, correct? The default gateway IP is the Comcast node just outside my house is my assumption? When I do a line quality test to the default gateway, I get 0 packet loss. When I do it to my IP, it fails(from 5 - 10% packet loss). This leads me to believe the issue is with the connection from the node to myself, but that's only if my assumption on what address is what exactly, are correct.

Anyone with actual knowledge that can help?

Test to my IP:Line quality test packet loss and latency | DSLReports, ISP Information
Test to my default gateway:Line quality test packet loss and latency | DSLReports, ISP Information

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm trying to trouble shoot some issues I'm having with Comcast. I've dealt with the first call/level of customer service and they were, of course, useless.

I have a question. If I have one computer connected directly to the modem(no router involved), the IP is my modem itself, correct? The default gateway IP is the Comcast node just outside my house is my assumption? When I do a line quality test to the default gateway, I get 0 packet loss. When I do it to my IP, it fails(from 5 - 10% packet loss). This leads me to believe the issue is with the connection from the node to myself, but that's only if my assumption on what address is what exactly, are correct.

Anyone with actual knowledge that can help?

Test to my IP:Line quality test packet loss and latency | DSLReports, ISP Information
Test to my default gateway:Line quality test packet loss and latency | DSLReports, ISP Information
The gateway ip is your local modem. Its the next hop that is the problem. Tracert to your DNS server and see if you lag on a hop.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The gateway ip is your local modem. Its the next hop that is the problem. Tracert to your DNS server and see if you lag on a hop.
Yeah, if that next hop after the gateway IP is an issue, then it's probably an issue with the coaxial line in your home/yard.

I had an issue where rain was seeping into the cable box on the outside of my home, my connection would go to shit for 3-4 hours everytime it rained more than 1/8" or so, but that outside box can also be effected by extreme temperatures as well. Or you could be like a friend of mine, who had squirrels kept chewing through the line going from his home to the utility pole. That was fun.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
eero.com

Fancy way of setting up signal boosters, for the suckers, or actually worthwhile "new" tech?

Found it on Newegg's facebook page, and they did a post on it. Sounds to me like it simplifies getting access points setup in your house, and they put it in a decent looking package so people aren't embarassed for having the box laying out in their living room.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone get the "new" FIOS router? Their old one sucks and I can't seem to get very good wireless speeds.
I'm not a FIOS user, but generally speaking, don't use the wireless that comes with your ISP-provided modem. They're usually the cheapest junk they can buy in bulk. Get a good wireless router of your own.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Looking for a router that won't shit itself when I torrent anything. Currently have a DIR-655 and it does fine most of the time, but after a week or so, it requires a reboot. It's been requiring more reboots lately, sometimes while not even torrenting, just heavy usage(netflix + youtube). At least, I'm assuming that the problem is the router. Would the defacto recommendations(Mikrotik or ASUS) be an improvement, or just does no standard commercial router stand up to that beating?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Looking for a router that won't shit itself when I torrent anything. Currently have a DIR-655 and it does fine most of the time, but after a week or so, it requires a reboot. It's been requiring more reboots lately, sometimes while not even torrenting, just heavy usage(netflix + youtube). At least, I'm assuming that the problem is the router. Would the defacto recommendations(Mikrotik or ASUS) be an improvement, or just does no standard commercial router stand up to that beating?
They would be an improvement iirc the DIR-655 just can't handle that many threads at a time.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why the variance? Granted, I'm never seeding more than 20 at a time, but my DIR-655 works just fine. I've kept the firmware up to date, but other than that haven't done anything to it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Why the variance? Granted, I'm never seeding more than 20 at a time, but my DIR-655 works just fine. I've kept the firmware up to date, but other than that haven't done anything to it.
No idea, just know it happens. I'm definitely seeding more stuff than that, but it's not the seeding that's the problem. The active downloading either clogs the connection or makes the router shit itself.

The engineer in me really wants to buy the mikrotik unless someone can convince me ASUS's 66 line is worth the extra money.