Routers & Other Networking Stuff

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I assume this "central panel" is a patch panel It's going to need a Network Switch to interconnect the runs to each room.

The Modem/Router can be anywhere in the house as long as they can be connected to the central switch by a run. You will need them together. You cannot plug your modem directly into the network. ONLY into the WAN on the router. The router is plugged into the network run/network switch from one of its LAN ports.

I would suggest the modem/router going in the main entertainment center area. It will already have coax for TV, and the Router can also behave as a 4 port switch, breaking out the wall jack to itself plus 3 devices.

Df~_sl

shitlord
So I tried looking at routerboard... and looks a bit too complicated to find what I am looking for... because I am not sure ifthiswill do what I need...

Hoping someone can recommend a router to me...

I need:
OpenVPN
Wireless N but compatible with Wireless G
Gigabit Wired (at least 2 wired gigabit connections)

I want to NEVER have to power cycle my router again. After setup, if internet ever stops working it will be because of the modem... not the router.

Usage:
16 wireless devices, 2 wired
Max 50 wireless devices over 20meters

Thanks in advance!

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
So I tried looking at routerboard... and looks a bit too complicated to find what I am looking for... because I am not sure ifthiswill do what I need...

Hoping someone can recommend a router to me...

I need:
OpenVPN
Wireless N but compatible with Wireless G
Gigabit Wired (at least 2 wired gigabit connections)

I want to NEVER have to power cycle my router again. After setup, if internet ever stops working it will be because of the modem... not the router.

Usage:
16 wireless devices, 2 wired
Max 50 wireless devices over 20meters

Thanks in advance!
Start here:http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Depending on your budget, you can buy one pre-flashed or roll your own from a cheap router. Anything with gigabit lan is going to be a little more expensive.

I've used and like this one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FUei4AodaWoA2g

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Those Buffalos look nice. I remember a few years ago where you had to go on ebay and get some international Buffalo router and hope that it worked and all that shit. Good to see them available here. Might get one of those one day.

Kaita

Golden Squire
I am building a media closet upstairs and need a switch to split the one incoming cat 5 cable. My main router is a netgear cg3000d tied with my mediacom service in the basement. What would be the most reliable, affordable option for the closet. I get a good wireless signal upstairs so i don't necessarily need to repeat the signal.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I am building a media closet upstairs and need a switch to split the one incoming cat 5 cable. My main router is a netgear cg3000d tied with my mediacom service in the basement. What would be the most reliable, affordable option for the closet. I get a good wireless signal upstairs so i don't necessarily need to repeat the signal.
If you just need to split it get whatever gigabit 5 or 8 port switch is the best deal on newegg. Switches are simple as shit, no point in spending a lot on one.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have had terrible results with every single USB wireless adapter I've ever bought. I strictly use a PCI-e card version in my desktop (Rosewill). Some may have better results, but I could never get anything even remotely decent with a USB dongle.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah it's really reliable and I get a pretty good signal. Unfortunately it seems like they are making more and more of the USB dongles which I hate. Just try to grab a PCI-e card that's wireless N. I have the rosewill one with two antennae

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I use a PCI-e card and it works great. I use the Rosewill 3-antenna model, which is exactly the same piece as some of the bigger named units but costs less.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I use a Rosewill USB 2T2R that I bought ~4 years ago. Works just fine.

2Mbps sounds like the adapter is stuck in UBS 1.0 mode. Can you ensure that the port you've plugged it into is running in USB 2.0 mode? Put a USB drive in the same port and see how fast a large file copies.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Probably a dumb question, but after looking at the link to the self-powered USB network dongle...if a device draws its power from the USB port, does that cut in to the data bandwith that is available to the device, or are those things completely separate with no relation whatsoever to each other?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I want a new router for my 1gbps internetz because myRouterBoard.com : RB951G-2HnDcan't do more than 400-500 mbps while torrenting. Unfortunately Mikrotik doesn't have anything between the 80$ for the 600mhz 951g and 400$ for aRouterBoard.com : RB1100AHx2. That's a lot to pay for a router so I'm looking for alternatives.

Requirements are to be able to handle 1gbps pppoe with a few firewall rules, support for openwrt/ddwrt and not cost 400$.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I want a new router for my 1gbps internetz because myRouterBoard.com : RB951G-2HnDcan't do more than 400-500 mbps while torrenting. Unfortunately Mikrotik doesn't have anything between the 80$ for the 600mhz 951g and 400$ for aRouterBoard.com : RB1100AHx2. That's a lot to pay for a router so I'm looking for alternatives.

Requirements are to be able to handle 1gbps pppoe with a few firewall rules, support for openwrt/ddwrt and not cost 400$.
Look into the Asus Rt-N66U or even the AC. They have some custom tomato builds and of course dd-wrt.

RT-N66U - Networking - ASUS

RT-AC66U - Networking - ASUS