Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have any experience deploying Skype for Business Server as a PBX? I want to know what I'm getting into here.

I'll need Windows Server 2012, Skype for Business 2015 Server, a SIP trunk, an actual server to put it on... do I need another server for my SQL server or can I run that on the same box? Or do two VMs?

Ryanz

<Banned>
Maybe a dumb question...but I was thinking about getting my own router but I use AT&T Uverse. From what I've read online is that AT&T makes it very hard (or impossible) to set up a router with their service. Dunno if anyone else has any experience with doing so.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Anyone have any experience deploying Skype for Business Server as a PBX? I want to know what I'm getting into here.

I'll need Windows Server 2012, Skype for Business 2015 Server, a SIP trunk, an actual server to put it on... do I need another server for my SQL server or can I run that on the same box? Or do two VMs?

Same box just use HyperV, simple and keeps the servers segregated for trouble shooting and performance tweaks.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So Cox guy came to house. He opened the street side access box and the compression fitting to my house slid right off the coax when it sagged down from where it was looped up into the container. So he replaced that and still found some loss. Turns out the brand new RG6-U QS jumper I had was freaking defective as well. Dropped my upstream channel gain down to 41 dbmv from 47-49 instantly and I have 0 correctable/uncorrectable artifacts so far where before I would average maybe 20-100 per hour.

So looks like it was cabling after all. Unfortunately since it was two places it never fully corrected when I tried the new jumper inside.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'm currently using an Asus RT-AC66U and have no complaints about it whatsoever.

Will second this. I use 2 of them at home and they're great. One is a WDS extension from my Cisco Aironet, and the other is my outward-facing cable router (with wireless disabled, mind you).

If you aren't the dd-wrt type, and prefer the look/feel of the ASUS UI, throw this firmware on them and they're even better: Home | Asuswrt-Merlin

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So Cox guy came to house. He opened the street side access box and the compression fitting to my house slid right off the coax when it sagged down from where it was looped up into the container. So he replaced that and still found some loss. Turns out the brand new RG6-U QS jumper I had was freaking defective as well. Dropped my upstream channel gain down to 41 dbmv from 47-49 instantly and I have 0 correctable/uncorrectable artifacts so far where before I would average maybe 20-100 per hour.

So looks like it was cabling after all. Unfortunately since it was two places it never fully corrected when I tried the new jumper inside.
It's always Layer 1.... Fucking layer 1!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
How many here are using dd-wrt / OpenWRT / Tomato Routers?

I have been contemplating moving to an open source firmware for a while but there are so many choices. I have a : Dlink DIR-655 A3
I do not care too much what type open source firmware as long as it is compatible but only openwrt seems to have ANY support and it seems untested for the DIR-655.

I am looking to simplify, secure and eventually run a vpn and play with QoS settings so I can share network costs with neighbours. The goal is to upgrade to a 25/50 Mb/s VDSL. I would like something secure that I have complete control over QoS withour risking exposing my home network (to ISP side or local neighbour wired clients). Running a seperate routing PC server seems overkill.

I would welcome recommendations for this DIR 655 router OR a new gateway mode/router that supports VDSL (for 25 Mb/s)?

Presently I have:

ISP @ 15/1 MB/s ADSL --> [ Speedtouch 516 ADSL ] ---> [ DIR-655-A3 ] ----> [ tplink tl-sg1008d GB switch ] --( GBe)--> [ home stuff ]

[1] I would love to install OpenWRT on the Speedtouch and just power on the DIR-655 when I need/want wireless.
[2] If I need to upgrade the Speedtouch or the DIR 655 I would prefer to replace BOTH with a VDSL all in one modem/router.
[3] Worst case I replace DIR-655 with something for OpenWRT.

Any + or - comments/feedback welcome

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Just took a look on the dd-wrt forums and it appears there is no support for the DIR-655 rev A. No chipset support whatsoever and no plans to do so. They may support the rev C one day, but that's questionable unless the generic package already does it. You're correct, OpenWRT supports the rev A (and B).

Cannot speak to OpenWRT as I've never run it, but you can definitely count dd-wrt out.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Use a dedicated SQL server, don't run it on the same box.

I would advise against using it as a full blown PBX though.. We use it for remote call control as well as voice conferencing, but use Avaya for our PBX.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's literally going to have 1 SIP trunk going into it.

This is for my house lab, to start working on my MCSE in communcations, not as a production server.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Though, if I ever get room to build a real lab, it would probably have an IP Office or maybe a virtualized Avaya CM stack connected to the Skype server and used the way you said.

Depends how much hardware I find in the trash at work.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I bought two of the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO to add some wifi coverage to the house. Pretty fucking amazing how easy it was to set-up but in my testing, the 2.4ghz throughput is horseshit. I know this equipment isn't meant for throughput and is more enterprise blah blah blah but honest to god... how the fuck do you explain this?

ASUS RT-87U 2.4ghz
Same Room: 87 mbps
Downstairs: 85 mbps

UAP-AC-Pro 2.4ghz
Same Room: 60 mbps
Downstairs: 45 mbps

The 5ghz runs almost identical, so that is cool and stuff but schon of a bisch the 2.4ghz is pissing me off.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Sorta wish I would have gotten that. The UAP-AC-PROs are not what I was hoping they'd be. Entirely my fault for getting before doing enough research on them in the first place.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I bought two of the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO to add some wifi coverage to the house. Pretty fucking amazing how easy it was to set-up but in my testing, the 2.4ghz throughput is horseshit. I know this equipment isn't meant for throughput and is more enterprise blah blah blah but honest to god... how the fuck do you explain this?

ASUS RT-87U 2.4ghz
Same Room: 87 mbps
Downstairs: 85 mbps

UAP-AC-Pro 2.4ghz
Same Room: 60 mbps
Downstairs: 45 mbps

The 5ghz runs almost identical, so that is cool and stuff but schon of a bisch the 2.4ghz is pissing me off.
Return it and get an AC-LITE, unless you're using the PRO for it's standard PoE compatibility.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
AC-LITE wouldn't solve the issue really. I can't imagine it having faster speeds than the AC-PRO version.

It's not a big issue. I'll find a use for them somehow. Just annoying that an "enterprise" or "prosumer" grade AP wouldn't be able to keep up with the ASUS RT-AC87U, which frankly is a baller router.