Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Column_sl

shitlord
I can vouche for the ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router

Best router I have ever owned.

The coverage on that thing is stupid.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Can the ASUS handle U-Verse HD streaming to wireless receivers? I was reading something about the mesh networking the AT&T router does could possibly be proprietary for the Cisco AP's that broadcast out to the receivers. Anyone have experience with this? Wireless in my house can be shit at times and thinking of just swapping out the router instead of buying repeaters for the house.

blackac3

Trakanon Raider
Recently attached a nice Asus N66U to my network (thanks to some of the awesome comments about it). Was just wondering if general ISP modems have firewalls built into them as well and if its possible to disable it?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is more software than hardware, but hoping someone can help me with a proxy/socks5/tunneling quandary. I need to be able to tunnel to a socks5 server and route certain programs (*cough* hearthstone/battle.net *cough*) through it on my work laptop. I set up a server using cygwin -> openSSH on my home network, and I can tunnel into with putty just fine, but none of the proxifiers I've tried so far (freecap, widecap, openVPN) have worked for me. I'm assuming user error as I've read like 5 guides at this point that all have the same instructions and work for people who aren't me, so I'm not sure what else to try.

It may be that I set up openSSH to not be socks5 somehow, although everything I've readimpliesit is. Although I've some experience using vpns/tunneling I have no particular experience proxifying or with socks5 in particular. Any expertise is much appreciated!

Morbeas

Silver Squire
Ok my router just died so I need a replacement. Reading over the thread a bit, I?d like to know what a 'tik' is and why haven?t I heard of them until now? I?m in IT and I thought I knew my shit.
frown.png

Remit_sl

shitlord
Ok my router just died so I need a replacement. Reading over the thread a bit, I?d like to know what a 'tik' is and why haven?t I heard of them until now? I?m in IT and I thought I knew my shit.
frown.png
Mikrotik, all the features of Cisco for 1/10th of the price. They are amazing. ISPs even use them upwards of 5000 customers. I only learned about them when I started my own ISP, as they are pretty much the standard in the WISP world.

Pick out what model you want for what features you need, watch these videos:Mikrotik Training Videos MikrotikUniversity

Anything else can be done with the help of the wiki once you know the general stuff.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Hey guys, I don't know much about networking, but I need to purchase a router that is appropriate for a small business. Day to day we only have 3 or 4 people on the network, but once or twice a week we run classes where we have 20-25 people who need to access wireless internet simultaneously for a period of an hour or so. Is there anything that is relatively easy to configure and fairly inexpensive that would fit this requirement?

Normally when it comes to consumer products I'm pretty good at researching this sort of thing, but the disparity in pricing for business-grade products like this leaves me feeling like I could really use some guidance.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Hey guys, I don't know much about networking, but I need to purchase a router that is appropriate for a small business. Day to day we only have 3 or 4 people on the network, but once or twice a week we run classes where we have 20-25 people who need to access wireless internet simultaneously for a period of an hour or so. Is there anything that is relatively easy to configure and fairly inexpensive that would fit this requirement?

Normally when it comes to consumer products I'm pretty good at researching this sort of thing, but the disparity in pricing for business-grade products like this leaves me feeling like I could really use some guidance.
Ive always had great luck with the Netgear ProSAFE line for small businesses. Maybe the ProSafe FVS318N? 8 gigabit ports and N wireless, firewall and hardware VPN all in one unit.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I have the N66U as well, best router I've owned. Now if only I could get my TW cable service to be stable with their crap UBEE modem sitting in front of it..

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Need some recommendations on a Wireless Adapter, I did see a few recommended a page or two ago but I have more questions.

I currently have thisD-Link Router.

Should I get a D-Link Wireless Adapter? Does that even matter?

Should I upgrade my router as well?

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I had been running my desktop on wireless until I got a couple powerline adapters for Christmas. It's made a huge difference in speed and stability. If anyone is currently using a wireless adapter for their desktop, look into powerline adapters. I had been on wireless because our office is upstairs and it wasn't practical to run cat6 through the whole house for a hardwired connection, and I can't believe I didn't look into powerline adapters sooner.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Powerline adapters are very dependent on the age/quality of the wiring in your home. I have an older home (built in the 60s) and with powerline adapters I couldn't get more than about 15mbps download across them. Wasn't any better than my wireless.