Routers & Other Networking Stuff

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Wait, from what I've read it seems like you're not using your Nighthawk at all? Can't you just use that as an AP (access point) for your in house wireless? That would remove the extra APs you've purchased.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Wait, from what I've read it seems like you're not using your Nighthawk at all? Can't you just use that as an AP (access point) for your in house wireless? That would remove the extra APs you've purchased.

Only if the main router supports it and I haven't been able to figure out how to get the Nighthawk to work as an AP.

I have AT&T Fixed Wireless and the routers they use for that service are hot garbage. Plus, the router hooks into a box connected to the antenna, so there's additional settings for that and it doesn't use static IP/DNS settings. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

Apparently some people even have trouble gaming bc of the external IP weirdness.

LiquidDeath

Only if the main router supports it and I haven't been able to figure out how to get the Nighthawk to work as an AP.

I have AT&T Fixed Wireless and the routers they use for that service are hot garbage. Plus, the router hooks into a box connected to the antenna, so there's additional settings for that and it doesn't use static IP/DNS settings. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

Apparently some people even have trouble gaming bc of the external IP weirdness.

Gotcha.

I mean, if you can plug a cable from your AT&T router into your Nighthawk, then you should be able to do it. What model is your Nighthawk?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Gotcha.

I mean, if you can plug a cable from your AT&T router into your Nighthawk, then you should be able to do it. What model is your Nighthawk?

Ah. Never actually considered doing that. I was trying to setup the Nighthawk as an AP on the second floor. Isn't it kind of redundant to have your AP right next to the router?

IDK, it's probably 2-3 years old.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would be willing to bet you can turn wifi off on your AT&T router - but that said, I know all too well that ISP owned equipment can be seriously locked down.

Have you considered - or are you allowed to - purchase your own modem?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I would be willing to bet you can turn wifi off on your AT&T router - but that said, I know all too well that ISP owned equipment can be seriously locked down.

Have you considered - or are you allowed to - purchase your own modem?

I already tried it, but the settings on their modem/router are too weird for me to do it on my own.

LiquidDeath

Ah. Never actually considered doing that. I was trying to setup the Nighthawk as an AP on the second floor. Isn't it kind of redundant to have your AP right next to the router?

IDK, it's probably 2-3 years old.

Well, you can hard wire is somewhere upstairs for just your second floor. If you don't already have cat5e you can always do those powerline adapters. I don't use them personally but know people who do and love them.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I already tried it, but the settings on their modem/router are too weird for me to do it on my own.
Tmac will always be the guy that ignored our advice and still bought a $5000 gaming PC from Origins. Lol.

Let us help you this time brutha!

• 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Tmac will always be the guy that ignored our advice and still bought a $5000 gaming PC from Origins. Lol.

Let us help you this time brutha!

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus, hahahaha. Got me.

For what it's worth their sales/support department is so bad that I got two $5000 PC's out of the deal. :)

I've only had to replace one of the water-cooling units and a couple of fans. Ya know, bc $5000 PC's use the best parts and all that...

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Top one is obvi the Nighthawk and bottom one is the AT&T router/modem.

C1698965-BE29-464A-954D-7555A2829F4C.jpeg
7A04F100-49A0-4B76-8948-E960AB6B6892.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Top one is obvi the Nighthawk and bottom one is the AT&T router/modem.

View attachment 219530View attachment 219531

Here is the official support answer on how to set your current router as an AP. Have you tried this upstairs? Or at least at a point in the house you have good wifi but can use to extend it to the rest of the house?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Here is the official support answer on how to set your current router as an AP. Have you tried this upstairs? Or at least at a point in the house you have good wifi but can use to extend it to the rest of the house?

Yeah. I think the ATT router doesn’t support that kind of setup or something.

I bought the range extender Noodleface Noodleface suggested and that works pretty well. Only get like -10 Mbps.

Now the only problem is getting PSN working since fixed wireless doesn’t use proper external IP/DNS settings. I think they throw all of their users into some sort of hub.

It’s currently the only service I have trouble accessing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Mines working too.

Unfortunately I found out why my wifi signal is so weak. When I built my new desk I somehow broke two of the antennas on the router. Gonna buy some replacement and hope just the plastic was broken and not the port

Kais

<Gold Donor>
My brother just moved into a new place with structured wiring, but it's all fed (ONT too) down in a corner of the basement. I WANT to setup a ubiquiti network for him but he won't spend the cash for a USG, switch, security key, and 3 APs. Been looking at the Netgear Orbi setups but i hear they have disconnect issues. 4 stories including basement.

Any recommendations?