Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
I started with Plume and had very uneven performance and issues if it lost power for whatever reason.

Been running the Tenda Nova 3 pack for about $130 and it's been pretty damn solid.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Anyone know what kind of cable this is?

9E38644B-7752-4C52-9E08-908C2C8ED756.jpeg

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So what's the latest and greatest home wifi routers that don't look like a dang space ship?

Higgly considering going ubiquiti stuff as well, and seperate out the switch and router. Just for reliability.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So what's the latest and greatest home wifi routers that don't look like a dang space ship?

Higgly considering going ubiquiti stuff as well, and seperate out the switch and router. Just for reliability.
You won't regret the move, I felt it was worth every penny.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Nothing but high praise for all my ubiquiti gear.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Now if only these companies that make outstanding router and network gear would also make cable modems. That market seems to be all low quality chinese crap.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
What's ubiquiti's best router for speed? Comcast is slowly boosting everyone to almost gigabit speeds and there are areas in my house with deadzones. Thinking of wireless point and router.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you have deadzones you probably want more than one WAP.

Do you have a POE switch?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Nope. Never heard of POE switch until I started looking up Ubiquiti. And yeah, I was thinking of placing more than one WAP in the upstairs and the downstairs.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
What's ubiquiti's best router for speed? Comcast is slowly boosting everyone to almost gigabit speeds and there are areas in my house with deadzones. Thinking of wireless point and router.

The small Unifi USG gets me full fios gigabit. They have more powerful models but not necessary.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Nope. Never heard of POE switch until I started looking up Ubiquiti. And yeah, I was thinking of placing more than one WAP in the upstairs and the downstairs.
This is my "stack" and it's not cheap but it's beyond worth it in the long run.

<-- this is the "router" that touches whatever modem you have. You want to just bridge their modem straight to this.
<-- this is the POE switch that powers up the wireless AP's and connects all of the rooms back to the router.
<-- these are the wireless access points and I have two of them, one down and one up but you don't need the pros

You can get a regular switch and the AP's come with a POE injector, that will save a lot of money. You could also buy the AP's without the POE boxes.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Your images didn't work, @a_skeleton_03 . Will I need to have all of the access points connected via ethernet? If so, won't be possible for a while as I'm living in a old house. Lol.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Your images didn't work, @a_skeleton_03 . Will I need to have all of the access points connected via ethernet? If so, won't be possible for a while as I'm living in a old house. Lol.
Turn off your adblocker for this forum, they are amazon links embedded.

Yeah they need to be connected via ethernet but if you go with a single one it will be in the same room as your equipment. You definitely only need/want POE if you have CAT-5 throughout the house so you can just plug it in and it works.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Ubiquiti's should have the capability to do wifi range extending leap frogging off each other's wifi.