Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That 'router base station' just seems unnecessarily complicated. I don't need a giant LCD screen on my router.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Uh, okay, so we are no longer worried about performance or tech specs, we're worried about whether or not it goes with the curtains, right?

There are no reviews around that I can see. I don't think it's shipped yet (even to reviewers). I'm going to wait and see how it does in real life before I judge it, but I definitely don't care about the LCD screen. Why would that be a negative? Just ignore it. If it works as well as it promises to work, I'll buy one in an instant.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Looks pretty solid.

I'm getting tired of playing around with the Aironet I have. As much as it's neat to be able to log in to it and play around with something iOS-like, its performance is garbage. I might just take it out of the picture and use my 2x RT-AC66U in its place.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I feel you. I've yet to find anything that can rival the speed of my RT-AC87U's wireless. I'm still using my UAP-AC-PROs but may just get another RT-AC87U and use it as another AP. Haven't decided yet.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
AC-LITE wouldn't solve the issue really. I can't imagine it having faster speeds than the AC-PRO version.

It's not a big issue. I'll find a use for them somehow. Just annoying that an "enterprise" or "prosumer" grade AP wouldn't be able to keep up with the ASUS RT-AC87U, which frankly is a baller router.
I'm not saying its faster. It's a lot cheaper.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Fair point. I think I'm going to keep using them for now. The 5ghz band is mainly what I use and I get full bars across my entire yard now. My phone roams really well on them too (though I think that has more to do with the phone tweak I did to make the roaming better than the actual AP's themselves). I'll have to post a photo of my set up soon. I've been improving my home server and network in general after some suggestions from a_skeleton_03 and picking up the Nvidia Shield. I'm pretty pumped.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
I have an Asus n66u running behind my uverse router. It works just fine. I have to have the uverse router as I use their wireless cable box.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Just bought an Asus RT-AC3100 to try to fill a dead spot in the house. I think this is a bit overkill. Holy shit, this thing is a beast.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Interesting news from wifi/routers research @ MIT
Solving network congestion
MegaMIMO system from the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab speeds data transfer by coordinating multiple routers at the same time.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Solving network congestion

Anyone see a more detailed write up anywhere?

In terms of wifi applications this sort of smarter wifi routing could have an incredible impact in highly congested consumer wifi scenarios, especially in highrises! Having the potential for each rotuer to talk to others so they do not tread on eachothers toes.... very cool. Could make it much cheaper and practical for people to share their network/ISPs while still guaranteeing decent quality of service without complex hard wiring scenarios.

This might, potentially, have very interesting implications to explore beyond wifi into hardware/software assisted feedback distributed routing protocols in high volume and extremely congested communication scenarios. Quite possibly High Performance Computing as well, not in wireless applications but data congestion scheduling and organization hardware. One might envision for example a smarter routing layer and protocols with AI/software to multiplex scatter gather operations in high degree interconnect networks.

Exascale here we come! hehe

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I was just wondering if I need a new router or if this is typical for routers. When I have my comp wired into the router I get anywhere from 30-100 Mbs download less then if I just plug my computer straight into the modem. The upload is the same and the ping is anywhere from 5-30 more when plugged into the router. Is this normal?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I was just wondering if I need a new router or if this is typical for routers. When I have my comp wired into the router I get anywhere from 30-100 Mbs download less then if I just plug my computer straight into the modem. The upload is the same and the ping is anywhere from 5-30 more when plugged into the router. Is this normal?

Yes it is probably normal. It sounds like you have:
....a FAST modem,
....a FAST ethernet card on your computer
....a slow/old/misconfigured? router

What are the specs on the above hardware pieces?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I have the netgear 6300 and the surfboard 6190 modem and the Ethernet on my mobo is an Intel port. I get 350 down and 35 up with 7 ping not plugged into router.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I have the netgear 6300 and the surfboard 6190 modem and the Ethernet on my mobo is an Intel port. I get 350 down and 35 up with 7 ping not plugged into router.

Hmm Gigabit wifi router. Are you using wireless or wired ethernet to connect to the router?
If its wired I duno, it should work probably and might be broken.
If its wifi (since you got a new ac router) it could be a million things: I find wireless not worth the effort at home except for light browsing/video.

My high bandwidth and low latency needs are all served by dual wired gigabit ethernet with a switch.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>

If it's wireless, don't even bother troubleshooting if your connection is otherwise stable. Wireless is subject to latency for a hundred different reasons, most of which aren't solvable. Sounds like you're connected by Ethernet, though, so:

1. Is your router set to do any IDS or firewalling?
2. Is your router set to do QoS?

And finally, thought I doubt you've messed with it,

3. What's your MTU on all devices?

Also, what's the sample size of your testing here? Are we talking a few minutes of pinging or one round of 4 packets? Are the numbers roughly the same every time for all tests? I'm assuming you're using a Speed Test for this? They don't always tell the whole truth.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
What's a cheap way to cross a distance of 30-40 meters when just pulling cable is not an option? Basically the house and garden are separated by a rather large yard and a garage. I do have electricity in the garage, which is nice. However I doubt a run-of-the-mill range extender would do the job and I'm not willing to throw 50 eurobucks at the problem to find out.

It's not a top priority either, would be nice to have wifi in the garden when we chill on the deck. Mobile data coverage is shit where I live. In my fantasy I have a streaming device somewhere there to have music and that's it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Ethernet over power line? Don't know if that's cheaper than the requisite 50 eurobucks, though. Works well for me at my place. I used it to extend the physical LAN out to a dead spot and put a wifi router there.

Edit: Something like this.

Keep in mind that it doesn't mention this directly (neither did the one I have): It's 500Mbps across the power line, in theory, but only 10/100 at the device, so if you want 1Gb to the endpoint, you need to go with the higher cost kit. In my case, I have 100Mbps internet service, and I'm not running anything wired off of my satellite router, so I don't care.

For the record, this is the one I have: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...starter-kit-dhp-309av-dhp-309av/10227514.aspx

Last edited:

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I had thought of powerline but it's not going to work, different circuit (garages / stables vs home).

The cost is not the problem initially, if it works. If I throw 50 bucks at something that ends up not working, well, I just pissed away 50 bucks. If I spend 50 bucks and we have wifi in the garden, I'm the fucking hero.