Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, my network is currently FUBAR and I can't forward any ports for torrenting.

I've done a couple of hours of research and just can't figure it out and still no idea where to start.

I previously had a Ubiquiti bridge setup with my neighbors, but they moved so they gave me back their bridge and still have my side setup. I'm guessing I need to remove mine as well? IDK. Q_Q

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What's "wifi range extending leap frogging off each other's wifi"?

Is that layman speak for AP hand off, which the Ubiquities do? It's just called fast roaming I think.
I was pretty sure he might mesh wi-fi, not simply roaming.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
What's "wifi range extending leap frogging off each other's wifi"?

Is that layman speak for AP hand off, which the Ubiquities do? It's just called fast roaming I think.

I meant some AP's not being hardwired and acting as Wifi repeaters.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, my network is currently FUBAR and I can't forward any ports for torrenting.

I've done a couple of hours of research and just can't figure it out and still no idea where to start.

I previously had a Ubiquiti bridge setup with my neighbors, but they moved so they gave me back their bridge and still have my side setup. I'm guessing I need to remove mine as well? IDK. Q_Q

LOL @ me.

My hard drive was full, so all of my downloads would error out. -_-

• 4Worf
  • 2EyeRoll
Reactions: 5 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have suggestions for a home network router? We stream on two tv's, sometimes simultaneously. My computer that I play mostly MMO's on is right next to where the router is so currently hard wired. Both TV's run on wifi. Two adults using phones on the network as well. I live in the middle of no where so security issues aren't a real concern. I don't want to break the bank but I want the wife to have an easy solution for streaming on the far tv (right now the Roku drops some times). My current set up is like 12 years old so not worth saving. I've read about access points and routers? I've seen some people using their electrical system as networking cables. What's the best?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Really depends on the layout of your house and where you actually able to put your router(s)/devices. Access Points have to be wired to a main router with an ethernet cable. If your house is new enough you can probably repurpose your phone jacks (I can explain more on that later) to use for data. AP would provide the best performance.

The powerline range extenders are a decent alternative but you can't really predict how well they will work in any given setup. Sometimes they work awesome in one set of plugs and barely or not all in others. - PowerLINE 1000 + WiFi If it were my only option though, I'd go for something like that.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
In the house I’m currently in (just renting so can’t do a whole lot to it) I am using Ethernet over coaxial cable and it has been great. I have “gigabit” internet and hard wired I get about 700-800Mb/s whereas using an access point over coaxial I’m around 500. It isn’t perfect but it’s good enough and I felt like it was more reliable than powerline Ethernet would’ve been in this house built in the 50s.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
In the house I’m currently in (just renting so can’t do a whole lot to it) I am using Ethernet over coaxial cable and it has been great. I have “gigabit” internet and hard wired I get about 700-800Mb/s whereas using an access point over coaxial I’m around 500. It isn’t perfect but it’s good enough and I felt like it was more reliable than powerline Ethernet would’ve been in this house built in the 50s.

That's a good idea. The last time I looked into media converters for coax to ethernet they were a bit cost prohibitive, but that was 10ish years ago.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Intermittent wireless probably are probably my least favorite type of problems to trouble shoot. My wife's iPhone continues to have wireless connection issues. These problems have persisted across 2 iPhones, and 2 routers.

Upgraded my router a while ago from ASUS RT-66 , the N-band version, to a newer Linksys router that also broadcasts AC.

Wife's iPhone 6s wireless will just straight up not work, and she'll have to disconnect/reconnect. Or she'll be browsing Facebook and all of a sudden it'll tell her poor connection. Then she upgraded to the new iPhone XR, and it's now doing the same thing? Having her switch to the 5ghz network helped a little, but not really.

I get a weird feeling that it'll be some random setting on the router that Apple play nice with, but this doesn't happen on my daughters old iPad, so why just the wifes iPhone?

Any help appreciated.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Intermittent wireless probably are probably my least favorite type of problems to trouble shoot. My wife's iPhone continues to have wireless connection issues. These problems have persisted across 2 iPhones, and 2 routers.

Upgraded my router a while ago from ASUS RT-66 , the N-band version, to a newer Linksys router that also broadcasts AC.

Wife's iPhone 6s wireless will just straight up not work, and she'll have to disconnect/reconnect. Or she'll be browsing Facebook and all of a sudden it'll tell her poor connection. Then she upgraded to the new iPhone XR, and it's now doing the same thing? Having her switch to the 5ghz network helped a little, but not really.

I get a weird feeling that it'll be some random setting on the router that Apple play nice with, but this doesn't happen on my daughters old iPad, so why just the wifes iPhone?

Any help appreciated.
Try first to have the iPhone "forget network" then also reset network settings on the iPhone. When you move from one iPhone to another they tend to transfer over the config and settings, so not surprising she'd continue to have the issue with both phones. Meanwhile the iPad has a good config. 9/10 it's the device.

Crone

Try first to have the iPhone "forget network" then also reset network settings on the iPhone. When you move from one iPhone to another they tend to transfer over the config and settings, so not surprising she'd continue to have the issue with both phones. Meanwhile the iPad has a good config. 9/10 it's the device.
Now that you mention it, she did back up her iphone to itunes, and then restore it, so any wifi settings would of been saved. Good point. She's done the forget network thing, but hasn't reset the network settings I don't think. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay so when I try to watch something through plex on my tv with my fire stick it tells me it's connecting indirectly even though it's on the same network as my PC. This is annoying because then it forces my PC to transcode the shit instead of just playing the original file. It shows my connection to the server as secure on my tv, so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

How can I fix this? I'm assuming there is something I need to change in my router settings (I have a C3000Z with my Fiber internet)

I found this article, but it's not really helping me. I might just be too retarded to understand, because I don't really know shit about Network stuff

How to Use Secure Server Connections | Plex Support

Edit: NM, it's magically working now? Idk. I logged into plex and my router looking for things to change, couldn't find anything, but it works.

Last edited:

sukik

I have a question for you network savy folks. At work they're deactivating unused Ethernet ports to strengthen the wifi network. Do unused active Ethernet ports take up resources take up that many resources? To be fair it's probably going to be thousands across the entire campus so even if it's minuscule it'd probably add up.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Disabling unused ports will do nothing to improve signal or bandwidth or anything like that. When they say strengthen, they probably mean "more secure." It's a good security practice to disable any ports you don't use so people don't just plug something into it and have access to your device/network. That's only half the battle though, I'd hope that they have port security on the active ports to go along with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sukik

Disabling unused ports will do nothing to improve signal or bandwidth or anything like that. When they say strengthen, they probably mean "more secure." It's a good security practice to disable any ports you don't use so people don't just plug something into it and have access to your device/network. That's only half the battle though, I'd hope that they have port security on the active ports to go along with it.
That's the only benefit I could think of, and that makes sense. But they're definitely trying to make it sound like the network will be faster because they're shutting down all these ports, which sounded like BS. My area is still mostly wired so I'm probably gonna have to follow the network tech they send out to make sure they don't get overzealous. Port security isn't great besides physical security so this is probably long overdue.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have a question for you network savy folks. At work they're deactivating unused Ethernet ports to strengthen the wifi network. Do unused active Ethernet ports take up resources take up that many resources? To be fair it's probably going to be thousands across the entire campus so even if it's minuscule it'd probably add up.
If they're deactivating thousands of ports, they could be decommissioning tons of switches and completely re-engineering the wired network for more throughput and then putting the wifi on switches with dedicated switches with their own VLANs and trunks and blah blah blah. Who the fuck knows.

Network design is hard, especially if it was done badly the first time.

If I had to guess, they're doing a network refresh with some grant money or something, and they're replacing lots of crappy old switches with significantly less newer faster switches.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Any NAS users here?

I had one years ago, and recently added a Xpenology(Synology) VM to my ESXi host. They have come a long way since I had my little Qnap. I moved my Plex server off a dedicated Windows box to it and it didn't miss a beat. Looking for other ways to leverage this.