Routers & Other Networking Stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Try first to have the iPhone "forget network" then also reset network settings on the iPhone. When you move from one iPhone to another they tend to transfer over the config and settings, so not surprising she'd continue to have the issue with both phones. Meanwhile the iPad has a good config. 9/10 it's the device.
Thought this fixed it, but then it started again, or she mentioned it again at least. Started noticing it on my work iPhone as well. 2 routers, 3 different iPhone's... I have no idea what's happening. Typically texts and whatsapp messages will go through, but not any social media or webpages.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can attest 6.7 is the best version yet, I have been using ESX since version 4. I don't know about threadripper but have seen videos with them working on ESXi. I have tried my AMD systems with it and for the most part it works but for me it would never recognize either the storage or nic or sometimes both. Intel has been the most consistent for me.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Which routers? What modem? What service?
Hey acid, sorry for late reply. Been out of town where it's been out of sight out of mind.

Modem:
Router:
Comcast cable service. Tried connecting to 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks, and doesn't seem to make a difference for my wife's iPhone.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We're moving in February, and I just did an online check for what kind of internet is available since the owner barely knows what internet is (they share one laptop in a family of 4.. ugh, luddites)

ZbY63n6.png

about
fucking
time

(I only get 25/5 right now)

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
We're moving in February, and I just did an online check for what kind of internet is available since the owner barely knows what internet is (they share one laptop in a family of 4.. ugh, luddites)

ZbY63n6.png

about
fucking
time

(I only get 25/5 right now)

Makes me feel less like complaining that I'm stuck with 250/40 because my HOA wont let gigabit get installed yet.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
OK guys I've just bought my first ever property and it has fiber direct too it to a cupboard under the stairs. Never had fiber before as it's still rare in the UK. My computer room is upstairs and obviously need's to be hard wired.

Looking for some tips on how to set up my network. Is it better to have my fibre modem downstairs and run a wire to a router in the computer room and network from there or will I lose speed in comparison to trying to get the fibre directly into the computer room?

edit: will need good WiFi coverage for the rest of the property which is a 3 bed house around 1100 Sq ft. If it helps with product selection

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Anyone have access to any Cisco entitlements for the ASA 5500-X series? Specifically, I need to download the SFR updates for 6.2.0.6 -> 6.2.3 and 6.2.3 -> 6.2.3.9, and the associated boot images.

Trying to get this done here before I go try to find one at work to add to my account, because that's just going to be a ton of work.

I don't have the entitlement on my own account because I bought the ASA second-hand. I really hate Cisco's entitlement system.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have access to any Cisco entitlements for the ASA 5500-X series? Specifically, I need to download the SFR updates for 6.2.0.6 -> 6.2.3 and 6.2.3 -> 6.2.3.9, and the associated boot images.

Trying to get this done here before I go try to find one at work to add to my account, because that's just going to be a ton of work.

I don't have the entitlement on my own account because I bought the ASA second-hand. I really hate Cisco's entitlement system.

I can try tomorrow. We had an old customer with ASA55 equipment, if they haven't updated their cisco credentials might still be able to login.

Are you updating past 6.2? Be careful they changed the config file syntax for NAT in 6.3 and it will royally fuck an ASA.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
ASA firmware, I'm at 9.9.2. Can't go any higher (9.10.x) as it breaks sfr on lower-end 5500-X models.

It's ok, I have a good understanding of ASA config (and backups) -- just don't have the entitlement, because the guy I bought the 5506-X from won't link it to my account. Last time I buy anything Cisco second-hand.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Moving to a new apartment and getting a new ISP and need a router. Don't need something super complex, just something that isn't going to shit the bed trying to go through walls in a 2BR apartment or from having ~10 wireless devices on it. Any suggestions on something not too pricey? Haven't had to use a router in a good few years, so dunno if a standard cisco router is fine or if there's a better option these days.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I installed docker on my synology/xpenology NAS, with it I installed UNMS for it and all seems to be working well except when I try to add my Edgerouter.

It can find it if I plug in my local subnet (192.168...) but when adding it to UNMS it fails. I see docker does some sort of NATing I think with a 172.x.x.x subnet, I never used docker or UNMS before, does anyone know if UNMS needs to be on the same subnet as the devices it discovers/adds, or is there any way to make docker give it an ip from my lans dhcp server?

edit: So one things I noticed is the docker does is port forward for 443/80, so while it could seemingly reach my edgerouter it wasnt hand shaking, what I didnt realize is it populates the UNMS key on it, but looking at the key it had 443 in it, I swapped 443 with the port docker uses to forward and it picked it up right away.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So I have some shitty netgear router that doesn't allow me to access it if I'm not on the network. Trying to setup a dev environment where I can remotely access it to turn on/off port forwarding.

Recommendations on a non-shitty router that's remote dev friendly?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
So I have some shitty netgear router that doesn't allow me to access it if I'm not on the network. Trying to setup a dev environment where I can remotely access it to turn on/off port forwarding.

Recommendations on a non-shitty router that's remote dev friendly?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
There's no setup option on the Netgear to allow WAN remote administration? That's pretty unusual these days.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
There's no setup option on the Netgear to allow WAN remote administration? That's pretty unusual these days.
My specific router doesn't allow it because it's some old cheapo one