Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
That's kind of a mess, your IP scheme would be useful to have.

What it needs to look like to solve a lot of headaches is Modem --> Router --> Switch --> Everything else

What is the brand and model of switch? Is it manageable?
Yeah, it's definitely a mess. The tl;dr is I didn't account for wifi interference when I had the modem initially installed, so the modem and router are connected via an in-wall cat5 that is about 100 ft long.

In looking for the answer to your question, I answered my original question... the switch isn't manageable, so my current setup doesn't allow for remote viewing of the security cameras. The problem is, the CAT5 connecting my DVR and cameras are all in my office. So it looks like my options are:

1) Replace switch with the router (modem>router>DVR/wifi router).
2) Re-route the in-wall cat5 coming from my cameras and send them to the router's new location in the warehouse.

How difficult is it to attach cat5 connectors? I've got the tool and the connectors, but haven't actually done it yet.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah, it's definitely a mess. The tl;dr is I didn't account for wifi interference when I had the modem initially installed, so the modem and router are connected via an in-wall cat5 that is about 100 ft long.

In looking for the answer to your question, I answered my original question... the switch isn't manageable, so my current setup doesn't allow for remote viewing of the security cameras. The problem is, the CAT5 connecting my DVR and cameras are all in my office. So it looks like my options are:

1) Replace switch with the router (modem>router>DVR/wifi router).
2) Re-route the in-wall cat5 coming from my cameras and send them to the router's new location in the warehouse.

How difficult is it to attach cat5 connectors? I've got the tool and the connectors, but haven't actually done it yet.
It's real simple to tip it. You just need the router where it is for wifi correct? If so just move the router to where the switch is, remove the switch, and then put an AP where the router is now. https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Lite-UAPACLITEUS/dp/B015PR20GY/

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It's real simple to tip it. You just need the router where it is for wifi correct? If so just move the router to where the switch is, remove the switch, and then put an AP where the router is now. https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Lite-UAPACLITEUS/dp/B015PR20GY/
Just finished setting this up and everything seems to be working perfectly. That was surprisingly easy to connect and get started. I like how my mobile WiFi devices automatically transition between the access point and the router depending on signal strength.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can anyone help with a recommendation for a good cheap NAS for my small business? Never bought one before so i'm not sure how important the specs like processors/RAM are.. Hopefully this is the right thread for this.

Ideally something in the 150-400 dollar range as i just want basic functionality to store the companies + my personal data and sometimes access it for work at home. Ideally a 2 bay where i can do a RAID set up it's not super important and if there's a good cheap single bay that is easy to utilize thatd be fine.

Also would like to use one to play media on my ps4/tv. But i guess just about any model wold work for this?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Can anyone help with a recommendation for a good cheap NAS for my small business? Never bought one before so i'm not sure how important the specs like processors/RAM are.. Hopefully this is the right thread for this.

Ideally something in the 150-400 dollar range as i just want basic functionality to store the companies + my personal data and sometimes access it for work at home. Ideally a 2 bay where i can do a RAID set up it's not super important and if there's a good cheap single bay that is easy to utilize thatd be fine.

Also would like to use one to play media on my ps4/tv. But i guess just about any model wold work for this?
If you are looking into business level equipment I would suggest Synology but they aren't super cheap. They have real good software that is real easy to use and is enterprise grade. I don't have experience with other prebuilt systems.

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-DS218-DiskStation-Diskless-2-bay/dp/B075N1BYWX/

I used to have one of their 5 bay systems.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I have a QNAP TS-251 with a pair of 4TB HGST drives in it and I've been quite happy with it. Can be had for $250 or so without drives.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I have a probably almost 10 year old Motorola SBG6580 that I think is starting to die on me (periodically get lots of dropped packets and occasionally bad speed until restart it). Any thoughts on a replacement? (It functions as both my modem and wireless router)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have a probably almost 10 year old Motorola SBG6580 that I think is starting to die on me (periodically get lots of dropped packets and occasionally bad speed until restart it). Any thoughts on a replacement? (It functions as both my modem and wireless router)

I would really move away from the all in one unit and get a separate modem and router.

I'm using a SB 6141 with an Asus RT-AC66U and am happy with both. Depending on your ISP and how fast your connection you might need the next step up on the modem side.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you are looking into business level equipment I would suggest Synology but they aren't super cheap. They have real good software that is real easy to use and is enterprise grade. I don't have experience with other prebuilt systems.

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-DS218-DiskStation-Diskless-2-bay/dp/B075N1BYWX/

I used to have one of their 5 bay systems.

I was actually looking at this model or a QNAP one i saw for sale on Newegg for around the same price.

I guess my only question would be for a company that does not need much storage or Uber reliability/security is there any other advantage to the more expensive models? I have a total budget of $1500-2500 for upgrading our IT/tech (thankfully the company only has me and my father as full time employees and he finally agreed to let me get new desktops to replace our 10 year old core duo based machines a few months ago). So i'd like to spend as little as i can on the NAS unless there is something super important offered by the high end models.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I was actually looking at this model or a QNAP one i saw for sale on Newegg for around the same price.

I guess my only question would be for a company that does not need much storage or Uber reliability/security is there any other advantage to the more expensive models? I have a total budget of $1500-2500 for upgrading our IT/tech (thankfully the company only has me and my father as full time employees and he finally agreed to let me get new desktops to replace our 10 year old core duo based machines a few months ago). So i'd like to spend as little as i can on the NAS unless there is something super important offered by the high end models.
That isn't a super expensive model but when you have a low budget I can see how it might feel that way.

What you get with the price is real easy software that integrates well into a number of enterprise level things. If you know what you are doing and have your own backup software just get a hard drive that is cheap, plug it into one of the PC's and share it out.

There are only really two reasons to use a NAS and that is that they are independent of a single PC and low power to run 24/7.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I would really move away from the all in one unit and get a separate modem and router.

I'm using a SB 6141 with an Asus RT-AC66U and am happy with both. Depending on your ISP and how fast your connection you might need the next step up on the modem side.

What kind of wireless router should I be looking for? I really don't need much.

Edit: On average there is something like 1 Fire stick streaming whatever shows and minimal usage on a laptop, plus desktop that will be wired. Sometimes there might be a second fire stick or a couple phones. Nothing crazy. Is something like this enough? https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1750-Smart-Router/dp/B00R2AZLD2

Last edited:

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
That isn't a super expensive model but when you have a low budget I can see how it might feel that way.

What you get with the price is real easy software that integrates well into a number of enterprise level things. If you know what you are doing and have your own backup software just get a hard drive that is cheap, plug it into one of the PC's and share it out.

There are only really two reasons to use a NAS and that is that they are independent of a single PC and low power to run 24/7.

By high end i was referring to some models i see selling for $1-5k and have like Ryzen 7 1700s with a bunch of ram. I was just wondering if there was any real purpose for all that power. But i guess thats not the case. I mostly want one as part of me streamlining, and securing our amazingly messy network/file sharing.

Anyways I wound up ordering that $299 synology one from amazon a moment ago so thanks for recommending that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
By high end i was referring to some models i see selling for $1-5k and have like Ryzen 7 1700s with a bunch of ram. I was just wondering if there was any real purpose for all that power. But i guess thats not the case. I mostly want one as part of me streamlining, and securing our amazingly messy network/file sharing.

Anyways I wound up ordering that $299 synology one from amazon a moment ago so thanks for recommending that.
Yeah, all good reasons. The higher power means you can run a lot of services natively on the NAS and you will figure those out on the Syno when you get it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What kind of wireless router should I be looking for? I really don't need much.

Edit: On average there is something like 1 Fire stick streaming whatever shows and minimal usage on a laptop, plus desktop that will be wired. Sometimes there might be a second fire stick or a couple phones. Nothing crazy. Is something like this enough? https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1750-Smart-Router/dp/B00R2AZLD2

That seems like a perfectly good router, nothing jumps out as something to beware of. Can't speak from any experience with it though.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Nas are very cheap to build yourself. I run an old dell desktop with 4x 1tb drives in a raid 10. It has Solaris as the OS and I use ZFS as the filesystem along with NFS and samba to share it out. I've lost a few disks over the years and never lost any data.

The major downside of course is that if you don't know Unix it would take a bit of learning to set up and run.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've had netgear powerline adapters for years with no issues, and suddenly started having an issue with one. I'm not convinced that the device itself isn't malfunctioning, but I haven't been able to swap it out yet to test. I get an intermittent connection on it during peak hours. And only on the one, I have two others in my house that function fine. Not sure if it may be related to load on a circuit or some other kind of activity on the power lines, but it only happens during the evenings and seems to sort itself out as it gets later. I have not been able to replicate it so far, driving me nuts.