Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Different circuit won't matter as long as it's on the same panel (we might just be speaking in slightly different terms here). I have mine going across breakers and it works fine.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Not sure on my terminology but it's on a different meter altogether, we have one for the living area and the inlaws have one for theirs and possibly a third for auxiliary stuff.
Might be worth a try in the end, I might even have a set lying around, can't hurt to try, but I don't put much hope in it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Ah, yep, that's probably a different panel per meter, then. You're right, it likely won't work unless these things are resilient enough to be able to pair up all the way up through to the common utility feed into your place. It's possible but I'm as doubtful as you are.

Hey, might as well try it if you have some lying around. If it works, bonus.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Is there a way to set up a telephony modem just for the telephone and have another modem for the download/up connected to the router?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
What, like, using a VoIP router as a telephony device without passing other traffic through it? Yes, but why? You'd be better off using it as both so that you can have more reliable QoS on your phone calls.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I don't really use my home phone but it's there for in case of emergencies. It's just slowing my internet down because they don't make the best telephony modems. Still waiting for the new 3.1 Docsis. ;\

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
It would probably require a fair amount of reconfiguration on the VoIP device. Do you have that kind of access to it? If it's from your telco, probably not.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What's a cheap way to cross a distance of 30-40 meters when just pulling cable is not an option? Basically the house and garden are separated by a rather large yard and a garage. I do have electricity in the garage, which is nice. However I doubt a run-of-the-mill range extender would do the job and I'm not willing to throw 50 eurobucks at the problem to find out.

It's not a top priority either, would be nice to have wifi in the garden when we chill on the deck. Mobile data coverage is shit where I live. In my fantasy I have a streaming device somewhere there to have music and that's it.
i would run a cat6 (connected to router) from house all the way to the garage and connect it to some spare router you got lying around calling it garage network or something.

weatherized cat 6 100ft is like 18bucks, in case you're worried about the elements, which is always a good precaution.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I like the part where he says running cable isn't an option and you recommend he runs cable to it. What's he supposed to do, just drape the cable across the lawn?

Being a cunt aside, getting a wire run out to the garage is honestly your best option unfortunately. As above, powerline stuff is never gonna work, and it's probably way too far for any kind of range extender to really function. Do you have any kind of cabling already run between the house > garage you could pin ethernet to?

You could try some directional antenna shit for your existing wireless router. Put the router in a room nearest/facing your garage and point something like this shit out the window or mount it on the exterior wall or something: HAWKING HAI15SC Ethernet Adapter-Newegg.com

40 meters might be at the edge of what wifi will cover though, even being unobstructed empty space.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I like the part where he says running cable isn't an option and you recommend he runs cable to it. What's he supposed to do, just drape the cable across the lawn?

Being a cunt aside, getting a wire run out to the garage is honestly your best option unfortunately. As above, powerline stuff is never gonna work, and it's probably way too far for any kind of range extender to really function. Do you have any kind of cabling already run between the house > garage you could pin ethernet to?

You could try some directional antenna shit for your existing wireless router. Put the router in a room nearest/facing your garage and point something like this shit out the window or mount it on the exterior wall or something: HAWKING HAI15SC Ethernet Adapter-Newegg.com

40 meters might be at the edge of what wifi will cover though, even being unobstructed empty space.
yea just hook it to the side of a fence, friend and I did this a while back, he wanted full coverage for his yard.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't really use my home phone but it's there for in case of emergencies. It's just slowing my internet down because they don't make the best telephony modems. Still waiting for the new 3.1 Docsis. ;\

If I'm understanding you correctly, this is very possible. My parents get the TV/Phone/Internet package from TWC and were getting charged for modem rental. When they raised the rental rates again I looked in to it was possible for them to use their own cable modem to avoid the fee. I bought them a SB 6141 and a splitter, hooked them both up and called TWC. TWC reconfigured the combo modem to just handle the phone, then they set up the account to use the SB 6141 for internet. No more stupid modem rental fee and they haven't had any issues with it since.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
What's a cheap way to cross a distance of 30-40 meters when just pulling cable is not an option? Basically the house and garden are separated by a rather large yard and a garage. I do have electricity in the garage, which is nice. However I doubt a run-of-the-mill range extender would do the job and I'm not willing to throw 50 eurobucks at the problem to find out.

It's not a top priority either, would be nice to have wifi in the garden when we chill on the deck. Mobile data coverage is shit where I live. In my fantasy I have a streaming device somewhere there to have music and that's it.

Use 2 of these, 1 as a WAP, 1 as a bridge/client
Use 2 of these antennas or something similar, replacing the stock antennas
Use 2 of these cables so the antennas can be on the exterior

I've done a similar setup, with higher cost enterprise equipment to bridge a 280ft gap between 2 wear house buildings. Don't expect mind blowing speed, but it will be a viable connection.

If you just need Wifi in the garden, then drop the second of all those items, 1 WAP, 1 Antenna pointed at garden, 1 cable extension.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Join the Build your Own PBX club with me.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Use 2 of these, 1 as a WAP, 1 as a bridge/client
Use 2 of these antennas or something similar, replacing the stock antennas
Use 2 of these cables so the antennas can be on the exterior

I've done a similar setup, with higher cost enterprise equipment to bridge a 280ft gap between 2 wear house buildings. Don't expect mind blowing speed, but it will be a viable connection.

If you just need Wifi in the garden, then drop the second of all those items, 1 WAP, 1 Antenna pointed at garden, 1 cable extension.
Looks like this is the best I can try.

Running cable is not an option because there's open space between the house and garage, electricity is buried somewhere, and the yard is blacktop so I'm not going to be digging.

Thanks guys.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I'd go with one of these at the source : RouterBoard.com : SXT Lite2 and this one at the receiving end RouterBoard.com : wAP or even better 2 of the first model for the point-to-point link and the second model as your AP.

They're both outdoor models, you don't have the fuck around with pigtails & shit, not to mention reliability and customization.

edit : if you want extra speed, both models have 802.11AC models at a ~50% premium.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
802AC will not help at all at distance, with two directional mono antennae 802N will barely make a difference as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Shitty AC might have acceptable bandwidth while shitty N might not.

Disclaimer: I have never used AC.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
5GHz effectively halves your range, so you'd have better luck with 2.4GHz over that kind of distance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that limits you to N, and with that kind of distance, you'd be hard pressed to get any speed on the high end of N.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
You can get 200+ mbps over a few km with the AC models. The 50$ ones are 99% sure to get you 50+ mbps over 50m.

edit : I was eating shit with the earlier numbers

Last edited: