Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There are routers with good UIs?
The Ubiquiti Unifi management UI is pretty damn good, does a nice Aruba imitation, honestly better than the Aruba management UI in a lot of ways, but you need java installed locally (aka HIV/AIDS) or you need the management key installed.

The Edgerouter UI is... usable.

Cisco Meraki gear is pretty sweet as far as usability and manageability goes but Meraki gear costs a bit much unless you can buy the shit at partner prices (80% off.) Even with the opportunity to do so, I still stuck with my Ubiquiti gear because it's good for what I need.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I was reading the unifi forums and came across an interesting ad blocking solution. You set it up to run on your USG. So far it works as well as my piHole and doubt I will be using the raspberry for piHole any longer. If you are running a unifi system definitely worth checking out.

HowTo: Ad blocking using dnsmasq.d instead of /etc/hosts

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Most routers can do dnsmasq. If you can load wrt firmware, you can definitely dnsmasq. I use it to shut my kids youtube access down during certain hours.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Picked up a unused Linksys WRT1900AC at a garage sale on the weekend. Impressive specs on it but missing some stuff I love and depend on with my edgerouter-x.

I'm thinking of going the dd-wrt route with this but has been ages since I installed/used it. Does anyone know if there is deep packet inspection on dd-wrt? or if there is native support for usb3.0 storage

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
DD-WRT won't do dpi. I don't know of many consumer grade routers that will do DPI well. If you can, run something like ntop on a vm in your network for the best results.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Hello and sorry for the silly home networking question.

My modem is provided by my ISP
I have a desktop hard wired to it, then everything else on wifi.
The name of my wifi network is "command" it has everything on it. PS4, Xbox 2 TVs, 2 Rokus, 1 Chromecast, 2 phones 1 ipad, and ,my newest gadget a surface pro. (which i love and replaced my ipad)

My Surface pro connects to the WIFI and can see all wifi devices.
My Desktop - Hardwired, can not see any network named "command" it is hooked up to something called "network 6" it can also see all devices on the "WIFI" network. Including my Surface Pro. The Wired Desktop can stream to any wireless TV, can stream to the Roku no problems.

My problem is, i can not get my Surface Pro to access my Desktop shared folder.
Desktop can see the Surface Shared folder, but not the other way around.

Is it odd that i have two network names for what seems to be the same network?
Any suggestions on how i can allow my Surface pro to access my shared media file in this scenario?

I have ton of media on my desktop i want to access directly from my surface pro while at home but i can not seem to connect to the desktop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My problem is, i can not get my Surface Pro to access my Desktop shared folder.
Desktop can see the Surface Shared folder, but not the other way around.

Is it odd that i have two network names for what seems to be the same network?
Any suggestions on how i can allow my Surface pro to access my shared media file in this scenario?
Sound like your Windows share settings/permissions are not set up correctly on the desktop.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Hooking up FIOS at new apartment and haven't dealt with internet in forever. Don't really want to spend $12 a month on a router where is the best spot to buy one

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hooking up FIOS at new apartment and haven't dealt with internet in forever. Don't really want to spend $12 a month on a router where is the best spot to buy one

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Sound like your Windows share settings/permissions are not set up correctly on the desktop.

You are correct. Gave up and formatted the desktop, it was due anyway. Wow win 10 makes this easy.

Share settings worked like a dream on first set up.

Thanks!

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
So I purchased this router because I don't really need an all too strong one as its only a 1 floor apartment and all the reviews were really good. When it works it works fine and the speeds are great. However, it'll just randomly stop working and display this icon
discconect.jpg

I just have my computer main wired right now and it works fine so something with the router is up. Anyone have any possible solutions before I go buy a whole new one? Want t get it working before WoW classic

router.jpg

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, I got Fixed Wireless Internet bc I'm out in the boonies (10 min from town) and we can't get cable.

The problem is that my router is in the basement and Fixed Wireless routers come with ridiculous settings, so I can't just replace it with my Nighthawk.

The WiFi only reaches like 1/3 of the house. Any suggestions on extending the range on this craptastic router?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wifi extenders do exactly that. Depending on speed they're.pretty cheap. Had good luck with Netgear and tplink

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I grabbed this one, won't get it until tomorrow though. Used it at my parents house and it worked wonders

TP-Link | AC750 WiFi Range Extender - Dual Band Cloud App Control | 2019 Release | Up to 750Mbps | One Button Setup Repeater, Internet Booster, Access Point | Smart Home & Alexa Devices (RE220)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I grabbed this one, won't get it until tomorrow though. Used it at my parents house and it worked wonders

TP-Link | AC750 WiFi Range Extender - Dual Band Cloud App Control | 2019 Release | Up to 750Mbps | One Button Setup Repeater, Internet Booster, Access Point | Smart Home & Alexa Devices (RE220)

Just grabbed one. I'm guessing I can pick up a second one if I need it?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah you can grab as many as you want. Basically they're just acting as bridges. My in laws had to get a bunch because their ring video cameras had a very weak wifi signal. So they put one near each camera and solved it instantly.