Routers & Other Networking Stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Installed any new appliances anywhere? Installed higher wattage lightbulbs? Changed anything at all electric-wise?

Powerline adapters can be so hyper-sensitive to that shit sometimes. Could just also be one of your endpoints dying, just swap one of the problem ones with another that works good and see if the problem changes location.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I had heard that they could be very sensitive but I had never had issues so I was surprised. I thought my router was dying at first. Nothing new in the house that I can think of. My wife has this big ass industrial embroidery machine but she's had that for like a year, this problem popped up like a week ago. Hoping it is just a dead endpoint, I have another one I just have to dig it out and I will swap them out.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This is kind of a hail mary but I figured it was worth a shot to see if any of you had any ideas. I've swapped out each powerline endpoint, validated the wireless is fine, the switches are fine, the router is fine, the eero setup is fine. It really has to be interference on the line. Check out my shitty network drawing below. The powerlines are represented by the external HDs because they kidn of look like them. The radio towers are WAPs. The only way to access the servers in the basement is via Powerline Charlie. I can access it from the wireless fine, which connects to Powerline Alpha via a switch. The problem comes from using the system on Powerline Bravo and trying to contact the servers off Charlie. If I turn on wifi and disable the ethernet on the system off Bravo, it connect fine. If I try to go over ethernet again, I get like 2k ms ping and then it just dies. So the source is narrowed down to the line between Powerlines Bravo and Alpha, but I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Is there an reasonable way to try and find the source of the interference or do I have to just go fuck myself?
home_networkhtml.png

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Did you try replacing the outlet it's plugging into? Or at least check that all the wires are hooked up correctly? Might not be grounded or have hot/neutral reversed. Are all of these power lines on one circuit?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
All three are on separate circuits. The outlet is hooked up correctly, so that's out. Out of all the things I tried, I never actually tried just moving the damn thing to another outlet on the same circuit.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
All three are on separate circuits. The outlet is hooked up correctly, so that's out. Out of all the things I tried, I never actually tried just moving the damn thing to another outlet on the same circuit.
Did that work?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Depending on the house you need to check the quality of your breakers. I try to avoid using power lines at customer's houses at all costs as there are so many variables going into their functionality.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I only got it because the wireless was spotty back in the day. Been using wireless for everything except my server since this issue popped up and with the eero it's been flawless. So I may just give up on it. I do want to try this last thing, for my own knowledge.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
So movig from a single bedroom apartment to a 2100 sq foot single floor home. Any recommendations for routers and range extenders to cover that amount of space?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So movig from a single bedroom apartment to a 2100 sq foot single floor home. Any recommendations for routers and range extenders to cover that amount of space?

You should be able to cover your entire house with a single Ubiquity LR AP. I bought one to supplement the insufficient range of my Asus RT-N66U, and I ended up just turning off the wireless on my Asus because the Ubiquity pretty much covered my entire home (2400 sq ft). They are *hands down* the best AP's out there-- basically commercial grade gear at consumer prices. Even if you do need to buy multiple, they hand off the signal to each other *far* better than any consumer grade device does.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01609AF22/ref=psdc_1194486_t3_B015PRCBBI

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
You should be able to cover your entire house with a single Ubiquity LR AP. I bought one to supplement the insufficient range of my Asus RT-N66U, and I ended up just turning off the wireless on my Asus because the Ubiquity pretty much covered my entire home (2400 sq ft). They are *hands down* the best AP's out there-- basically commercial grade gear at consumer prices. Even if you do need to buy multiple, they hand off the signal to each other *far* better than any consumer grade device does.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01609AF22/ref=psdc_1194486_t3_B015PRCBBI

Thank you

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Asus ac88u covers my house plus backyard and front yard. 2200 square foot single story. Hope that helps

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
I've started streaming 4k HDR movies to my TV recently. I tried using wireless at first but was seeing a lot of buffering so I switched to using ethernet from PC to router and router to TV. That fixed most of the issues, but some video is high enough bitrate to max out my throughput at exactly 100 Mbps - is this most likely due to router limitations? I have some small shitty TP Link thing.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I've started streaming 4k HDR movies to my TV recently. I tried using wireless at first but was seeing a lot of buffering so I switched to using ethernet from PC to router and router to TV. That fixed most of the issues, but some video is high enough bitrate to max out my throughput at exactly 100 Mbps - is this most likely due to router limitations? I have some small shitty TP Link thing.

A 4k video feed uses 15-25mbs tops. If you're peaking at 100, something else is going on. That being said, 100 is most likely a router limitation, as many don't have gigabit ports. Actually, it's unlikely that your TV has a gigabit port either because it just isn't necessary.

P.S: If you have the option of using ethernet cable instead of WiFi, always do so. It's just less problematic overall.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
A 4k video feed uses 15-25mbs tops. If you're peaking at 100, something else is going on. That being said, 100 is most likely a router limitation, as many don't have gigabit ports. Actually, it's unlikely that your TV has a gigabit port either because it just isn't necessary.

P.S: If you have the option of using ethernet cable instead of WiFi, always do so. It's just less problematic overall.

These are Ultra HD Blu Ray rips, not your Netflix quality 4k.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
http://a.co/0Z6uOE2

Ordered two of these today. They are Tmobile branded but you can easily revert them back to stock ASUS ac68u. The latest official ASUS firmware release will allow you to mesh these, though I'm probably going to just flash the merlin fw as I actually prefer multiple SSIDs. I was using Netgear r6300v2 x2 until lightning claimed on of them. I've been needing to replace it so this deal popped up at the right time.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
These are Ultra HD Blu Ray rips, not your Netflix quality 4k.

Ok, then assuming they require more than 100mbs (which I still find unlikely) you’ll need a gigabit router and verify whether the Ethernet port on your TV is gigabit. Outside of those two requirements it will be plug and play.