Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In theory they work, in practice I'd be impressed if they actually worked for what the OP wanted. You need a good line of sight, low interference, and great conditions.

If all you're looking to do is share files it's way easier to make a free dropbox account that only you two have access to.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Thanks, I'm going to give the routerboard 60$ units a try and see how that works.

In theory they work, in practice I'd be impressed if they actually worked for what the OP wanted. You need a good line of sight, low interference, and great conditions.

If all you're looking to do is share files it's way easier to make a free dropbox account that only you two have access to.
I have a large NAS she wants access too, not really viable to share it via drop box.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I would go with 2x Ubiquiti NSM2Locos or NSM2s (depending on fresnel inclusion). They will be much easier to set up than the tiks. I would recommend 5ghz but tres+window with 5ghz is probably going to give you issues. You will need to do a spectrum scan to get a clean channel, and probably drop the channel width to 5 or 10mhz. Expect 10-20Mbps throughput.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
grabbed the rb951g router to give it a shot,. it is about the same price as the netgear one i am using right now.

update 7/9: Router Arrived today. first impression -it's small but feels real solid, case looks well made, i have NOT plugged it in as of yet due to not wanting to have to reconfigure my wireless network while we are on vacation (ie not wanting to deal with no internet complainted from the wife/kids). i'm reading up on the features and am going to limit my kids access to youtube to ~50 gig a month.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So it seems my Linksys WRT54GS has finally died after nearly 10 years. Is it worth getting an AC router now? I don't have any devices that support it, but I wouldn't mind spending a little extra money now, knowing I won't need to upgrade for a long time. Otherwise I'm looking for something reliable for under $100. I don't need anything fancy, so the DIR-655 looks like it would work fine unless someone has a better suggestion at a similar price. Newegg has it for $55 until the end of the month.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
DIR-655 is really good. WRT54GS is pretty old and there's a pretty big performance gap between Wireless G and Wireless N (DIR-655).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone here own their own cable modem instead of leasing from your cable company? Time Warner is about to up their monthly leasing fee, so I'm looking to purchase my own, but I've NEVER, in 15+ years of having cable modem service, bought my own. I don't even know where to begin. Any recommendations? Here is the "official" compatibility list. Price isn't a huge concern as long as a more expensive model has features that make it worthwhile(I don't use my cable modems built-in wifi, I have a separate router for that)

Vendor Model
Motorola SBG6580
Motorola SB6141
Motorola SB6121
Netgear CG3000D
Netgear CMD31T
Zoom 5352
Zoom 5350
Zoom 5341J
ZyXEL CDA-30360

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I owned a Motorola SBG6580. It was fairly cheapish at the time, and I found I had less trouble than using Comcast's modem. It seemed like a good purchase to me. That said I don't know which is the best.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Think I bought the SB6121. Called them up with the MAC address, was up with an IP lease within an hour. What features are you looking for besides DOCSIS 3.0?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Similar experience, although Comcast was generally confused as to why I needed a new cable modem that wasn't theres. They kept saying they'd fix it, I kept saying no thanks. Eventually they let me use it. AFAIK the one Comcast gave me didn't support DOCSIS 3.0 as well.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Think I bought the SB6121. Called them up with the MAC address, was up with an IP lease within an hour. What features are you looking for besides DOCSIS 3.0?
Hell, I don't know. Every feature that I need for my home networking I have built into my nice router(Asus RT-N66Uhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320091). I don't need my cable modem to do Wifi or even be a switch/hub at all. Guess I don't need anything too complex, but the models I listed above are the ones that are supposedly compatable with my 50mbps service.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have the model right before Motorola SB6121, worked great for the last two or three years.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Anyone here own their own cable modem instead of leasing from your cable company? Time Warner is about to up their monthly leasing fee, so I'm looking to purchase my own, but I've NEVER, in 15+ years of having cable modem service, bought my own. I don't even know where to begin. Any recommendations? Here is the "official" compatibility list. Price isn't a huge concern as long as a more expensive model has features that make it worthwhile(I don't use my cable modems built-in wifi, I have a separate router for that)

Vendor Model
Motorola SBG6580
Motorola SB6141
Motorola SB6121
Netgear CG3000D
Netgear CMD31T
Zoom 5352
Zoom 5350
Zoom 5341J
ZyXEL CDA-30360
Do not rent a cable modem or mta from your cable company it is a big mistake. You will get some reused pile of junk. The only upside of renting is if the cable modem or MTA gets fried during a power surge or a port goes out you are protected. The Motorola's are pretty good, the 6580 has a built in wifi router so you might want to pass on that.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Do not rent a cable modem or mta from your cable company it is a big mistake. You will get some reused pile of junk. The only upside of renting is if the cable modem or MTA gets fried during a power surge or a port goes out you are protected. The Motorola's are pretty good, the 6580 has a built in wifi router so you might want to pass on that.
I've been renting so far and I have to give Time Warner credit, I take my modem in to one of their stores/offices every couple years, and they give me the newest model available, no hassle. I have a Motorola SB6121 from them right now. I really didn't mind it when I was only paying 2 or 3 bucks a month, but now that it's jumping to double that, it's finally time to buy my own.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Hey all, I am moving into a new house next Friday and for the first time in my life it will have CAT5 drops to every room. The central panel is in a pretty centrally located area but I wanted to know if there was any way for me to have my router/cable modem in a room besides the one where the central panel is located and still have it route the signal to the other hard lines. If it has to be connected directly to the central panel than is there any way for me to use a second wireless router as a hotspot with the same wireless network ID? Any help would be appreciated!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I would think that the only issue with placement at all is that your cable modem is still going to have to be near an actual cable jack, to accept the coaxial line going to it. Beyond that, everything else can be sent to whatever room you need via Cat5.