Routers & Other Networking Stuff

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah I don't understand how you're running an "Ultra HD Blu Ray Rip" above 25 Mb/s. Most of mine are around 24 and doing a quick check on iptorrents the highest 4k I could find was around 58-60.

But even a gigabit connection is going to max out around 100-112. Theoretical max is only 125 MB/s through gigabit anyways.

In general, the ethernet ports in most TV's are dogshit and are only 10/100 ports.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
You two seem like you're talking with different units, General Antony said 100 mbps whilst others are using mb/s. Wikipedia says that UHD blu-ray specs 82, 108 and 128 Mbit/s depending on the disk size, so even with the small disk rip with protocol overhead you'd saturate a 100 megabit connection.

If your devices (unlikely w/ one being a TV) and switch support it you could muck with jumbo frames to reduce overhead.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have any experience trying to run games on a laptop with a hotspot? To be specific if I got the T Mobile unlimited hotspot and a laptop how well would I be able to play games like WoW / EQ2 and private WoW servers?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have any experience trying to run games on a laptop with a hotspot? To be specific if I got the T Mobile unlimited hotspot and a laptop how well would I be able to play games like WoW / EQ2 and private WoW servers?

I've played wow and eq1 on 4g with no issues before. It was actually faster than the hotel wifi. This was on verizon though so can't say how well T-Mobile will do as I never hear anything good about T-Mobile. I'd imagine if the 4g is strong wherever you are at it should be ok.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I've played wow and eq1 on 4g with no issues before. It was actually faster than the hotel wifi. This was on verizon though so can't say how well T-Mobile will do as I never hear anything good about T-Mobile. I'd imagine if the 4g is strong wherever you are at it should be ok.
Sweet thanks braaah

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
This should get you where you want to go.

Flashing TM-AC1900 to RT-AC68U/P ~ Bay Area Tech Pros

Basically you downgrade your TM AC1900 so you can enable SSH then flash it to an AC68U. From there you can install whatever AC68U CFW you want. Official ASUS FW is not recommended because they have been detecting the T-Mobile router and flashing it back. There is a spot where you upload a file and have to select a FW to use as a base, 1.0.2.0 US AiMesh worked fine for me and then I was able to upload a custom through the normal router admin panel.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I have a Nighthawk R7000 that seems to be locked at 210 mbps during speedtests and downloads. I have gigabit internet and get 940 mbps when I plug directly into the modem, but always exactly 210 mbps through the router, regardless if its through wifi or ethernet (tried cat5e and cat6a cables)

I've turned on/off every setting imaginable, which doesn't seem to affect it at all. Also tried factory reset and updated firmware. Always that damn 210 mbps. I'm far from an expert on routers, so does anyone know what the deal might be? Is the router defective, not good enough for what I want (says it's rated for 600/1300 mbps), or am I just dumb and it's some sort of operator error?

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I have a Nighthawk R7000 that seems to be locked at 210 mbps during speedtests and downloads. I have gigabit internet and get 940 mbps when I plug directly into the modem, but always exactly 210 mbps through the router, regardless if its through wifi or ethernet (tried cat5e and cat6a cables)

I've turned on/off every setting imaginable, which doesn't seem to affect it at all. Also tried factory reset and updated firmware. Always that damn 210 mbps. I'm far from an expert on routers, so does anyone know what the deal might be? Is the router defective, not good enough for what I want (says it's rated for 600/1300 mbps), or am I just dumb and it's some sort of operator error?

I had one in my office, it was limiting me to ~600mbps. Swapped it for a switch, wow hi gigabit.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I had one in my office, it was limiting me to ~600mbps. Swapped it for a switch, wow hi gigabit.

Switched it out for as Asus WRT1900acs and the wifi is just over 500mbps now. Wondering if I should return it and go up a level for a router. Kind of sad none of these routers that claim to get 1300mbps can't even give me half that

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I switched all my network gear over to Ubiquiti. They update their firmwares to fix vulnerabilities.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
So moved into a new (rental) house and am switching to ATT Uverse, from the looks of things I am going to end up needed two wireless receivers for our two TVs because of shitty placement of outlets/phone jacks in this house at the cost of $9/month per receiver. I’m wondering if there is any good product out there to convert a WiFi signal to Ethernet output so I can just use the standard wired set top box. Googling briefly it seems like I’m looking for a “wireless Ethernet bridge” but I’m not sure if there is some other solution or how reliable this idea even is, anyone have some experience?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Bridging wireless generally doesn't work out that great and isn't exactly trivial to configure correctly. You could try some of those powerline adapters (http://a.co/bAnOuBU something like these) but that's a crap shoot on performance. I'd probably still try those first though.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Except for the initial setup hiccup of figuring out that I had to download the management utility from their website to do the setup, Ubiquiti was no more difficult to setup than any other AP imho. Sure, if you play around with some of the enterprise features yeah, but for simply setting it up to be a dump WAP access point? Easy peasy.. Plus, any additional AP you add basically has one click setup with the "adopt' function.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

^ Might be a solution for you.

Otherwise if you can just get a hard line from the router to a couple Ubiquiti access points I've loved my setup that way. I use their "HD" versions but you could definitely go with a cheaper version like their UAP-AC-PRO or even cheaper versions than that. Just a thought.

Orbi has all types of firmware issues, i had one and it was full on plague so i gave it to my mom for her birthday - Eero pro worked well but in the end i just ended up with a Nighthawk X10 and Ex8000